myrman

Whittlebury show 19-20 Sept

147 posts in this topic

Interesting musings, I can't agree at all on the Klark and Magnific rooms though:nup:.

Edited, re read posting.

Super Wammer
Interesting musings, I can't agree at all on the Klark and Magnific rooms though:nup:.

Edited, re read posting.

Good. Wouldn't want to agree on everything. I think this supports the point of doing both days and hearing different music. I just don't have the time nor the inclination to do that.

good to hear it both are small uk companies that have made a real big effort and that corridor was rather challenging especially with Hi Fi hanger belting tacks out at high level with door wide open.. even with the door shut on Sunday in that corridor the volume was far higher than i would have prefer'd but any lower and all you could hear was breakthrough from the other room... not an easy environment and i feel if you have nothing good to say about a small company doing their very first show then don't say anything...

Super Wammer

A very enjoyable weekend on the whole, we came down on the Friday night, enjoyed a lovely meal at the Fox and hounds in Whittlebury before signing in on Friday night. The rest of the evening was spent chatting to Chris Harris and his lovely wife Dawn in the bar.

An early breakfast and straight into the show, stopping first in the Chase the Dragon room with the big ART’s and spending the day wandering round the show meeting loads of friends both old and new. Saturday night was spent with Lindsay and his lovely wife Margaret in the old Thatched cottage talking about music, hi-f and a host of many other things. Followed by a visit to his house to listen to his Roksan fronted Naim system and very enjoyable it was too.

Another early breakfast followed by a brief visit to the show to buy some vinyl and to see a few more friends and we were on our way home after a very busy, enjoyable weekend.

Oh yes, the music or should I say lack of it. There was a distinct split in music quality this year. Firstly you had the Cymbiosis rooms, three rooms of sheer music from the Linn/Titan room, the Naim/Titan room and the Chord demonstration room which Karen and I found really interesting. Nigel and Doug clearly demonstrated the effect of upgrading from Sarum, Super Sarum to the new Music cables. On top of that they showed the clear improvements to be had with their system and speaker stand bases.

The rest of the show was poor to the extreme, the big DCS/Wilson room was huge, huge price tag, huge soundstage and bassline but lacked quality, no emotion, unable to connect, a huge disappointment. The Audio Emotion room with the huge Chimera’s, sorry speakers was funky, hugely impressive if you want an outdoor firework exhibition but again lacking in musicality.

The Rahidio’s produced one of the worst sounds for them, normally I enjoy them at shows but not this year, dull and drab. The Devaliot Phantomes, yikes!

The other rooms were so forgettable I couldn’t even mention them!

However there was hope out there, coming back to the Chasing the Dragon room, that was great fun, the big ART’s Systemdeck TT and the Solution amps as asked about by shanks. They were playing big band music, a real change from the plinky plonk of other rooms. I really enjoyed it and it really brought back the nostalgia of the 50’s and the system sounded like a big 50’s valve system, warm and cuddly but huge fun.

Finally for us, the only system worth spending more than 10 minutes in was Peters room with the LP12/Naim and the Kudos Titan, probably the best I have heard the Titans play. Karen and I spent a long time just listening to music, feeling very much at home and enjoying every minute of it. It was good to see they back and so obvious what the show had been missing over the last few years.

Super Wammer

I did indeed but didn't stay for long as time was short, nothing wrong with it but didn't excite and a tad different to what I am used to.

Super Wammer

Great review, i cant remember that last time Vinyl outgunned CD on demos, there was some streaming to, Hi fi Hangar was pretty good, wasn't as busy as last year tho but a great day out....

Super Wammer

Indeed and I will only express my opinion

Good to catch up with you at the show,Anthony :)

Vinyl passion is I think referring to the room with Magnific speakers which on Saturday( quieter) produced an excellent rendition of our test record exceeding in emotional impact one other way more expensive system. These large stand mounts deserve a good listen IMO at this price level and so I can understand a certain frustration when their subtle quality cannot be heard. I'm sure the intelligent internal wave control within an unassuming box will appeal at a future venue to those appreciative ears not requiring bling .All IMO of course!

Super Wammer
Look through 8 pages of this thread and there was only 3 pictures from the show and one of them was cables?! Arrrghhhh....

Look more closely at post #137 :)