Beobloke

The Yamaha Owners Club

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

hello all - first post on the forum so i hope i'm in the right thread !

i'm considering a yamaha based system including the cd-s2100, a-s2100 and the ns-b951 speakers with their matching sps-900 speaker stands. as this will be a large financial purchase for me i will insist on a home demo to make sure i'm 100% happy with this system.

i plan to use the supplied mains cables and plug each component direct into a double socket located just a few feet behind where the system will be. i will also use the supplied rca interconnect to link the cd player to amplifier although i am aware that yamaha recommends xlr cables for the best performance. finally i will use some van damme 6mm hi-fi up-lcofc speaker cable that has banana plugs attached for the amplifier / speaker connection.

my questions therefore are :-

1, has any body heard the above yamaha system ( cd / amp / speakers ) and can give me an idea of the sound character ?

2, i'm guessing the sps-900 speakers are the perfect match although could there be better performers from rival brands for less money ?

i listen to electronic music ( such as autechre, apphex twin ) 90% of the time with the occasional rock track ( davidian by machine head ). 

any advice / input will be appreciated !

What will it all cost, thinking of a sound per pound 💭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi radiant red and thanks for the reply.

prices i have spotted are £1400 for cd player, £1600 for the amplifier, £2000 for the speakers and speaker stands. 

(however i would be looking for a "decent"  discount if i bought this complete system, in cash, as there are many outlets selling these components)

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turk 182 said:

hi radiant red and thanks for the reply.

prices i have spotted are £1400 for cd player, £1600 for the amplifier, £2000 for the speakers and speaker stands. 

(however i would be looking for a "decent"  discount if i bought this complete system, in cash, as there are many outlets selling these components)

.

No doubt on the ability of the CD and Amp.. not so sure on speakers.. you have a massive choice out there and I think the speakers can be bettered for less. What speaker brands do they do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few more updates on the Beobloke Yamaha collection -

- An AV-M99 amplifier, T-M77 tuner, K-M77 cassette deck and CD-M77 CD player - these were the main components of Yamaha’s first midi system of the late 1980s. However, they’re certainly not compromised - all based on their larger units, all made in Japan and all very solidly constructed. The whole system sounds superb and the tuner in particular, is a bit of a gem. I just need to find an EQ-M77 graphic equaliser, P-M77 turntable and NS-99AV speakers to complete it!

- A TC-800GL cassette deck. I’ve owned a few of these in the past but a Yamaha collector should really have one! One owner from new, in the loft for the last 15 years and on eBay for a B.I.N. of £1! It would have been rude not to, really...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2019 at 20:15, radiant red said:

No doubt on the ability of the CD and Amp.. not so sure on speakers.. you have a massive choice out there and I think the speakers can be bettered for less. What speaker brands do they do?

hi again and thanks for your further reply.

i have now been advised that the yamaha speakers are not that good and that dedicated speaker manufacturers would have better products for the same price or cheaper !

the 5 outlets local to me that stock the yamaha cd / amp sell a range of speaker brands but i have always liked bowers and wilkins in previous systems.

for my budget i could try the bowers and wilkins 706 s2 speakers plus the matching fs-700 s2 speaker stands.

this combination has a rrp of £1500 so less money to pay than just the yamaha speakers on there own !

alternatively maybe the kef ls50 with yet again a top quality pair of speaker stands that would possibly be cheaper still ?

at least with the yamaha amplifier there are tone controls hence i can boost or reduce the treble / bass to tune any short fall in the speakers etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turk 182 said:

hi again and thanks for your further reply.

i have now been advised that the yamaha speakers are not that good and that dedicated speaker manufacturers would have better products for the same price or cheaper !

the 5 outlets local to me that stock the yamaha cd / amp sell a range of speaker brands but i have always liked bowers and wilkins in previous systems.

for my budget i could try the bowers and wilkins 706 s2 speakers plus the matching fs-700 s2 speaker stands.

this combination has a rrp of £1500 so less money to pay than just the yamaha speakers on there own !

alternatively maybe the kef ls50 with yet again a top quality pair of speaker stands that would possibly be cheaper still ?

at least with the yamaha amplifier there are tone controls hence i can boost or reduce the treble / bass to tune any short fall in the speakers etc.

