Bazzer

Headphones for Ch******s present

20 posts in this topic

Super Mod

Sorry for the C word but the long 'aired un likes to be on the ball.

So headphones for son (21) listens to a load of shoite :D

They will be plugged into various portable devices , iphone, laptop , xbox etc.

He has had those Dr Dre Beat things and wants over the ear type again , I suppose they need to look cool.

Budget would be around the last pair which I think were £160 ish.

How about a pair of aiaiai TMA-2's: interchangeable components mean you can change drive units, ear cups, cables and headbands - a veritable Trigger's broom if you wish to go down that route.

I've been looking for somewhere local to try them out, to no avail I'm afraid. The concept of a meccano-type headphone appeals to the tinkerer in me.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro might fit the bill?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PK2LJ4E?keywords=beyerdynamic%20custom%20one%20pro&qid=1445537903&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

good cans. quite rare and very tweakable/customisable.

Super Wammer

Sorry for the C word but the long 'aired un likes to be on the ball.

So headphones for son (21) listens to a load of shoite :D

They will be plugged into various portable devices , iphone, laptop , xbox etc.

He has had those Dr Dre Beat things and wants over the ear type again , I suppose they need to look cool.

Budget would be around the last pair which I think were £160 ish.

Just a thought Barry, but for circa £190 all in you could get Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 on ear model + a Fiio X-1 DAP & a 64gb micro SD card.

I have these cans for use with my Fiio X-5/E12 Mont Blanc combo & even unamped they sound pretty good driven from an i-pod or phone. I also find them pretty comfortable for long periods.

Just thinking you could give him a mega present fer a similar budget.

I've been pleased with Grado sr80i which are readily available for under 100. Open back design. More models available if you want to spend a bit more.

Let's face it, headphones dont really look cool at all.

Super Mod

Cheers guys I have a few to research.

Super Wammer

The TMA-1's are a good shout. I like the plain black 'soft touch' finish (like on Lenovo Think Pad laptops). They are also the antithesis of the shite bling Dr Dre Beats headphones.

The B&W P5s are also within budget and are a stylish pair but perhaps a bit too 'classy' for a youngster.

The V-Moda crossfades are more 'street' and had good reviews (over on the head-fi forum and elsewhere).

These AKGs are decent. I have a pair of AKG 702's which have fantastic sound but they're open-backed so I won't be recommending...

These Beyerdynamic Custom 1's have adjustable bass and look suitably modern.

This may seem crazy given the price but I bought a pair of these for my son-in-law and was pretty impressed with the sound so bought some as a backup pair for my own listening. If you change to the (included) velvet ear pads they give quite a hi-end sound - way beyond Dr Dre.

If Barrys' son wants an Imperial stormtrooper or Pricess Leia look then go for the white ones......

297906_zpshblv3ztb.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm?sid=834d83e6dd1c9cab3b7d4034b7585ffa

These were recommended to me by a Wam thread and very good they are too.

Sennheiser HD 25

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00009ZSYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Much better than the Grado SR60 I had previously.

PS Love that Hawkwind quote in your sig! :)

It would be worth checking the impedance of any possible purchase if he's likely to be using it mainly on portable devices. Many "Hi-Fi" headphones have a relatively high impedance (into the hundreds of ohms) and also require a little more power to get a decent sound level. Many battery powered devices will probably struggle with the voltage swing required to drive them to a satisfactory volume.

Super Mod

PS Love that Hawkwind quote in your sig! :)

And if you click it :cool:

Super Mod
It would be worth checking the impedance of any possible purchase if he's likely to be using it mainly on portable devices. Many "Hi-Fi" headphones have a relatively high impedance (into the hundreds of ohms) and also require a little more power to get a decent sound level. Many battery powered devices will probably struggle with the voltage swing required to drive them to a satisfactory volume.

Thanks Kevin , what figures should I be looking for ?

Thanks Kevin , what figures should I be looking for ?

Sub 50 ohms tends to work best for driving directly from a portable device 16-32ohms is fairly ideal...also remember to look for a highish sensitivity figure, usually stated in decibel SPL (sound pressure level) milliwatts*(mw) to guarantee good ease of drive. The Senn Momentum on ear I mentioned are 18 ohm & have good sensitivity.