Ian

'Cheap' Quad vs. Croft coming soon !

Bought a bargain 34/306 set up a few weeks ago, hadn't seen them as they went straight to Quad (the 34 wasn't working). Just got them now, and they are indeed as minty as the chap who was good enough to sell them to me said they were.

So the comparison will first of all be a 306 instead of the Croft 7 (with the Croft 25R) and then the Quad pair instead of the Croft pair. I'm really interested in this (and having fun !), though understand from reading opinion that the 34 is a 'weak' unit.

Anyhoo, the 306 will go in this evening along with another read of the 34 Tilt control/Bass Lift/Buttons selection bit of the instruction manual as it seemed a tad complicated when I read it last night. May be me being a bit thick !

I must say Quad's service/repair prices seem to be very reasonable, quite the opposite of built in obsolescence that's talked about.

Super Wammer

you'll have fun with your 306, punches well above its weight

It will be very interesting to get your opinion when comparing the 2 different setups, looking forward to your report. :cafe:

They are a hugely capable combo, when I got mine, I experimented with them in my main system with some AN/J's and they sounded lovely, then they moved to my office with some Heybrook HB1s and then to the kitchen (where they remain) with some Proac SuperTablettes. The Quads performed remarkably well in all my systems and I quite like the tone controls especially with the smaller Proacs.

+1 for Quad repairs, been great for me whenever I have needed them, and have fun Ian. Whether the 34 matches up to the Croft - or is even close - it is a great looking piece of product design (IMHO) and worthy of some shelf space :^

+1 for Quad repairs, been great for me whenever I have needed them, and have fun Ian. Whether the 34 matches up to the Croft - or is even close - it is a great looking piece of product design (IMHO) and worthy of some shelf space :^

I agree and they look very smart in the Quad rack if you can find one.....I keep pondering an FM4 to complete the set and fill the gap in the Quad rack.

Guest MJ.

The 34's not bad by any means but the 306 is a little gem.

Ran the combo for 6 months into some big Dali's and loved it.

The 306 is just not putting a foot wrong. I believe the Croft 7 wins out on timbre and openness but my word the Quad is hugely enjoyable, perhaps smoother, more rounded (I'm rubbish at this !). I'll be leaving it in the system now for a couple of weeks to see if it grows. It's lovely ;-)

I've the Quad same set up, although my pre is modded to the nth degree, running a pair of Harbeth P3ers and I've basically given up looking for anything better.

Here's the preamp's mods

- Fully rebuilt PSU

- CMOS 4066 ICs upgraded to socketed Maxim low impedance, low THD version.

- Line stages upgraded with OPA134/2134 devices.

- Film output caps.

- Upgraded coupling caps, some replaced with wire links where appropriate.

- Rebuilt phono stage with metal can LME49710HA devices (with PSU bypass caps). Very low noise.

- Improved low end extension on the phono stage.

- 1.5 output to suit most power amps

Comes with the optional MC card, plus upgraded MM card set to work with most Ortofon, AT and Goldring cartridges.

So about the highest spec 34 you'll find.

BTW, decent explaination of the pre-amps tilt controls etc here

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/quad/34-preamplifier.htm

BTW, decent explaination of the pre-amps tilt controls etc here

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/quad/34-preamplifier.htm

Cheers for that Tony and cheers all. Just can't put my finger on what the 306 does so well, some may say 'pipe & slippers' some may say 'subtly opiated' !.

Who pimped your 34 Tony ?

Cheers for that Tony and cheers all. Just can't put my finger on what the 306 does so well, some may say 'pipe & slippers' some may say 'subtly opiated' !.

Who pimped your 34 Tony ?

Rob on PFM Ian, it was his own personal amp.

He fixes and upgrades Quad stuff, Baker Audio I think is his company.

http://www.bakeraudio.org/

Super Wammer
I think what you have there is the "Quad sound" :)

I run my 306 and Meridian 556 through a Beresford switch. Why? well for general daytime listening or late evening gentle / female music the 306 is really nice = the Quad sound.

For something like hard rock (and particularly heavy base lines) the 556 excels however it is light and open for something like Cowboy Junkies at higher volumes.

I love them both for different reasons, never intended to keep them both, but . . well . . you know :roll: