Sign in to follow this  
JamPal

Best show yet?

Guest BD Audio

I like to take my trade hat off for Scalford and enjoy it as the enthusiast, this year was absolutely brilliant both in enjoying the different system types I heard in all the different rooms and the new music I discovered.

Socially it is a fabulous too, one of the highlights of the year for me as an audiophile and to get to meet old and new friends alike I love it. Roll on next year!

I've now been to all of the shows and each one has been hugely enjoyable.

Thanks to James and Co for doing all the donkey work, but also to all those who were exhibiting.

Honourable mention to Jim for the pies.

As on all occasions, I enjoyed every room I visited, one of the attractions being that they are all so very different.

Hopefully I shall be able to make it again next year.

It was only my second show. I previously went in 2013. I thought the standard was quite a bit better this time. Most of the systems I liked had valves in them. My previous distaste for computer based systems and class d amplification was partly overcome.

Personal highlights :

Ian - the classic croft and Harbeth combination didn't fail at all.

MF1000 - lovely sounding system, great ming da amplification, quality digital sounds via the roksan attessa transoprt and trichord dac. The speakers suited the room really well and overall it was a warm effortless sound. I'm sure the super tweeters, horns and sub helped as well. A really well balanced system.

Sligolad - Those ESL speakers disappeared, especially with vocals. I definitely have an tich to scratch with ESL speakers. Historically I'm not a fan of computer based replay but my opinion after this room and show has changed somewhat.

The Simpson room - those diy speakers with ATC drivers and class d amps sounded great. I wouldn't have thought class D could sound so good.

SCIDB - quality separates and the best music in the entire show combine to make everyone smile. Deans enthusiasm obviously helps.

Edd9000 - what a great diy system. Clever bloke to put that together. I especially loved the speakers.

Fatmarley and Jandl100 - Amp and dac worked really well with those great home made speakers.

Griffi - beautiful soaring music when his brother was playing a new operatic type affair. Not my type of music but I sat there transfixxed. Beautiful looking speakers giving beautiful sounds.

I missed the wall of sound ESLs :(

Guest Crazytrain

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, thanks to all who participated.

Managed to visit lots of rooms and enjoyed all of them. I would have posted sooner but I've had the lurgy and couldn't be arsed with the internet.

Gromit - Depeche Mode - Violator sounded great through the Royds. Surprised Machine Head didn't clear the room when AC/DC did. Even had a lady sat behind ask about it.:D

Baggawire - Never heard Yamaha NS1000M before. Certainly sounded huge in terms of scale paired with the Modwright. Incubus sounded the great on these.

Greybeard - Really liked the look and sound of the self-built speakers.

SCIDB - I gate-crashed Deans room early to get some plays in. Great stuff!

Evo Audio - Really wanted to hear the Acoustic Energy ref 1 and Pro-Ject gear. Great sound and certainly did bass.

Bandit Pilot - A huge lump (the mf amp) Impulse H2 and record player made some great music.

Bmtell - After a bit of valve tweaking, Bmtell pissed off for a pint and we all settled to listen to the LV's. Very nice.:stereo:

Gingermrkettle - After listening to various types of music, I found myself drawn to the sounds coming from Mrkettles room. I found solace in there and plonked myself down at the back.

Harv - A huge, massive sound that I felt, more than heard. Fantastic.

Rmsshipbroker - Quite a small room for the AN's to breathe in, but they did breathe really well.

Thanks for the badge, the pie and the show guide.:^

It's funny but before the show I kept saying to Jerry that I was worried that the speakers were a bit bass light. When I first hooked them up in the room and switched on the amp the bass was MASSIVE! I ran to Jerry in a panic and he just calmly walked into the room and turned the loudness switch off! -

Ah, that Big Mutha vintage Rotel amp - tone controls - proppa amp. :^:D

FatmarleyJandl100 Matt played a familiar cd for me on the DIY infinite baffles floor standers with outboard crossovers at my usual ( loud) volume firing across the shorter room axis about 300 mm off walls to great effect.

Your chat re design was not at all boring and enthusiasm rarely is.

good result in that bouncey room from using the tight controlled low frequencies no porting - a distinct advantage over reflexes that I used there. Simple construct but quality results and affordable. And I like red!!! Ta muchly

FatmarleyJandl100 Matt played a familiar cd for me on the DIY infinite baffles floor standers with outboard crossovers at my usual ( loud) volume firing across the shorter room axis about 300 mm off walls to great effect.

good result in that bouncey room from using the tight controlled low frequencies no porting - a distinct advantage over reflexes that I used there. Simple construct but quality results and affordable. And I like red!!! Ta muchly

I really was impressed with the system and the track I heard for the short time I was there. Who designed the speakers and who played that rock/blues solo guitar?

Chelseadave it was The old blokes on " At last on time " by Weepin ' Willie. analogue to vinyl which is just joy at volume on decent lineup . (Amazon 2013) cd is ---a cd ---but on good side of ok on my Lyngdorf .He only made the one record unfortunately blues magic together years of jamming superb timing expression with brill support work by sensitive keys.

last year in the same room freefallrob let the LP out to play on fettled techy via coil and it held a roomful rapt. It was one of those moments in time/ space when those who " knew enough" got a piece of paradise. Scalford does that!

Sorry Chelsea ---- Jimmy D Lane lead guitar on that track

Cheers Dave just purchased the LP version.

Glad to hear I didn't bore you :)

- - - Updated - - -

Who designed the speakers

That was me.

If all goes well I'll be there with something better next year.

I was mighty impressed by those speakers, too - which was why I suggested Matt and I team up for Scally, my big NAD amp was a good partner for them.

I await the mk2 with baited breath! :^

Glad to hear I didn't bore you :)

- - - Updated - - -[/

That was me.

If all goes well I'll be there with something better next year.

Well done, I loved the sound and the finish was excellent, I shall look forward to the new ones.

Another who thinks "best show yet". I've never enjoyed so many systems so much. Though I'm supposed to be a vinyl fan, my absolute favourites were perhaps the open-reel/BBC Rodgers; the Roksan/Ming Da/Fostex (best. bass. ever.) But heck, so many others were great that if I were to list them all I'd virtually be reciting the exhibitor spreadsheet.

The best music, as ever, was Dean.

Massive thanks to everyone who exhibited: I know what a long day it is, and how hard it can be to get something to sing in those little rooms. Everyone did a brilliant job.