martinm

Replace SBT with what?

125 posts in this topic

Super Wammer
I do not profess to have in-depth knowledge to be able to argue with any authority that one set up should be audibly better than another. My system includes a Synology NAS with Flac files, a Chromecast Audio feeding a Beresford DAC (a 7520 tweaked with upgraded Gaitor board, PSU and other bits acquired on the Wam used) that I am assured make a difference. I use an optical cable from the Chromecast to the DAC which is noticeably better than than the analogue cable. The DAC feeds my amp. The Chromecast Audio is powered by a cheap power supply rather than a battery. I paid £15 at Curry's for it and for that money it is simply superb. I control the Chromecast using an Android tablet with BubbleUpNp. It really is very simple, convenient and I use more than the CD player. If you already have a NAS and a DAC the Chromecast Audio is all you need and you are away.

Love it. Sounds like your Chromecast Audio-BubbleUpNp-Android does what my Squeezebox Duet-iPeng-iPad does. When my Duet gives up the ghost I will give the Chromecast a pop. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I don't have the skills or inclination to grow my own PSU. Maybe when I retire I will do so and sell them for £250 a pop! So the decision is between buying one at that price (ish) or sticking with the stock switched supply. I chose the former. If you or anyone else has the skills and patience to grow their own then I applaud you, seriously. But £0 for stock switched vs £280 for linear was not something I had to think too long and hard about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something you said in response to the OP is really interesting though. When I was an SBT devotee, I listened to a lot more CD than the SBT. I had two of them. I have since moved on but now I stream exclusively. My CD player has not been switched on in six months, my vinyl collection is unloved (although that has more to do with my inability to finish a project!). I have spent my money on software. I suppose we all have very different priorities when it comes to how we drop our cash. But then I can build a PSU. I couldn't code to save my life! 

1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

Something you said in response to the OP is really interesting though. When I was an SBT devotee, I listened to a lot more CD than the SBT. I had two of them. I have since moved on but now I stream exclusively. My CD player has not been switched on in six months, my vinyl collection is unloved (although that has more to do with my inability to finish a project!). I have spent my money on software. I suppose we all have very different priorities when it comes to how we drop our cash. But then I can build a PSU. I couldn't code to save my life! 

Is that the Simaudio 180 mind (and what power supply) you are using now?

Do you prefer it soundwise to the SBT or is it just easier to use and therefore gets more airtime?

Thanks,

Martin

The Moon moved on a while ago. I was using an iFi psu with that, and one with the SBT in my main system before it. I am using two items now. A device called a PiPO 9S which can go a long way to replicating the functionality of an SBT with the right software on a simple W10 platform. Costs around the same as a second hand SBT. The second which I only got running yesterday is an Odroid C2 which is Pi like but more powerful and much faster. Using the DietPi operating system I was able to download an image, load the OS, load the software of my choice (RoonBridge) and have the thing up and running in 45 minutes. Using the optional eMMC module it boots in seconds. I had it running my AudioByte Black Dragon and Explorer MQA DAC simultaneously which it did at about 6% CPU usage. The software I purchased was Roon and the Moon 180 went because it was never realistically going to integrate into Roon in a hurry. I use Linear DC power where possible now, but from rechargeable batteries primarily. I also use an Uptone Audio LPS-1 where it does most good at the USB interface. But I am happy to power the PiPO or C2 with the iFi supply. 

Super Wammer

Came across this from a news letter from Max2play and having read what it can do would see this as the direct replacement for an SBT but with the option which is very tempting to be made as a stand alone Music Streaming device with USB HD connected and no need to be connected to the Internet if you do not want that.

You can of course intergrate it with an existing Squeezebox system and use it either as the Server or a player . The DAC fitted is using the Sabre chip which has been getting a fair amount of good press .