tetreb

Suit up

The time has come to start wearing a corporate uniform :sick: thus I have to buy a suit. Ideally, I'd like to get something suitable for business meetings, but that bears at least some basic level of distinction. Budget up to 1K, preferrably less.

As I've never had to think about formal dressing, I don't know where to start. I know what I want to avoid - boring, classic fits. I wouldn't mind visiting Nick Cave's tailor, but I can't afford it. I suppose bespoke suits are off the limits.

Where do I start looking, is there a difference in the cut among the Italian, British, French suits? Hopefully this thread catches Haywards attention :)

When I worked in london I bought off the peg suits from Gieves and Hawkes but had them tailor to my size, back then I was a skinny 38 chest and 32 waist. For work suits you really need two pairs of trousers although Gieves have always done the standard 2 button charcoal suit that is quite hard wearing, the trousers would last well over a year before the arse got shiny.

I would look at getting a good hard wearing suit for the autumn/winter from Gieves and a lighter summer suit from Hackett.

To the OP, are you still in Frankfurt? Not much point in one recommending something in (say) London if so.

OK, some background. I'm entering the final stage of my MBA program and I'll start interviewing like crazy in September. Not interested in banking and consulting and I'll be looking at positions in tech industry, which should give me some leeway with the dress code. Suits are still a must, but I suppose I don't have to conform to the strict black/navy and a tie norm. I'd like to get one nice suit that gets me through the interviews and some weddings and buy another when I start working again.

I'm based near Paris, but I'm currently in Frankfurt and I'll travel to Italy soon. Location is not a problem, I'm on the move during the summer.

£1k for a suit?

My current work ensemble probably runs under £20 though i do need to wash it after every day.

The steel toed trainers increase that by 50%.

My old mum didn't dare tell my dad when my first new suit cost £35 so i guess it's all in the genes.

I'm going for a fitting / tweaking / whatever it's called here tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. FWIW it's not a fashion statement, I'm just not (anything like) a standard shape, so what fits me in the gut is a mile too long in the sleeves and body. And post-surgery I'm a bit of an "interesting" shape around the waist.

Not interested in banking and consulting

:rofl: that's my entire working life out the window then!

It's very hard to make suggestions (other than personal preference) for off the peg, because some cuts suit certain frame shapes over others. I like Paul Smith, Canali and Boglioli and I find stuff like Hugo Boss to be way too baggy.

Anyway, when Ritchie's finished posting cool gifs, he'll advise :)

Anyway, when Ritchie's finished posting cool gifs, he'll advise :)

:^

Too busy making the feckers at the moment!

It really does depend on your shape.

When I was in my 20s, I bought Italian suits. In my current body form, a gunny sack painted black and tied up with string is a better bet.