The key is, don’t be governed by looks alone. Speakers are so subjective and personal and it’s only your ears and compatibility that can decide.. Yamaha gear have always sounded on the warm side of neutral to me which I like so partner well and take music to demos that you are familiar with.. hopefully you can get a home demo because speakers can and will sound very different at home.. don’t feel obligated to buy only speakers they stock and hopefully it’s a good dealer that really knows what works well with Yamaha kit. I was thinking along the lines of Spendor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hi again and thanks for your further reply.

i have now been advised that the yamaha speakers are not that good and that dedicated speaker manufacturers would have better products for the same price or cheaper !

Who told you that? The Yamahas you mention are the modern version of the original Soavo 2s which were exceptional loudspeakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radiant red said:

The key is, don’t be governed by looks alone. Speakers are so subjective and personal and it’s only your ears and compatibility that can decide.. Yamaha gear have always sounded on the warm side of neutral to me which I like so partner well and take music to demos that you are familiar with.. hopefully you can get a home demo because speakers can and will sound very different at home.. don’t feel obligated to buy only speakers they stock and hopefully it’s a good dealer that really knows what works well with Yamaha kit. I was thinking along the lines of Spendor?

Yamaha and Spendor work well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beobloke said:

Who told you that? The Yamahas you mention are the modern version of the original Soavo 2s which were exceptional loudspeakers.

They were but you can’t rely on what was... plenty of options out there.

this is why I’m not suggesting what I like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2019 at 11:07, radiant red said:

The key is, don’t be governed by looks alone. Speakers are so subjective and personal and it’s only your ears and compatibility that can decide.. Yamaha gear have always sounded on the warm side of neutral to me which I like so partner well and take music to demos that you are familiar with.. hopefully you can get a home demo because speakers can and will sound very different at home.. don’t feel obligated to buy only speakers they stock and hopefully it’s a good dealer that really knows what works well with Yamaha kit. I was thinking along the lines of Spendor?

hi and thanks again for some more help / advice.

i have just presumed that the yamaha speakers were designed and hence match the cd / amplifier but like you have advised i still might not like the sound !

i always liked how the bowers and wilkins speakers sounded on previous systems although the treble could sometimes be a bit sharp / harsh.

(i previously owned a musical fidelity x ray cd, xa2 integrated and b&w 601 s2 speakers).

i'm guessing the tone controls on the yamaha could solve this although i have read yamaha kit is smooth with a sweet treble and no harshness

for the total cost of this system i will insist on a home trial which the dealers i have contacted have confirmed is fine.

as for spendor speakers i have never heard them but will consider those too now so thanks for the heads up !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2019 at 12:23, Beobloke said:

Who told you that? The Yamahas you mention are the modern version of the original Soavo 2s which were exceptional loudspeakers.

hi beobloke and thanks for your input.

it was some advice from a dealer who maybe trying to steer me to another brand ?

the yamaha speakers i'm guessing probably gel perfectly with the cd / amp but maybe not my ears !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 13/04/2019 at 12:52, JTW said:

Yamaha and Spendor work well for me.

hi jtw and thanks for your input.

another vote for spendor  - i will investigate them further then !

Edited by Turk 182

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone used Bi-wiring with a Yamaha A-S3000 with 4 ohm speakers as the manual is saying to Bi-wire the ohms have to be 8 ohms or greater as i want to try my spare pair of speaker cables to see if there would be any change in sound .

But the manual is not very clear as i think they are talking about making sure that if you run 4 speakers the speakers they have to be 8 ohms or higher but obviously i do not want to damage my amplifier trying Bi-wiring  

But thought my Amplifier would just see one set of speakers at 4 ohms still with straight forward Bi-wiring and my amplifier will go down to 2 ohm load 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.