SCALFORD DATES ANNOUNCEMENT

CONFIRMED DATES FOR SCALFORD - March 17th & 18th 2018

graystoke4

Big amps big systems

107 posts in this topic

I use a Nakamichi CA7 pre into PA7 power, driving B&W 801's. Plenty of power but sophistication too.

My experience tells me that it is a myth that valves deliver a subtlety that SS does not; there are excellent amps in both formats and there is shite in both formats.

When I move into a smaller home, I will maintain my preference for SS amps but with smaller speakers. I will really miss the 801's badly.

2 x 67kg Krell monoblocks with 6kw transformers in each. Never seen measurements for my exact model but the stereo version of the one below (fpb600) managed a 6kw burst on stereophile measurements.

My experience tells me that it is a myth that valves deliver a subtlety that SS does not; there are excellent amps in both formats and there is shite in both formats.

:^

Super Wammer
I use a Nakamichi CA7 pre into PA7 power, driving B&W 801's. Plenty of power but sophistication too.

When I move into a smaller home, I will maintain my preference for SS amps but with smaller speakers. I will really miss the 801's badly.

The difference between good valve amps and SS are small, and these are mostly to do with output impedance and distortion, especially at LF, both of which are better with SS amps, but subjectively not a huge difference if any. Where there are larger differences are with the inexplicable popularity of very poor (and often very expensive) valve amps that defy commonly accepted norms of HiFi.

Low power amps requires the use of efficient loudspeakers, and unless these are very large, result in a compromised sound, especially if driven by a 1920s design valve amp.

As (SS) power is cheap, it makes little sense domestically to use high efficiency loudspeakers. It matters little if 95% of the power ends up as heat if what comes out is clean and uncoloured.

S

I'm usually asleep by the time Roger Waters hits a low E so I guess it's not that important to me.

With the Devialet, sleeping might be a normal state.......;-)

Having said that I have always liked the JBLs, they may not be ultra refined but boy do they rawk.

MC2 Audio MC650 here - 350 wpc into 8 ohms. Just sounds right really with the ATCs compared to everything before it. Smooth power, great weight and control, plus reliable. It's a keeper and had it for nearly 2 years now!

Super Wammer

Woo, yeah! Real he-man macho-mega-power :^ -- testosterone transistors

-- I need to express output power logarithmically or there won't be room on the page :rockin:

... err, like my 8wpc Yarland chinese valve amp. Perfect. :)

I am here mate.

600w into 8 ohms, 1200w into 4 ohms ....

That's what's running my bass drivers, there's another 270w 4 ohms on the mid and tops and then there is the active sub... Amp clipping isn't an issue.

The difference between good valve amps and SS are small, and these are mostly to do with output impedance and distortion, especially at LF, both of which are better with SS amps, but subjectively not a huge difference if any. Where there are larger differences are with the inexplicable popularity of very poor (and often very expensive) valve amps that defy commonly accepted norms of HiFi.

Low power amps requires the use of efficient loudspeakers, and unless these are very large, result in a compromised sound, especially if driven by a 1920s design valve amp.

As (SS) power is cheap, it makes little sense domestically to use high efficiency loudspeakers. It matters little if 95% of the power ends up as heat if what comes out is clean and uncoloured.

S

Agreed and in the end it all ends up as heat anyway!

Regards Andrew

Super Wammer
thanks Thetiminator spread the word to these weaklings with their 30 watt amps,, my toothbrush has 31 ,,

Guessing your toothbrush needs all of those 31 watts:minikev: