Shakey_Studioincar

My Yamaha NS1000M refurb..

Super Wammer

Hello all!

Been meaning to start this for a while now but to be honest I've just been enjoying listening to them on a day to day basis.

They're currently in my workshop where by day we work in car audio, higher end than most.

These speakers where bought months ago form possibly one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, a guy called Paul who also had a lovely set of domestic market NS1000's and some lovely kit he let me listen to.

Anyway, from day one I've wanted to refurb them, more customise them than a factory refurb as to be honest they need to make it into my house and as they look at the moment that just isn't going to fly with Mrs Shakespeare. Being honest I don't even know if it will when they're done but lets just enjoy doing them anyway.

I wish they could talk, imagine they'de have some great stories to tell!

So here they are -

19418882498_6dc08babd1_c.jpg

Typically whitened/bleached drivers from years of different exposure I suppose...

I started a little backwards as at first i just wanted to ink the bass drivers and see if it worked out, i've not done anything like this before so curiosity got the better of me..

Stripped the bass drivers out and got to work, cleaned them as well as I dared without damaging the cone.

19600252802_f2dd8c7f45_c.jpg

19419203130_49ac193d76_c.jpg

18984789554_2308a3a75e_c.jpg

18984565084_e1454b4479_c.jpg

At the same time i also got hold of the L-pads and gave them some contact cleaner as two of them although working were a little noisy.

18984219354_38e4159f76_c.jpg

As you can see the grilles are a bit mashed -

19418783478_3f0410569e_c.jpg

Mid and tweeter grilles are faring a little better but still not perfect.

19580662406_03c31fe904_c.jpg

Tried my best to straighten this one out, to be honest the picture is quite flattering, anyone have an idea on how to flatten these out as opposed to me making a new set of moulds and formers?

18986161513_d202ee0435_c.jpg

Anyway, Sat 1pm they looked like this and L-pads working great -

19581259066_45f0aa1d45_c.jpg

Back in a mo!

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Unfortunately all this did was light the fire.. All weekend (well Sunday) a wanted to go back and strip them down to start fully...

End of play Saturday..

19419274880_d8a9acd295_c.jpg

So today me and Steve, my top installer who's had a strange excitement for playing with these considering they're twice his age (almost twice my age may I add!) got to pulling the drivers out, crossovers and all cabling/fixings and setting about the cabinets..

19479289388_233da3112b_c.jpg

Tools out! Time to get them apart -

19641111936_d65625ebf9_c.jpg

19044895084_bc65f11b70_c.jpg

19667271595_e34e67908e_c.jpg

19046517183_ce68f13473_c.jpg

I've seen some guy's on here with some fantastic work on these speakers so kind of knew what to expect although i was really impressed by the build of the speakers and the finish. The midrange driver blew me away when we got it out.

19660198842_17ec91dcf8_c.jpg

The crossovers were impressive in the flesh also, look brand new. I don't know what I was expecting. These will be sent off for checking, new caps and a general muck about with a friend of mine Gordon Taylor, formerly owner of Genesis amplifiers, world renowned 12v amps.

Time to start on the cabinets.. This was a pig of a job.

19480746099_be4b5f20a3_c.jpg

19479368520_502af50dd6_c.jpg

This is them from 80 grit through to 320 grit.

19045558644_4f9f6be118_c.jpg

19045577434_af59148456_c.jpg

This is pretty much it for today, need to box the crossovers up tomorrow for shipping and then sort out what we should actually do with the cabinets.. Either way they will end up with an automotive lacquer and candy of some description..

Here's some other pics from today because I enjoy using my camera...

19661022392_f1c7db845b_c.jpg

19045427514_94f36dba88_c.jpg

19045687304_00b4582a17_c.jpg

19668222435_a1df7318e8_c.jpg

19047284393_2720951c5d_c.jpg

Thanks for reading this far. I have a couple of questions if you all don't mind!?

