Reggae

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And here's a beauty. 110 of Bob Marleys original cuts with Lee Perry.  Big bass,slower groove.    B|

81lncG863OL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1 hour ago, Zen Monkey said:

The problem with Jamaica back then was if you were perceived to have anything people would literally walk in and take it. I lost an Uncle to that mentality. And the jury that convicted Mundell’s killer (the brother of an alleged burglar) didn’t even find on the full accusation of murder. He got ten years for manslaughter  so according to the official record Mundell wasn’t murdered. He was unintentionally killed. I’m pretty confident that the reason was probably because Hugh was a Rastafarian and his killer was not. If you look at the list of prominent performers who have died at the hands of others in Jamaica it is a very very long and illustrious list. And that ignores people like Marley who survived the most publicised attempt on his life.

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
An essential Black Ark production from Lee Perry just re-released on 180gm orange vinyl by Music On Vinyl.

CS838641-01A-BIG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Some quality reggae recently released.

On The Groove - Soul Revivers
Features old school artists such a Ken Boothe, Earl 16 and Ernest Ranglin on a selection of tunes inspired by the heyday of 70s reggae. Sound quality is exceptional on my 2LP.
1649697968736.png

The Dubmaster - Dennis Bovell
The don of UK reggae gets a well deserved retrospective. 2 LP splits between his dub exploits and production duties for various artists. Lots more on the CD release.
1649698090133.png

Midnight Rocker - Horace Andy
Match made in heaven with original Studio One artist Horace Andy produced by that other don of UK reggae Adrian Sherwood. Sparse and dubby with that On-U house sound.
1649698332859.png

Lord Nitrogen

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 31, 2006
Brighton. Not Hove.
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seem to be listening to less and less reggae these days. Over the last few weeks the only tracks played are from these three:

Jah Wobble induces some extreme excursions from the drivers . . .

congos.jpg dube.jpg wobble.jpg

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Black Uhuru - Plastic Smile - There Best tune for me Personally

if you ever have forever - UB40 - for my sins i love the new UB40 Love the singer

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Black Uhuru - Plastic Smile - There Best tune for me Personally

if you ever have forever - UB40 - for my sins i love the new UB40 Love the singer

That'll be Duncan Campbell brother of Robin on lead vocals He was actually invited to join the band at it's conception but declined for the life of an adventurer.

I agree his vocals are superb very Ali but much more expression "Labour of Love IIII is a brilliant album full of great covers UB40 at their best imo😍😍👍

Reactions: old Guy

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm very sociable i am ether on my way to see friends in Costa (in Kinson) or My Brother at the Crown Pub
I use the bus pass and love having music in my head on the Bus Its Very Varied I do myself Compilation albums
Straight Albums at this particular moment in Time are Sade Diamond Life and Lovers rock . Which i never seem to Tire. also The idle race, Fantastic songs. The Equals , Blast from the past, I love their music it makes me very happy, Plus my Reggae compilation. :) This is a song makes me want to dance around the Bus each time it comes on. Ready???? Bless you Janet

hqdefault.jpg
Janet Lee Davis - Do You Remember

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyCC72

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Some quality reggae recently released.

On The Groove - Soul Revivers
Features old school artists such a Ken Boothe, Earl 16 and Ernest Ranglin on a selection of tunes inspired by the heyday of 70s reggae. Sound quality is exceptional on my 2LP.
1649697968736.png

The Dubmaster - Dennis Bovell
The don of UK reggae gets a well deserved retrospective. 2 LP splits between his dub exploits and production duties for various artists. Lots more on the CD release.
1649698090133.png

Midnight Rocker - Horace Andy
Match made in heaven with original Studio One artist Horace Andy produced by that other don of UK reggae Adrian Sherwood. Sparse and dubby with that On-U house sound.
1649698332859.png
Once of my favourite LPs of this year continues the great reggae tradition of versions and dubs with the release of Midnight Scorchers on 16/9

1658568009991.png

Reactions: Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been a fan of Reggae music since the early 70's (the hey day of Trojan Records) and I think the first single of the genre I bought, was Double Barrel. I bought all the "Tighten Up" Lp's and later in the 70's, I went to see Third World, live at The Gaumont, Southampton. An absolutely fantastic concert and I have all of their albums!

So, mainstream popular reggae is my favourite. I think the furthest I have strayed is "Bass Culture" by Linton Kwesi Johnson!

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
On the first anniversary of his passing, BMG are releasing the 4LP + 4CD Lee Scratch Perry boxset "King Scratch" containing rare and unreleased mixes of the reggae pioneer's best work. For the less flush there's a separate 2 LP release. Due to drop on 26th August.
1660116681226.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayymondo

jahsavage

Ponder Guy
Wammer
Apr 27, 2013
The Mendips
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm a massive old style reggae and dub fan and generally detest anything electronic especially the jungle stuff but over the last few years a few 'modern' albums have made it into my collection.

Here's one, its a mixture of twangy guitar, ska and reggae and is a real good laugh, its Prince Fatty meets the Mutant HiFi in the Return of Gringo

returnOfGringo.jpg

Reactions: Headcoat

jahsavage

Ponder Guy
Wammer
Apr 27, 2013
The Mendips
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps the most modern album that really turned my ear was Ethiopian King - VIVIAN JONES & RUSS DISCIPLE. There are vocal and dub versions of this album available, if you can't afford both buy the dub version if you can.

ethiopianKingDub.jpg

Reactions: Headcoat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles