IanW

The Fernie Room and the 4 Quad 57 Experiment

Haha, well I must have listened to a dozen different pairs in all sorts different rooms so don't take it personally. I don't actually dislike them, they generally don't set my world alight is all.

“We had an audiophile living on our street, until his house accidentally burned down.”

Putting 2 and 2 together...:D

In the early 90s HFN&RR had a feature on a man who had built 10 Tannoy DCs horizontally into a wall, driving them exactly as you did with a varying mix of L/R. I don't remember if he attempted delay compensation. If, then certainly crudely, given what was available at that time.

The sound experienced in the 'sweet spot' from the Experiment was sublime and IMHO the 'best of show'. It was incredible to experiment with how moving just 1-2ft away from the sweet spot changed the sound experienced at different frequencies- (constructive and destructive interference effects coming into play?). TVM for setting this up; this is what makes Scalford so special.............:)

In the early 90s HFN&RR had a feature on a man who had built 10 Tannoy DCs horizontally into a wall, driving them exactly as you did with a varying mix of L/R. I don't remember if he attempted delay compensation. If, then certainly crudely, given what was available at that time.

I would think that the beams would cross, and we know what that means.

I'm intending to do some more controlled experiments over the next weeks, to see whether what I imagine is happening is actually happening.

Paul

Super Wammer
I would think that the beams would cross, and we know what that means.

I'm intending to do some more controlled experiments over the next weeks, to see whether what I imagine is happening is actually happening.

Paul

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/reddwarf/images/9/9e/Mimosianbanquet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140608033338

I couldn't get there this year and when I saw the photos my jaw dropped. Brilliant concept and sounds like it worked.

Have you further plans to develop it? Would love to hear them.

We are planning to do some further measurement and experimentation as the Scalford show was only the second time that we had set them up. With 4 speakers we need to try and get them into an arrangement which measures well and then we can try moving them around to get to a better layout.

There are other ideas in the pipeline, but they may just remain ideas!

Super Wammer
We are planning to do some further measurement and experimentation as the Scalford show was only the second time that we had set them up. With 4 speakers we need to try and get them into an arrangement which measures well and then we can try moving them around to get to a better layout.

There are other ideas in the pipeline, but they may just remain ideas!

Keep us updated, please!