unclepuncle

Avantgarde Zero 1 Pro - The End Game?

Ah, Paul has in fact installed two Black holes and Mark has managed to climb out of one. :notworthy:

Good to see you again Mark.

Meh.

:rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Paul has in fact installed two Black holes and Mark has managed to climb out of one. :notworthy:

Good to see you again Mark.

Mark had the honour of being the first Wammer to hear them an hour or so ago - clearly he was very impressed. Was good to confirm he was still alive.:)

As will Nick when he buys them off you before Christmas.

And the local bakeoff is????

Greg, I can barely fit myself in my listening room so a proper bakeoff would be like playing sardines.

Mark has been today, Nick's coming tomorrow and I know Pete (cobbler) is keen to hear them so I will gradually accommodate anyone who wants to hear them.:^

Scalford is very unlikely due to pet commitments.:(

Have they passed the Nils test ?

See 'what are you listening to right now' thread.:D

Yes please Paul, will PM to arrange.

As someone who also only uses digital you could get a pair of these and get shot of that shitty Jap amp and rubbish Long Eaton speakers.:P

Great buy paul ... hes still got them listed on his website....... enjoy :^

There is already a queue forming for that eventuality, but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.:nup:

3 months is an eternity in Wam Box Swapper time! :D

That wouldn't necessarily bother me at all. Most if not all of the vinyl I buy will have come from a digital master. I buy it because the DR is usually better. As long as the ADC is transparent it's all good.

Indeed. I have been putting my Io through an ADC for quite a while, as I use a digital active XO. It still sounds better; as Mark says, it's not the medium, it's the mastering.

Just had an interesting couple of hours at Paul's listening to the Zeros. Firstly they look great, I love the matt black finish and somehow they don't feel visually imposing even in such a small room. They seem to excel with vocals and acoustic instruments. The midrange is very good and the highs were never edgy, you don't get the top end air and detail that the Uno will give you but I don't expect that will surprise anyone. The soundstage is also very good. Paul played quite a range of material and the main issue in his room is the bass. The room is basically a cube on a suspended floor, add 2 x 12" bass drivers and its not surprising there are some resonance issues however most of what I heard they coped quite well, certainly well enough for these to stay in place for some considerable time but who can tell with one of our most seasoned box swappers :D It would be very interesting to hear them again on a solid floor. Thanks for the invite Paul and I hope they work out for you in the long term.

Nice to see you Nick.

The bass did seem a bit more problematic tonight (even when I turned it down to -4db), and probably because of that I felt they were sounding a bit less open and transparent than they had yesterday when Mark was round.

I'll continue to play around with positioning and supports and try to minimise this.

I have noted many times on here that my system's sound seems to change from session to session and weekday evenings have always been the worst time so maybe that played a part.:dunno: