Nagraboy

Beautiful Pioneer tape deck

If it's the match with the Leben you want and not necessarily the best performance this Pioneer is much keener priced and they are open to offers.

If it's the match with the Leben you want and not necessarily the best performance this Pioneer is much keener priced and they are open to offers.

That looks really good. I'm not sure where to pitch in with a tape deck though.

My current Yamaha that I got from a carbooter for £9 a few years ago sounds pretty acceptable TBH, even though it's a fairly late budget model. It's just a bit cheap looking/feeling. I'm not looking for the last iota of audiophile performance, just something that looks good and works nicely with tapes bought from Bandcamp etc.

I've seen a few serviced decks on eBay at decent prices and wonder if that's the way to go, rather than risking it with possibly faulty gear in need of expensive repair?

The GREAT era of cassette was really the late 70's when tape was the only viable alternative to LP.

IMO, prices dropped and sound from cheaper decks improved to only JUST below the 'king' decks of the 70's a few years later. Yamaha, Sansui, etc all made superb sounding decks in the 80's, but by then, most of the battleship build models had vanished.

That Pioneer was superb. I had it's baby brother (the 9191) which was sonically it's equal but shorter on tuneability and inputs.

Everyone now shouts about Nakamichi, but at the time, there was SERIOUS competition for them from Pioneer, Studer, Tandberg (the TCD910 is my 'top ever' shout, beating the Nakamichi Dragon by several whiskers) and others.

Pioneer were considered VERY serious makers then and the CT-F1250 probably the pinnacle of that range.

If you want 'sound for pound' look for a Yamaha from the late 80's.

If you want the best vintage deck there is, look for Tandberg, Pioneer or Nakamichi. There is NOT much between them. Condition will be all, looks vital.

As to cost, I'd say that one was a tad OTT, but bear in mind it's service, and reputation and it might be worth it IMO. The 9191 is less famous but reviewed as a Nakamichi beater at the time, and may be available for much less since it's a Prince, not a King. :)

there's one on the bay now...in the usa but yours, including postage and duty for around £230.

That Pioneer does look nice.

Cassettes from Bandcamp? What type of music? I've been downloading loads of music from the Sahel (http://sahelsounds.com/) via Bandcamp, and I know some of them are on cassette too. I don't even have a cassette deck now, but the Pioneer would tempt me if I needed one.

Super Wammer

I had the whole top end Tandberg set up and was indeed a seriously good sounding range of components and quirky in some ways although quite reliable. The issue with most decent quality gear is the difficulty of obtaining original parts and this to my knowlewdge includes Pioneer, Tandberg, Yamaha and others including the Sony Elcaset range.

Luckily I have kept some stock of Tandberg components but I think a friend is going to get them all soon because I do not need them anymore but the good thing about Nakamichi is that B&W still have parts plus there is a loyal following of this brand where even limited runs of parts and alignment gauges etc were produced up to (allegedly) original spec but not sure if better. Whilst living in London I had what amounted a tape museum that included open reels and all the Nakamichis plus Tandbergs etc, it just had to be sold off before I moved home.

I know of Chris Reynard who is a genuine Tandberg engineer and still has some parts, he serviced all my Tandberg gear but I think he might be retiring soon.

The GREAT era of cassette was really the late 70's when tape was the only viable alternative to LP.

IMO, prices dropped and sound from cheaper decks improved to only JUST below the 'king' decks of the 70's a few years later. Yamaha, Sansui, etc all made superb sounding decks in the 80's, but by then, most of the battleship build models had vanished.

That Pioneer was superb. I had it's baby brother (the 9191) which was sonically it's equal but shorter on tuneability and inputs.

Everyone now shouts about Nakamichi, but at the time, there was SERIOUS competition for them from Pioneer, Studer, Tandberg (the TCD910 is my 'top ever' shout, beating the Nakamichi Dragon by several whiskers) and others.

Pioneer were considered VERY serious makers then and the CT-F1250 probably the pinnacle of that range.

If you want 'sound for pound' look for a Yamaha from the late 80's.

If you want the best vintage deck there is, look for Tandberg, Pioneer or Nakamichi. There is NOT much between them. Condition will be all, looks vital.

As to cost, I'd say that one was a tad OTT, but bear in mind it's service, and reputation and it might be worth it IMO. The 9191 is less famous but reviewed as a Nakamichi beater at the time, and may be available for much less since it's a Prince, not a King. :)

there's one on the bay now...in the usa but yours, including postage and duty for around £230.

Great advice Rockie, thanks :^

That Pioneer does look nice.

Cassettes from Bandcamp? What type of music? I've been downloading loads of music from the Sahel (http://sahelsounds.com/) via Bandcamp, and I know some of them are on cassette too. I don't even have a cassette deck now, but the Pioneer would tempt me if I needed one.

Mainly electronic stuff - synth-wave, vaporwave, some Indy rock bands. I'll post some links later if I get time.

Super Wammer

Yes, the 70's and bit of middle decade 80 untill digital era become, the cassette was like a Queen of analogue audio reproduction, and many big audio makers was produced truely iconic decks. We all know, Nakamichi was must famous, but others are famous too, TEAC, Technics, and Sony, this last one produced in my opinion great cassette machines, likes 950ES, but ad I said previously in others threads, some precautions needs to be done before but any vintage Audio equipment, in this case if buy any deck. The over price of some audio vintage equipments are a complete non sense...and be careful...