Tweeter

Correct speaker plugs & narrower cable

Hi

This is my first post. I came here as this was the first HiFi forum Google pointed me towards.

I've owned a pair of B&W DM500 speakers since I bought them new in the late 80s and still use them to this day. I'm also using them with the original speaker cable which I think is called Talk2 cable. I've never been happy with how the cable connects to my speakers.... I think the connectors are called banana plugs. The problem is that the plugs only push into the speaker terminals about 1/4 of the way and sometimes drop out. To be honest I don't know why I've put up with them this long. The banana plugs also keep falling apart.

I don't really want to buy another set of plugs and risk them not fitting so I have been considering just buying some narrower speaker cable and wrapping the wire around the terminals and tightening them up the old fashioned way (this talk2 cable is too chunky to do that), but before I do would anyone here possibly know which plugs will fit the DM500's?

It would be nice if there were speaker plugs that fitted the amp terminals (Technics SUV660, another oldy) as well, as these horrible banana plugs don't even come close to fitting those. I just have to (with great difficulty because this speaker cable is so ridiculously chunky) wrap the wires around the terminals the old fashioned way.

I'm no audiophile by any stretch so perhaps I could get away with much narrower cable now?

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me towards the simplest solution. Many thanks

EDIT> Having just taken a closer look at the forum, I wonder if I have I come to the wrong place to ask what now seems like very basic questions compared to the topics I see here?

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you have come to the wrong place at all although debates about cables are not too popular here.;-)

From a practical perspective, something like a 42 strand speaker cable is a good compromise between not being too hefty to insert into amplifier terminals whilst having a low enough impedance over pretty much any domestic cable run length to be transparent. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of. Just google or go to your local Maplin / Richer Sounds / Screwfix.

There are those who will argue for exotic cables but I'm not one of them.

I'm not able to help on the banana plug issue as I'm not familiar with the sockets on your speakers, but re-making your existing cable with some better plugs might also be a good solution, although it sounds like the cables are more unwieldy than they really need to be.

Hi Tweeter and welcome to the forum. Are you able to provide some photos of the banana plugs you are using at the moment and the terminals on the B&Ws? This may help us to better advise you. From the sounds of it, I would just buy some narrower speaker cable such as Van Damme and connect it using the old fashioned method.

You could replace the banana plugs with spade connectors like these

1309007839_picresized_th_1309008201_YK3D4108.jpg

There's 2 options. You can get the ones as in the picture above and attach them to your cable ends using the locking screws, or, you can get the other type if you have a soldering iron and do the job properly.

They should be fine on the amp end too.:^

I agree with the proper banana plug or spade connectors options. Wrapping bare wire never really works properly, especially if the cable is chunky as it leaves bits of the wire exposed, meaning it usually oxidises and goes dull before long.

Super Wammer
You could replace the banana plugs with spade connectors like these

1309007839_picresized_th_1309008201_YK3D4108.jpg

There's 2 options. You can get the ones as in the picture above and attach them to your cable ends using the locking screws, or, you can get the other type if you have a soldering iron and do the job properly.

They should be fine on the amp end too.:^

:goodone:

I use these: (a cheaper version of the above) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161558329423

£5.45 for 4 including delivery, cheap as chips. Can be crimped or soldered on. :^

Thanks everyone for your input. I like the spade connector option. I think what ill do is buy the 42 strand cable because the cable I have is very bulky and inflexible, and some spade connectors. If the spades don't fit ill thread the cable directly and tighten the old way. I know it was mentioned that the old way isn't ideal with the chunkier wire, but the new cable will hopefully overcome that.

:goodone:

I use these: (a cheaper version of the above) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161558329423

£5.45 for 4 including delivery, cheap as chips. Can be crimped or soldered on. :^

Hi RV295. I might opt for the crimped ones you linked me to.Does the larger tubular section grip the cable and the smaller tubular section grip the wire?, and what is the technique for crimping as I only have pliers. Do I just squeeze down as hard as possible on each tubular section, or carefully fold down the walls of each tubular section seperately?

Ta

Super Wammer

I would not use pliers but you can get a cheap crimp tool from maplins or halfords etc.

$_57.JPG

The backs

Them be the ones :) Thanks for posting.

I'm at a different address to my HiFi this week so was unable to post the requested pictures of the terminals and plugs.

Super Wammer

If you cut it cleanly and twist the strands reasonably tightly, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with just using bare wire.

In fact, if you suscribe to some of the lunacy that hi-fi involves, it's beneficial, because it removes at least one connection (the cable into the termination).

It is more susceptible to oxidation and metal-to-metal chemical reactions, but then so are all connections.

It's a little more fiddly, but in electrical terms, it's as perfect as you will get.

It also saves unnecessary expenditure.