tones

Article on the show

I'm not an attendee (regretfully - it's a long way from Swizzieland and it generally coincides with Mrs. Tones's birthday), but I came across this by accident and thought I'd put it here for anyone interested and who had never seen it:

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/music/8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-something-were-not/

Super Wammer

Well for me it paints a poor picture of the show

I think it's bloody excellent.

Its an interesting insight from an outsiders view.............. entertaining read.

I think it's bloody excellent.

Me too

It wasn't written for the tiny minority of people who are dwell on hifi forums, it was written for the Esquire readership, it would have been very easy to write a piss taking hatchet job, and that is far from what was written. I read the article in the magazine (which also had an excellent article on Six Music) and it made a lot of sense in the context of the magazine and it's readership. There was quite a bit of discussion about it at 'Steve's' (JWS) bake off and the general consensus was that it was a very positive article.

Me too

It wasn't written for the tiny minority of people who are dwell on hifi forums, it was written for the Esquire readership, it would have been very easy to write a piss taking hatchet job, and that is far from what was written. I read the article in the magazine (which also had an excellent article on Six Music) and it made a lot of sense in the context of the magazine and it's readership. There was quite a bit of discussion about it at 'Steve's' (JWS) bake off and the general consensus was that it was a very positive article.

Yep, I was reading through it taking care not to misread. He's got our weirdness nailed. Some of it might look a bit piss takey if you skim read it, but it's the most accurate description of this hobby I've read.

Then to finish, he drops this paragraph. Just beautiful.

Who wouldn’t want music to sound this enveloping, this enrapturing? Would I spend £40,000 on a set of speakers? Would I rewire my house? Would I build a freestanding structure in a nearby barn? Of course I wouldn’t. But there’s a part of me that knows precisely why they do and thinks the rest of us don’t know what we’re missing.

We're complete lunatics in the eyes of the rest of the world. yes that includes you with you're crazy-ass valves and horns.

Deal with it. :)

I think it's a great article.

Why? Its both accurate and entertaining.

Super Wammer

entertaining maybe .....accurate that's stretching the definition of accurate ....maybe accurate in The Sun or Daily Star terms who relish making 95% of a story out of 5% of the facts, change names, focus on the extremes etc

entertaining maybe .....accurate that's stretching the definition of accurate ....maybe accurate in The Sun or Daily Star terms who relish making 95% of a story out of 5% of the facts, change names, focus on the extremes etc

There is a lot more than 5% factual comment in that article. I really don't get what you are having an issue with. Read, enjoy, move on :)

Super Wammer

I thought it was an excellent read, and certainly a fairly accurate view of us, from a outsiders perspective. It also starts off naming my system, so it must be a good read :)

There is a fairly amusing and po-faced comment from Michael Fremer of Stereophile at the end of the article. I thought it was a fairly balanced article myself.