Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Lazy music journalists

The other day I was reading something about The Arcade Fire in Uncut (I think) & yet again the description "chamber pop" was used: what the f*** does that mean? Is it just `cos they use a string quartet & some other non-standard instruments? Power out & Rebellion sound a tad rock-y to me, not what "chamber pop" might be taken to mean...

Same with Sigur Ros: when did you last read anything about them which did not mention the word "glacial". If one didn't already know they come from Iceland why use the sodding word!!! I mean to say, bands 7 & 8 on () sound like some mix of Six.bySeven & King Crimson and definitely :rockin:, glacial my arse.

It's just cliche-ridden laziness by unimaginative journos. Like the constant references to Radiohead or The Smiths being miserable, when both actually use a lot of very dark humour....

Who pays these tossers?

Disgruntled Boxer

never liked the music press much, went thru the "sounds" phase in my yoof, but since then, not keen on reviews of music, whenever bought on the strenght of a review i'm almost allways dissapointed, for me music is emotional thing, and that is very difficult to put into words, so I just take a gamble, or listen to others music first, or listen on radio, music journos seem to be a bunch of free loading egotistical fuckwit nobodies.

I put as much store by music reviews I read here and other forums as any by 'professional' music critics.... and the end result is I still end up buying stuff that gets played onceand never again :?. The only decent music critic is one's self.

But know exactly what you mean about standards of writing and predictability of cliches... and ordinary punters on the forums fall into the same trap too, and use the same cliches.

Its the same in classical world too, seems nobody can write about Sibelius without talking about frozen landscapes of snow and ice (same goes for any Nordic composer), Mahler is always neurotically sufferingdeath-obsessed (NO HE'S NOT!), Schubert similarly death-obsessed and lovelorn (For F**** sake these guys didn't know they were going to die!) etc etc. All total Bollocks. :Upset:

For a neophyte starting out on a classical collection, review resources like Gramophone and Penguin are invaluable as references on the wide variety of recordings available. However, their helpfulness ceases once the neophyte learns to assess the artistic merit of recordings using his own yardsticks (and thus awakens to these reviewers' deep biasedness.) Penguin worships Elisabeth Schwarzkopf & Joan Sutherland :roll:

As for pop music reviewers, they aren't worth sh*te. Different publications' resident reviewers can give widely differing takes on a single artist's album --- ranging from syncophantic to downright spiteful and maliciously insulting. I gave up reading these yonks ago.

SS

ps: Mahler wasn't neurotic all his life, but his music sure is.:roll:

A Penguin guide is essential for any newbie getting into classical - I'd would have bene lost without it. But, as mentioned, amazing how quickly you start to pick up stuff yourself.

Most of the albums I buy are from reading interviews with the artists themselves rather than reading the reviews. When I was a lad and started buying NME and Sounds I used to read the reviews and think "what the hell are the talking about", as the words were just pretentious drivel. Twenty years on and some of the reviews are just the same.

griffo104 wrote:

A Penguin guide is essential for any newbie getting into classical - I'd would have bene lost without it. But, as mentioned, amazing how quickly you start to pick up stuff yourself.

Most of the albums I buy are from reading interviews with the artists themselves rather than reading the reviews. When I was a lad and started buying NME and Sounds I used to read the reviews and think "what the hell are the talking about", as the words were just pretentious drivel. Twenty years on and some of the reviews are just the same.

Totally agree. I used to read papers like NME and Melody Maker and think , do these people even like music? They seemed more interested in outdoing each other in the use of pretentious drivel as you say. No wonder there sales fell. I for one stopped buying them.

Seems alot of music Journo's are under the impression they have to make you laugh first and report on the music second. Everytime i pick up Q its turning more into the musical equivalent of Loaded than an informative music mag. No wonder they've pissed off so many artists

And another thing: what do some of these numnuts listen on?

Recently read a review of a Sigur Ros single in The Guardian, guy kept going on about synthetic strings & brass: NO, IT FECKIN` ISN'T!!!! They are real strings & brass, as is obviouseven on the burned copy in my car, let alone the home system.

It's like a certain reviewer in HFC, who wrote of drum machines on OK Computer & "sonic fog" on Emmy Lou Harris' "Wrecking Ball", both of which comments are total, utter, utter& total bollocks - again, as is apparent in the car!

At least with Kessler, what ever you think of his taste in music or anything else, he listens on a revealing system, rather than 2 tin cans & a piece of string, as seems to be the case elsewhere...

It's no bloody wonder some of the comments are so off...

Boxer

I find the best way to find out about music is to listen to it. If on the radio a DJ says this next track is really good, you have a chance to see what you think yourself.

I discovered lads of music I wouldn't have given the time of day to if it hadn't of been for listening to the Robert Elms show on BBC London.

Very rarely read reviews. Thelast one I paid attention to was a reveiw that said Trivium were the best thing since sliced metallica, so I bought the album and they aren't in my opinion.

boxer wrote:

And another thing: what do some of these numnuts listen on?

Recently read a review of a Sigur Ros single in The Guardian, guy kept going on about synthetic strings & brass: NO, IT FECKIN` ISN'T!!!! They are real strings & brass, as is obviouseven on the burned copy in my car, let alone the home system.

It's like a certain reviewer in HFC, who wrote of drum machines on OK Computer

Actually there are effects on the drums on OK Computer. The leading edges are blunted, giving a strange affect like you're hearing them underwater. It's done deliberately though.

I cant stand Sigur Ros, those vocals, omg please stop...

Effects, yes, that's quite apparent, but not drum machines as the nugget said.

Yeah Jonsi's voice (Sigur Ros) does tend to divide opinion... but works for me.

Happy listening,

Boxer