Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
Hill, South Gloucestershire , UK
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I powered her up , but as the improvements seem to the "disk burning" process , I will not know until i burn a few more disks , I might try to burn a disk that I know already has poor track /artist information , graphics. Unless someone can tell me what else was fixed , but there is nothing obvious.

Alby

Reactions: old Guy

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, an awful lot of work that no one will notice, and a few things that people will notice.

The SSL crypto certificates and libraries were updated, so the update mechanism works again over the air, this has the side effect of fixing the artwork downloading problem during ripping. Plus a minor update to Tidal support about dates on albums. These are the main things addressed in FW602 that will be obvious to owners.

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There is something i am not happy about i can not seem a lot of days to play music on the fly meaning . instead of turning the Mac on, then firing up the Nas drive.

Whats happening a lot is i go into the menu on the screen on the Device run. Chose to play a song from the internal HD the device will not have it. the device totally locks me out on the display screen. what im having to do is go behind the furniture pull the mains lead out i wait a couple of moments then push it back. The device switches back on takes ages to go through the checks then it working again sort of. For some reason it can not remember there is a Nas drive share attached to it and its all done properly. I have to go to settings open share kill the share refined the share then its OK for a couple of days

Good here in it?

alby

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
Hill, South Gloucestershire , UK
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, an awful lot of work that no one will notice, and a few things that people will notice.

The SSL crypto certificates and libraries were updated, so the update mechanism works again over the air, this has the side effect of fixing the artwork downloading problem during ripping. Plus a minor update to Tidal support about dates on albums. These are the main things addressed in FW602 that will be obvious to owners.
I have finally got to ripping some more CDs , it was always pretty poor at ripping classical (missing art work and strange composer and track listing) but that in particular has improved . I do have a couple of CDs that it will not get the artwork correct for an Aerosmith that picks an album I have by Yellowjacket’s , and a Charlie Cunningham Cd that picks up some obscure Russian album with a picture of a jolly fat man in front of the Kremlin.

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have finally got to ripping some more CDs , it was always pretty poor at ripping classical (missing art work and strange composer and track listing) but that in particular has improved . I do have a couple of CDs that it will not get the artwork correct for an Aerosmith that picks an album I have by Yellowjacket’s , and a Charlie Cunningham Cd that picks up some obscure Russian album with a picture of a jolly fat man in front of the Kremlin.
The incorrect info will be a database thing rather than an encore thing I'm afraid, the Encore queries the https://musicbrainz.org/ database which is a open source repository for CD metadata.

berwong

New Wammer
May 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the hard drive crashed and needs to be replaced. Anyone did it before? Do I need to reformat the new drive first? What file format?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the hard drive crashed and needs to be replaced. Anyone did it before? Do I need to reformat the new drive first? What file format?
One for @davebrown I think. I assume it's Linux but will probably have some special code on it.

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

berwong

New Wammer
May 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently replaced a faulty HD in one of these and I’m 99.9% sure it was just a take out and replace… have you checked the MF website/manuals for the Encore?

https://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/encore/m6-encore-225
ok that's good to know. I'm still waiting for my new ssd to arrive. I plugged in a 128GB super old SSD and it does not detect. It passed the boot up check but after that it does not detect the file size. I'm assuming probably the controller on the SSD is not compatible as it is super old. Will update once the new drive arrives.

languyengoc

New Wammer
Nov 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
ok that's good to know. I'm still waiting for my new ssd to arrive. I plugged in a 128GB super old SSD and it does not detect. It passed the boot up check but after that it does not detect the file size. I'm assuming probably the controller on the SSD is not compatible as it is super old. Will update once the new drive arrives.
You don't need to wait for new hdd. I had the same problem that after deleting the library, I could not copy files via drag & drop. I did the following and now it works as normal.

- Select any old hdd you want
- In Windows, use DISKPART CLEAN to clean up all configurations of this hdd.
- Put it in your Encore, power on the server.
- Enjoy drag & drop files.

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
no good to me as i am a mac user unless there was a equivalent program for mac users
I'm up and running now have been for some months thanks to Henley.

You want to know what the problem was? The Encore has a PCB board inside it which failed and was replaced. Serious money was spent.

berwong

New Wammer
May 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
no good to me as i am a mac user unless there was a equivalent program for mac users
I'm up and running now have been for some months thanks to Henley.

You want to know what the problem was? The Encore has a PCB board inside it which failed and was replaced. Serious money was spent.
could you elaborate more on your issue? (edit: nvm, I read from page one again and know what you faced. Hope mine is not the same case of a faulty motherboard). I'm having no luck with the new ssd. It boots up after a long while (about 10 mins, I assume it was formatting it). I could see under About that they detected the disk correctly (reported the right size).

I tried to rip a CD, it rips and I could see the size increases under the About info. But nothing happens after that. No albums, songs etc. I could see under the web interface (disk folders) that the CD was stored in the temp folder but was not moved.

