Mattyboy

What do Monitor Audio GX300's like up em?

Ive Pm'ed him but trouble is Ive heard neither the Osiris or the Arcam...what to do?

I heard the Osiris with some Naim Ovator S-400 at Audio-T and anything that can make Ovators sound good must be a fantastic bit of kit :)

If you can afford it I'd just buy the Osiris blind as you will have no issues reselling it at no loss in 6 months. I'm surprised it hasn't sold already and if the market wasn't so slow at the moment I'd be very tempted to sell my DV kit and buy it.

Can see where you're coming from Chris; but buying blind at that price of an amp can be a dangerous game, as they're not always easy to sell on because of their price!

It took me an age to sell my NAD C165/C275BEE pre/power combo and an age to sell my Arcam FMJ A38 integrated/P38 power!

The guy selling the Rega has had it up for a while I think and it's certainly not moving that easily!

Market for higher priced second hand HiFi is shocking at the moment, but we are moving out of summer holidays. :)

Market for higher priced second hand HiFi is shocking at the moment, but we are moving out of summer holidays. :)

There is that!

Still, very risky IMO when really you should be able to get a local dealer(s) to happy home-demo one for you!

Dealer
Hegal 360 im sure should be very good also but £3400!

Hi Matt

We'll be soon be pairing Hegel's H360 with Monitor Audio's new Gold 300's :) Currently listening to the Gold 200's sounding sublime with a H30 :cool: and also watching the H30 bouncing the Gold 200's around the store :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Looks like I'm going to have to save my pennies then Rick. When does the 360 land?

Dealer
Looks like I'm going to have to save my pennies then Rick. When does the 360 land?

Hi Matt

We received our Hegel H360's today :cool: Please take a look :)

https://www.facebook.com/MusicraftUK

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?107904-Hegel-Audio-(-News-amp-Reviews)-At-Musicraft-(Derby)/page4

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Tasty! Hegel could be the Northern answer to Canadian SimAudio ;-)

Matt, as you are moving on from Elacs (and they are picky bustards as I've changed few amps because of them) ... I may speculate that MA may have the similar sonic traits ... picking up the neutral or slightly tamed amp is essential. Those tweeters do need careful matching. You are right about moving those bass drivers. Good current delivery is probably essential. I do find Class D exceptional with low end delivery but there may be unwanted sacrifice on other fronts.

Well hears a thing...I tried my Art audio concerto mk11 power amp via the pre outs of an Avi integrated I have... listened for around three hours or so yesterday thinking it wouldn't a) be powerful enough and b) not control the bass drivers properly. Man I was wrong!.... cannot believe I hadn't tried this before into my new Monitor Audio gold GX300's.

Suffice to say I'm now looking for a suitable pre amp as the Avi is sold. Any ideas?.....I'm still, open to the idea of an alternative integrated amplifier, but with Melody gardot playing last night through the Art it sounded very very good!

Say I couldn't find a great pre amp with the Art then what other valve amplifiers would work well into the 300's?

Tasty! Hegel could be the Northern answer to Canadian SimAudio ;-)

Matt, as you are moving on from Elacs (and they are picky bustards as I've changed few amps because of them) ... I may speculate that MA may have the similar sonic traits ... picking up the neutral or slightly tamed amp is essential. Those tweeters do need careful matching. You are right about moving those bass drivers. Good current delivery is probably essential. I do find Class D exceptional with low end delivery but there may be unwanted sacrifice on other fronts.

My experiences with class D amplifiers thus far is that I don't like their SQ. Hegels not class d is it?

I find the Monitor Audio GX300's are quite different to the ELac BS244 and are not comparable other than they are both loudspeakers.

- - - Updated - - -

Just buy mine and have done with it Matt. Satisfaction guaranteed. Try as many boxes as you can within your budget, it's all part of the fun.

Possibly. But I have a number of other options I wish to pursue first you understand. GLWTS cheers Matt