The gaskets were shot, now we do use closed cell foam etc in car audio but we can only get it in 6mm and up, these things are less than a mil thick does anybody have a source for this sort of foam in this thickness?

The wadding inside the enclosure is fibreglass style loft insulation stuff.. Would there be an adverse affect me using a standard wool wadding in there and getting rid of this stuff? Remembering the age of the speaker I would think this would be an improvement and help free up the bass unit slightly?

Anyway, thanks again!

Shakey.

Super Wammer

I would personally either find a bitumen type sealant and run a thin bead to seal the drive units in or a type of silicone sealant.

Its mainly an air seal.

As far as internal sound absorption I would use Baf wadding as its far less aggravating and will be fine in place of the fibre glass. (Wilmslow sell it)

You may wish to add some self adhesive Bitumen Pads or some open cell Foam in the corners, but they will sound great. :^

Good job so far BTW.

Thin sheets of neoprene is the way to go, you'll regret sticking them in.

Use the same type and amount of absorbtive material they have. It will have been part of a very lengthy design process.

I wouldn't use silicone or any form of mastic as this will make future removal exceedingly difficult (the drivers are already a tight fit and heavy - difficult enough to remove without them being glued in). When I did a similar extensive refurbishment of my NS-1000Ms I used 1mm thick neoprene sheet (you can buy it on eBay). Exact template gaskets are available to download from my website. I used them myself (and drew them) and they really are a very good fit. I used a laser cutter to cut mine out but a sharp craft knife and a bit of care would be just as effective.

(Nice job by the way :) - persevere, they are worth it, truly outstanding speakers).

I wouldn't alter the internal damping personally. The sides of the cabinet (internally) are already well treated and BAF wadding is less dense than the fibreglass used.

One thing that does occur to me; you've done a very nice job of sanding back the cabinets and masking them off. I also see that you are going to do a lacquered sun-burst design of some type. My only word of caution would be regarding the driver rebates. As I wrote earlier, the drivers are a surprisingly close fit and the lacquer build up in the rebates may make the drivers an exceedingly tight fit.

Super Wammer

Thanks for the replies lads, and you input is very welcome Mark yours are incredible, ps how did you know I wanted to lacquer them?

I've bought 1mm neoprene for the gaskets, although a bead of silicone left to dry would act as a decent gasket its not really what I want to do.

The original wadding is doing a great job, to be honest I only wondered on replacing it as I didn't want it sitting around the place while the cabinets get refreshed, its awful stuff. Once it's back in their's no problems!

Anyway... Boring update but I've never painted anything really but i want these to be all my own work other than the crossover's that's a bit beyond my station at the moment.

Today I took an of cut of ply, 18mm I have sheet's and sheet's of it as we use it all the time for speaker baffles etc... I set about lacquering it, basically i took a rough piece, hit it once with 320 grit and went straight at it just getting to understand the gun/pressures/paint measurements etc..

My plan is to stain the cabinets with a weak black stain, then tinted lacquer the edges of the cabinets and then overall clear lacquer. They will end up with double figures worth of clear coats which should help keeping them flat and durable.

Here's my test piece, there will be plenty more but I was over the moon when I left work tonight.

19729629191_ffb85c4b25_c.jpg

19538420649_520c01f914_c.jpg

You'll notice one side has bled more than the other, I'm not to sure which I prefer although i know why, i used the gun in one direction on one side and then the other direction the other side so the fan angle will be different, I'll learn all of this on other test pieces.. This is also only one coat of smoked edges ans then two coat's of smoked lacquer, the speakers will have clear lacquer as opposed to smoked as i was just trying to save product, the colour isn't important at this stage.

Crossovers have been shipped to Gordon for testing and a change out of most if not all caps although he want's to do a bunch of test's to realise the best way he can.

More updates soon I'm sure, just waiting for this stain to turn up, I'm massively impatient.

Shakey.

Good stuff, thanks for taking the trouble to post such detail, very interesting reading.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies lads, and you input is very welcome Mark yours are incredible, ps how did you know I wanted to lacquer them?