Drag and drop do not work. When I map the drive in Windows, it can map but when trying to access it, it gives an error suggesting the disk is not formatted.

When I plug out from Encore and connect to my PC to see what is in the drive, Windows could not recognize it (uninitialized). Tearing my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong. Does seem to be a software issue rather than a hardware one.

I tried to do a factory reset on Encore and it gives an error saying reset could not be completed. I suspect when resetting, they attempt to delete the library and failed at that point suggesting again that the disk is not recognized.

Last edited:

berwong

New Wammer
May 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't need to wait for new hdd. I had the same problem that after deleting the library, I could not copy files via drag & drop. I did the following and now it works as normal.

- Select any old hdd you want
- In Windows, use DISKPART CLEAN to clean up all configurations of this hdd.
- Put it in your Encore, power on the server.
- Enjoy drag & drop files.
yes after trying different combinations, Encore can only work with an uninitialized disk. Now I hope that it could be just a matter of time needed for Encore to rebuild the library before drag and drop can work. Ripping a CD got files ripped to the temp folder but nothing after that.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Henley Audio website says this about the Encore:

Musical Fidelity Encore products have reached a partial "end of life" state. Due to the age of the base software the Encore was built upon, it has become not possible to maintain all aspects of the software, particularly relating to some of the music management/storage features. As a result, any Encore products that remain in the market have been sold now for a number of months to support only the following features:

- State of the art pre- or integrated amplifier with 3 analog inputs, 4 digital inputs
- M6si (Encore 225) or M6s Pre (Encore Connect) hardware built-in
- M3 CD Player
- High quality aluminium chassis with hardware buttons on the front in pristine build quality
- Large, high resolution, full colour display allows easy and intuitive controls
- Full control via front-panel hardware buttons, IR remote, Squeezebox Apps and web-interface
- Web-radio
- Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify streaming

As a result of this situation, we are able to still fully support the above-listed features, but any issues relating to other features or aspects of the software may be unresolvable. Please communicate any issue you may have fully with our technical support team, as they still have an in-house Encore, updated to the latest firmware, so we can help support you if you have any questions. If you require us to look at your Encore hardware we of course continue to offer this service.

Reactions: Nopiano

languyengoc

New Wammer
Nov 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
yes after trying different combinations, Encore can only work with an uninitialized disk. Now I hope that it could be just a matter of time needed for Encore to rebuild the library before drag and drop can work. Ripping a CD got files ripped to the temp folder but nothing after that.
I got Encore fully working after I wiped the hdd. I attached a screen shot how to use diskpart for that. You need to run Command Prompt as Administrator. In this case disk 7 is the one I would wipe.

Attachments

• Diskpart.jpg
    Diskpart.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 7

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Would you admit now it was not such a great purchase. I spent a lot of money on mine. I thought i was buying something really special. Was contemplating selling mine on Gumtree. But it seem such a waste for what i'd get offered. You cant sell it on here after this thread. Who would buy one after reading all this. would you buy a car that had a history of faults no one really new how to fix begs the question?

EDIT: forgot to add mines working nearly as it should. one interesting thing to shout about is. Mine at least for some reason becomes unresponsive. I can ont get into the menus at all and have to pull the plug. Wait 30 secs and push it back in. away we go again . Worth mentioning as well it suffering dementia. it forgets it seriously does. it forgets the shares. You have to delete the shares then add the shares and of you go again. Dam annoying it reminds me of a CZ motorcycle i bought brand new. That was a mistake as well.

Last edited:

berwong

New Wammer
May 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got Encore fully working after I wiped the hdd. I attached a screen shot how to use diskpart for that. You need to run Command Prompt as Administrator. In this case disk 7 is the one I would wipe.
yes I did that and it could work except the last part where the songs cannot be copied to the library. The one disk I tried ripping got stuck permanently under media/data/upload folder and it never got moved to Music. Worse is I cannot map the drive successfully in Windows giving a wrong password error even though I used 'encore' correctly. I can only deduce either a strange hardware pcb fault screwing with the logic or a corrupted installation.

I am now playing songs off a remote share drive connected to my router using the web interface controller. If anyone can send me the CD (iso image) of a fresh recovery installation disk, I can try a fresh install as a last resort.

berwong

New Wammer
May 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would you admit now it was not such a great purchase. I spent a lot of money on mine. I thought i was buying something really special. Was contemplating selling mine on Gumtree. But it seem such a waste for what i'd get offered. You cant sell it on here after this thread. Who would buy one after reading all this. would you buy a car that had a history of faults no one really new how to fix begs the question?
yeah, I got screwed the first time when I bought their M1 Clic which they promptly abandoned on any updates. I thought this encore was on the premise on being future proof based on a PC concept. Alas, it got abandoned faster than Iphone updates. lol. lesson learnt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online