myrman

Thorens mains question

My Thorens TD125 TT hardwired mains cable just has + and - mains connections. I want to add a socket for an external cable to the plinth. Will an IEC C8 figure of 8 type be ok or should I add an IEC kettle lead socket and earth the chassis somewhere?

correct, they all originally came with a 2 wire power cord and no earth. You might end up with an earth loop if you connect mains earth to the chassis and you also use a ground wire on the arm.

Super Wammer

A non-reversible mains lead might be better. I seem to recall that the hum level was slightly different depending on which way round the mains was connected.

Super Wammer
A non-reversible mains lead might be better. I seem to recall that the hum level was slightly different depending on which way round the mains was connected.

what ? :whistle:

Super Wammer
Reversible as in end-to-end?

or

Reversible as in Hot to Neutral at one end?

Reversible live and neutral.

Then it's no surprise that the hum levels are slightly different. Most transformers and motors are wound asymmetrically. So the noise leakage to chassis is greater from on terminal than the other. With the terminal that has greater leakage connected to Neutral the hum is less.

Thanks for the responses guys :^