You're welcome :). The lacquer thing is easy - you wrote that you wanted to do a sunburst finish and I know how that's done :).

I rather like the light wood. Why not just lacquer that? Would definitely be different.

Super Wammer

Thanks for the post's guys and apologies for the slow progress!

Tristan, it did cross my mind as they look splendid just in there plain veneer, however if you have a look at the picture of them next to each other they're different colours, in real life they're completely different. I've had the plan that I'm doing now since before i owned the speakers so owe it myself to try.

Today saw some progress, got an hour or so on them, the reason it's taken me so long to get round to it is the smoke/black wood stain i ordered came from Germany and took an age to get here.. Nothing special about it really and with a bit of searching i could have probably found something similar in the UK, ho hum.

Right old mess at work but it wan't worth tidying up until we could get the speakers stained and in the sun (yeah, right) to dry.. I've never stained wood before, this was a bit nerve racking.

19956180651_f88cba895c_c.jpg

This is while they're drying, when dry they're that grey colour until flatted back and the grain comes back.

19956144001_6364e3dd1f_c.jpg

My neoprene turned up for the gaskets.

19950840195_d28d6cb4c3_c.jpg

Anyway, The speakers went off outside and I gave them a quick rub down to get them as flat as they were. I then mixed the lacquer with 25% thinner and 25% gloss black, surprisingly high amount but it's what's needed to get the smoke in he lacquer as dark as I waned it.

I applied around 6 coats per edge, all in the same direction to try and keep the fan the same width all round. Baring in mind I've never painted a thing in my life I'm really happy with where I finished this evening.

19762938310_bf8bbaa82d_c.jpg

19956081291_53973d2693_c.jpg

19943223422_360637476c_c.jpg

19943223422_360637476c_c.jpg

Bare with them, they look a bit dark and moody at the moment..

So that's basically it for today, I'm happy with the way the smoked edges are fading into the centres of the panels, with clar coat on them and flatting tomorrow they should really come to life, EXCITED!

Super Wammer

Right so the past few days have seen a bit of a change of plans.

I've slowly given in to the realisation that i'm not really going to be able to get the finish i am after with the skill set i have, at the moment anyhow. I figure that these are my speakers and it doesn't really matter how many times I change the colour or how long I work on them as I'm learning all the time and more importantly really enjoying it...

So, end of play Wednesday evening I think, possibly Thursday I had lacquer on the cabinet's. Now as I mentioned earlier in the post these cabinets are different colours/veneers. It could be anything as simple as them just being like that from the factory and them being painted black as usual it doesn't really matter but obviously for this refurbishment it does. This means that for me to reach the goal I set myself for the finish I want it isn't achievable without a full re veneer of the cabinets. This isn't a problem as I can do this in the future if I like.

For now I lacquered the cabinets anyway, out of interest -

Remember this is lacquer from the gun, no finishing down or flatting etc so no where near as reflective/deep as they would be with a few more hours work. You can also see the obvious difference in colour between the two cab's.

19990257552_71a652fa2b_c.jpg

19971801776_9f95a3020b_c.jpg

19811278709_574ceed73c_c.jpg

I also think the edges of the cabinets, the smoked sections are a bit too hardcore they need to be a little thinner etc on my next attempt.

I wasn't happy at all with this finish, the quality of the finish etc was high with everything considered but i just didn't like the affect the lacquer had on the bare sections of wood, maybe too much tint and not enough staining? Not sure..

However, plan B with gnawing at me... I've been a car enthusiast probably since I could understand what a car is.. I've owned all manners of car's but the ones that stick in my mind are some classic mk2 Golf's, particularly one I had in "brilliant black metallic".. So this morning I went and bought a litre of LA9V base coat.

When I got to work this morning (nice intentionally slow planned Saturday) I started to flat the cabinets back to a paintable finish.

19997948985_8af7610e1f_c.jpg

More this evening, I'm really happy with today's progress, even if i did have a disaster at the very last step :(

Shakey :cool: