Nicky

Burning CDs

7 posts in this topic

Hi All

I know these days it's all about ripping CD's to hard drives DACs and streaming but was wondering about what happens going the other way? My son comes up with some excellent stuff but it's all downloaded files, given that the file quality is high are there any sq losses if I was to burn to CD ? Does the quality of the recordable CD make any odds etc? I'm a CD playing/non streaming/cheapskate idiot so any help at all would be wonderful.

Cheers N

2 paths, keep the original format and just copy and burn to the CD, depends if your player can play MP3 / FLAC or whatever format they are. The other is to upload the format to 44.1Khz CD Red book and have "a CD", burned from some inferior (probably) format. MP3 doesn't sound any better on a CD, why not use a memory stick on a PC and stream?

Super Wammer
Thanks for that Bob, it hadn't even occurred to me that my CD player might not like recorded CDs. One way to find out I guess. Cheers.

It depends on the CD player. My Meridian 206 was designed before CD-R was thought of, and whilst it'll play most CD-Rs that's only if I start at track 1 and let it play through. If I select, say, track 5 it gives an error and stops. Other CD players are happy with CD-Rs, but not CD-RW, as all these different forms of CD have different reflectivities and possibly, and I think, different data in the ToC which the CD player's software may not understand. The audio data should be identical whatever form of CD it is, but some of the control bits will/may be different.

S.

dBpoweramp will rip CDs with a verified rip at whatever lossless quality you choose and with perfect tagging and also in another part of the programme burn CDs either from digital files or from another CD. It costs (about £10 I think) but IMO is the the most reliable and hassle free programme out there.