SMEagol

cooking tuna steaks... umm help...

Instructions said mid heat 3mins each side, I ended up with something that still had a pulse.

Last time I cranked up the heat and it cooked through, had a wee bit of char and tasted ace, which is right? Is tuna meant to be all pink in the middle as that bit tasted bloody awful.

I get these cheap in M&S as peeps in Bolton dun't eat tuna steaks like.

Each to their own.

If freshly caught, a little pink is OK. If caught, frozen, bollocked around with and stored for weeks, better to overcook a little.

Either way, hot pan and seared to just under burned on the outside.

If they're anything other than almost straight off the boat, a good marinade before will help.

I cook it to catch the outside, but leave the inside almost raw (but warm) - tuna (like Salmon) is ruined by overcooking IMO. It should be treated like a steak with minimal cooking or faffing about with. But cook it how you like it, you are the one eating it. But if going to go for the 'cooked through' version, I wonder if you would be as well with a tin ;-)

Either way, hot pan and seared to just under burned on the outside.

^^^ This. The longer it stays in the pan, the worse it gets imho. Or better still, if it's fresh enough, just serve it up raw with some Wasabi and Soy sauce. Lovely.

Check out the sourcing of your Tuna and sustainability

"Cheap in M&S" is not the only consideration, although I was in Notlob t'uther week & it probly is.

One more thing...

You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish.

Aye thang yew and goodnight.

If tuna smells or tastes bad it's off!

Actually it's very nice raw, and I'd always just sear the outside and leave the centre almost raw... it is the only way to cook it imo, oh and a nice lime and ginger marinade wouldn't go amiss!

51E98N3NdHL.jpg

Finest tuna with a nice cat picture on the can, yum yum.

Aldi do a nice Tuna steak too.

If tuna smells or tastes bad it's off!

Actually it's very nice raw, and I'd always just sear the outside and leave the centre almost raw... it is the only way to cook it imo, oh and a nice lime and ginger marinade wouldn't go amiss!

this, we had some great sashimi last Saturday.

A lot of the "fresh" tuner we eat in this country has been frozen after it has been caught. If you take a look at the label you can usually tell, as it will say something like "not suitable for home freezing" - which is usually a good indication it may have been frozen before somewhere in the supply chain.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go Chris:^.

FishFillets_box.png

Mmmmmm, yummy.......

:sick:

WTF is that..........:sick:

Under the grill medium heat for a good 5 minutes each side, a nice marinade with olive oil and lemon,pepper and herbs of your choice.

Feeling excited so tonights menu will be tuna steaks new potatoes huge salad with balsamic vinegar and drizzled lemon, cheese and chive dip and a small blob of mayonnaise:D

Feeling excited so tonights menu will be tuna steaks new potatoes huge salad with balsamic vinegar and drizzled lemon, cheese and chive dip and a small blob of mayonnaise:D

Pointless making all that effort without at least two bottles of decent white wine to wash it down.:pint: