Ozexpat

My Week Of Food (or my latest scran)

Give up Sam, they ventured north, worked out why most Northeners stay Northern. I would suggest that Mr Fortunes kippers are nicer in Sanders Yard than the moon and sixpence, but the view is better in the moon, and they areFortune's kippers in both. When you find the real North Yorkshire it's pure choice which is best.

Shame you didn't give the locals a shout first ..... there is a REALLY good B&B in Masham that is slightly cheaper than the Bay Horse, but is wonderful and the breakfast even better. Also well worth doing the Black Sheep Brewery Tour followed with 'samples' and dinner. A good lunch can also actually be had at the Wensleydale Creamery where you can also go for a 'tour' (much shorter, but still fun - can't beat giggling like kids while watching someone cutting the cheese.....)

Plus of course near Whitby is that wonderful place we spoke about a while back at Rosedale Abbey. The pork belly starter and trio of lamb main being particularly special.

I assume you must know somewhere near as there is no other reason to stop at Normanton! ;-)

South Normanton was a "flier". We left later than planned and needed to find somewhere around lunch time whilst not too far off the M1. A quick look at the map and a copy of The Good Beer Guide led us to this place. Needless to say, we didn't stop on the way back.

We did both the Theakstons and The Black Sheep tours. It was part of the reason for going to Masham. We had been before over 20 years ago and have fond memories. Next time we will probably stay in the Bruce Arms (but we are open to suggestions). Despite the Aussie behind the bar and the great breakfast, The Bay Horse slightly disappointed. The Bruce Arms was less "corporate" and very friendly. They also have a great chef.

I completely forgot about the Rosedale Abbey place. I shall start an "Info Thread" next time :P

I sent Paul a PM and fully intend on catching up next time we are up that way. Which, by the amount of great food, fab beer and fun with the locals we had, won't be too far into the future.

Give up Sam, they ventured north, worked out why most Northeners stay Northern. I would suggest that Mr Fortunes kippers are nicer in Sanders Yard than the moon and sixpence, but the view is better in the moon, and they areFortune's kippers in both. When you find the real North Yorkshire it's pure choice which is best.

I was very surprised that my wife thought that moving oop t'North could be an option if my job goes belly up (which is possible as the whole organisation is being "rationalised"). I have no aversion to that idea what so ever Colin. We have always just gone where it suits us. I feel that we finally found the Yorkshire we were looking for after all those years since our last visit.

It appears that since the most recent review on TripAdvisor, the property has been sold for £450K and none of it's web addresses work.

:(

Oh what a shame ..... the couple that ran it were lovely and cooked the best breakfast I've had in a B&B (only bettered by the fab breakfast offered in Rosedale Abbey)

Wonderful place for £450k though!!

Oh well my turn, just taken up residence in the waterfront flat on whitehall landing. Wonder down to the riverside chippy for tea shortley, best fish and chip shop in whitby, home made tarter sauce, take away only. Then down to the pub for a couple, not sure if it will be Theakstons OP in the board, Whitby Bitter in the Dolphin, or peruse the guest brews in the black bull. I wish I had such a choice, in such a short distance at home. Church st and its hostelries could have a bad effect on beer gut, and wallet.