Cyclopse

HiFi News show 24/25 October

112 posts in this topic

Is no one else going this weekend?

Regards

Cyclopse

Super Wammer

Yes,

Myself and wife will be there (Sat) . Good to see names like Kef and Quad will be there.

Alan

I'll be there. Sandringham Rm 4. Keeping it fairly simple with a 2A3 integrated driving the new Heco's (if they turn up today!)

Come in & say hello.

Bit far away for me.

I'll be there. Sandringham Rm 4. Keeping it fairly simple with a 2A3 integrated driving the new Heco's (if they turn up today!)

Come in & say hello.

Will do Guy, all being well I shall be there on Sunday with Deggie, we can have a chat about football, a few things have changed at Anfield since we last met

Super Wammer

.... I will say ..Klop to that lee.............. hope the heco, s turn up ... love to hear them.

Super Wammer

I'll probably go on Saturday.

I was there today and it was very interesting. The ticketed Absolute sounds rooms were as expected although I was interested in the Audio Research and Wilson Sabrinas. The sound was good and less good. They were very natural, had good bass and scale but the dynamics sounded muted. The Constellation/Magico room was natural and everything a top quality SS set up should be. It was less sterile than previous Dartzeel/Magicos but still sounded a bit flat. They went loud but....

The TAD room was good and was run by a well known character from the olde days of the Wam. (Tony).

The most interesting room was Puresound. The first time I went in there Meh!!. Second time, yes it was good and far better than the previous speakers used, which were not to my tastes. The third time (after some plinky plonk jazz) I asked Guy to play the music much louder and to use some lively music. Boy what an improvement. The room filled up with sound and people. The sound stage opened up and became much bigger, the sound remained very natural and did not harden up, the bass remained tight (if a little fat but not unpleasant). Really a very relaxing sound. The speakers were a retro design that responded well to a bit of volume. The speakers had wide fronts with a big 10" bass and a silk tweeter(?) with horn loading. At 95 db efficiency they worked well with the 2A3 valves in this smallish room. Reminded me of the Audionote Es a bit. Have we doing it wrong all this time?

A lot of the other rooms were OK but not super special despite some super prices.

I was a little disappointed by the Vandersteen Treos. The music played was very flat and very quiet. The had a nice 3D sound and a great sound stage but sounded boring. Should have asked for more lively music and for the volume to go up a dozen or so notches. An opportunity missed.

Super Wammer

fab you could go . I really wanted to but can`t .

good to see the tad room impressed

was the puresound room using the new heco direct?

Super Wammer

.......... I will let you know phil.........:D...............pity you cant make it.

Poor old Joe Henderson. Eternally condemned for plinky plonk sax playing.:D

Yes, we are using the new Heco Direkts.

I got back home just an hour or so ago. I had a good time but right now my view of just about everything is clouded by having aggravated an old 'trapped nerve' problem in my right shoulder (over-the-counter painkillers aren't suppressing it to the point where I can ignore it and it's disturbing my sleep too :(). Anyway, it was good to see some familiar faces. Guy's room was a real pleasure, as always. The Unison Research Performance integrated (three 6550's per channel in parallel SE) was also sounding very capable in the hands of Henley Designs. I'm familiar with the big VTL amps and they were very much on song in the Studio AV room. My favourite half hour of the whole day, though, was spent in Tim Jarman's workshop where he demonstrated some very early CDP's. It's always a pleasure listening to someone who knows what he's talking about and who has a sense of humour too ;-).

VB