manicatel

Coconut oil for frying. Healthy or not?

The Mrs has just signed up to the Gym, had a "health MOT" & been advised amongst other stuff that frying with Olive Oil is as bad for you as jumping out of a plane without a parachute, & that coconut oil is likely to add 100 years to her life expectancy.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a tad, but anyway.

So for frying at a high temperature, eg cooking a fillet steak, what's the consensus? Olive, rape, sunflower, Lard, goose fat, etc etc?

I usually cook the steak from room temperature, having rubbed some pepper, a little salt & oil onto the steak rather than glugging the oil into the pan. 2 or 3 minutes a side in a smoking hot pan. No poncing about with it, just turning it once & resting the steak for another 3 minutes or so.

I know that Olive Oil has a lower smoke point than some other oils, but for proper cooking with a nod to being healthy, what's the thoughts?

Searches on the net for the benefits of Coconut oil is akin to cable threads on here!

Matt.

Surely for a simple steak you want to use an oil that not going to taint the flavour of the beef, alongside the fact that such a small quantity of oil is involved, I use rape seed for steak. I only use olive oil in cooking when I want the flavour to add to the dish (mainly Mediterranean and mainland southern European style cooking).

Coconut oil is high in saturated fat some health organisations advise against its use for hat reason. It is also very strongly flavoured, I tend to use it cooking south Indian and Sri Lankan style dishes.

my go to oil for general purpose use is rape seed as it doesn't taint the flavour of he food you are cooking, I use the barest minimum of oil required to cool whatever I'm cooking, so steaks are given a light brush of rape seed oil and pepper before meeting a smoking pan, and seasoned with salt after cooking and resting for he same period of time the steak was cooked for.

We've been using coconut oil for our roast potatoes for a while now.

You can certainly smell coconut when they're cooking, but you can't taste it on the finished product. They just taste delicious.

Virgin Olive oil is mainly mono unsaturated and proven good fat. When you heat it, there is a molecular change which makes it poly unsaturated. . Bad fats. Your body processes mono a lot easiest than poly.. I think with everything it's all about moderation, I fry my steaks using butter.

Virgin Olive oil is mainly mono unsaturated and proven good fat. When you heat it, there is a molecular change which makes it poly unsaturated. . Bad fats. Your body processes mono a lot easiest than poly.. I think with everything it's all about moderation, I fry my steaks using butter.

As I did today :^

Once !!!! Why would anybody need to flip it more ? :D

I concur, there are 2 schools of thought though.

Rapeseed oil has a higher heat tolerance (smoke point) than normal veg oil or olive oil. It doesn't deteriorate or oxidise like those others do at high temp so I don't think people have to use coconut oil.

The common coconut oil for cooking doesn't taste of coconut.

I use it on my hair!

We've been using coconut oil for our roast potatoes for a while now.

You can certainly smell coconut when they're cooking, but you can't taste it on the finished product. They just taste delicious.

I tried that ands we can definitely taste it

Rape or Groundnut oil for steak or stir-fries. A plethora of different oils to suit whatever I'm cooking or serving. I suppose coconut oil has it's uses. I can't think of any but....:?

Some very nice S Indian and Sri Lankan dishes use it and definitely benefit from it in terms of flavour