josh

Clarifying best methods for speaker/floor isolation

Hi all,

In perusing the threads on speaker isolation from a wooden floor, I've noticed there are three common methods of doing so:

1. Auralex pads (Gramma or Subdude)

2. Sandwich of sorbathane sheets between something massy like granite chopping boards

3. Acoustic foam between the granite and then have the spikes sitting on the granite

Really, is it just down to personal preference as to which method is best, or are there pros & cons to each?

With the Auralex pads, the Gramma and Subdude seem pretty similar to me, what's the difference between them?

Thanks,

Josh

The sandwich thing will work with a decent thickness of foam

or just foam under a slab of your choice...

or a sandwich and underfoam if you wish

spike/no spikes atop the platform... your choice

Bear in mind the sound will change as the speaker height goes up

In essence , all you have to have under the speakers is something that does not transmit vibrations and is stable ...

also bear in mind that most vibes to the floor dont come from the speaker cabinets..its mostly airborne and not structure borne

also bear in mind that most vibes to the floor dont come from the speaker cabinets..its mostly airborne and not structure borne

Are you sure about that?

Super Wammer

I've isolated my speakers from the floor using a layer of oak, hi density fiber board and polystyrene. It works a treat on the wooden floor in my loft but I haven't done anything about the airborne sound waves though. Not sure I even need to. :roll:

Try various methods and stick with the one which gives you the best sound. I tried:

1. spikes into little cup things direct on the floor

2. granite plinth with cork between it and the floor and the spikes on to the granite

3. granite plinth with cork between it and the floor and the spikes into little cups which sat on the granite

4. granite plinth with sorborthane between it and the floor and the spikes on to the granite

5. granite plinth with sorborthane between it and the floor and the spikes into little cups which sat on the granite

6. granite plinth with cork between it and the floor and 'feet' I made up with bits brought from here

7. 'feet' I made up with bits brought from here onto the wooden floor.

Number 7 was best sounding for me.

Why do people put granite/hard surface over the sorbothane?

I tried it to see if it made any difference to the sound and it did, it sounded terrible.

it mass loads and compresses the foam which then becomes more stable without adding any transmission losses..and it looks great too

If I feel my speaker cabinets.. they are hardly vibrating , yet I managed to this with sheer spl ... clearly airborne...

12011289_493665127480760_3182232823193500823_n.jpg?oh=59e84da2fff5ffbec0126b4d06549e54&oe=569F3505

If I feel my speaker cabinets.. they are hardly vibrating ,

Well, of course not. It's all gone into the floor! :roll:

:D

I have big speakers mounted on springs; little or no sound transmission. Small speakers on shelves fixed directly to the wall transmitted sound straight up and into the bedroom. YMMV.

Steering this gently back on track, is Auralex just an expensive branded way of achieving the same thing with sorbothane and a granite sheet then?

If one is to buy sorbothane pads, is just one sufficient or is there a minium thickness needed?

Concrete is not best known for it's resonance qualities. What exactly are you trying to do?

You forgot the builders method too.

Pull up floorboards

Build a cast and pour concrete

upto floor level from the ground

Cut floorboards around new slab

Fit decoupler of choice. .