Dynaudio

Mcribbons

Mystic Mac
Wammer
Mar 22, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any updates from dynaudio fans ? Anyone still enjoying theirs or upgraded recently
Sat here listening to my Evoke 30s.... Good Company cd by Dead South. They‘re fabulous speakers.

I saw a review by Incar on YouTube and the guy likened the Evoke 30s to the Special 40s. I have not heard the Special 40s, but I can say that the 30s are quite a different speaker compared to the Evoke 10s. They are more neutral, more detailed, more extended in bothe treble and bass, basically more accomplished in every facet.

But.... funnily enough the Evoke 10s have a top to bottom warmth that I absolutely loved.

the Evoke range of speakers won‘t necessarily bowl anyone over on the first listen, but are ones to win you over long term.

At some point I will probably try a power amp using my C6i as a pre. Or try an Electrocompaniet EC80 integrated

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
interesting to see info on the tweeter in the evoke

Cerotar: a brand-new tweeter
Up top is the brand-new 28mm Cerotar soft-dome tweeter. Our engineers looked behind the curtain of the award-winning Special Forty and money-no-object Confidence tweeters and cherry-picked some key technologies to bring to Evoke. The headline-grabbing component is the Hexis – an ingenious inner dome that refines the airflow behind the playing surface to smooth-out its frequency response and eliminate unwanted resonances.

The Cerotar, like the woofer, is powered by a powerful Ferrite+ ceramic magnet assembly.

Linking the drivers together is a high-grade second-order crossover that uses the Confidence’s design with different components. So, yes, when we say you’re getting high-end tech, we mean it.

Honest Danish design

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any updates from dynaudio fans ? Anyone still enjoying theirs or upgraded recently

Just thought I'd add my tuppence to this - and my full-circle speaker journey with Dynaudio. My first Dynaudios were Audience 52s from the early 90s, which I've still got in the attic - having previously had various Acoustic Energy, Acoustic Research and Mission floor-standers and standmounts which were my first foray into fairly decent speakers after having built my own floor-standers when a student in the seventies - constructed from EMI elliptical BBC monitors (bought in one of those now long-disappeared Soho small electronics shops) and fairly heavy plywood.
From the 52s I went to 62s, then Contour 1.3 then Contour 1.3se - the latter I regret selling as they were outstanding, but at the time my amp (Bow Wazoo XL) was probably a bit under-powered to drive them to their full potential.
From there I went full ATC - a complete system - SIA150 amp, SCM40 speakers - which in its way very impressive, but ultimately I found it too linear and fatiguing, and also not good at low volume which I tend to use a lot, especially in the evenings.
So from there I went to Harbeths - P3ESR then 30.1, driven by a range of Glenn Croft amps - from the 'basic' line-integrated up to the pre 25R and 7R monos - a lovely sound and very relaxing/organic/non-fatiguing.
Those set-ups lasted quite a few years, then I started experimenting with amps again - Sugden Masterclass IA4 and Norma IPA140. Both worked well with the 30.1's, especially the Norma - I hadn't realised what a difference substantial power can make to the Harbeths even though they can be driven successfully by quite low-powered (valve) amps.
The 30.1's were lovely to my ears, but I began to feel that perhaps the mid-range was a bit too warm and bloated and maybe some speakers with a bit more focus and definition would complement the very musical and organic nature of the Norma. As chance would have it I'd been reading-up on Dynaudios again, especially the Heritage Special which came out a few years ago - Steve Huff's and Steve Guttenberg's reviews are very persuasive amongst others.
However they were outside my price range new, but then House Elf of this parish put a pair up for sale at an attractive price, which after selling my 30.1's and one or two other items wasn't too much for me to bridge the difference. Bizarrely I'd bought the 30.1's from him a few years earlier - immaculate as were the Dynaudios - so he's now my speaker supplier of choice!
The Heritage Specials did everything I wanted and more - the numerous reviews describe better than I can their qualities, but suffice it to say they have a mid-range quite close to the 30.1's but better bass, more definition and focus, great soundstage and immense detail - and totally non-fatiguing. Also exceptionally well made - if a rather traditional cabinet style - which I happen to like. I've had them for around 18 months and no urge to change them. The Norma has plenty of power on tap which they need, as with the Contour 1.3se's - 85db and 4 ohms - I think they need at least 100 watts to be at their best.
Maybe at some point I might try something a bit different - never used Proac or Spendor for example, but at the moment I think these Dynaudios are very much keepers. They're a bit of a rarity - only 2,500 pairs made worldwide, but I gather the Special 40s which are more plentiful and half the price at least come very close to them.

Last edited:

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Must admit to being intrigued and hankering after a pair of the Heritage Specials myself there were two used pairs recently at different dealers and I was very tempted but then as I run a flee watt system that also meant a new amp to drive them was required as well. Luckily for my wallet they were both snapped up within a couple of weeks.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
brilliant , thanks for your thoughts both . glad the marvellous Norma amp still cutting it. as you know i had one on demo not too long ago . nearly got a pair of 52se the other day but one tweeter damaged [ as often they are ] . the special 40 out of budget currently new so that dynaudio itch is going to have to wait . instead something else will be coming ... we shall see how that progresses

Reactions: deggie and Blodger

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chap who quite likes the Special 40s was asking for speaker recommendations over on the 2 channel section so I suggested the beautiful Heritage Specials (which by all accounts are very special indeed). Totally blanked me so he can do one as far as I’m concerned. I’ve had numerous pairs of Dynaudios (well, three different Contours) and enjoyed them all! Fabulous speakers.

GS Red

New Wammer
Dec 31, 2020
Hi
Does anyone know if there is a forum where used Dynaudio speakers are bought and sold.
Regards

tdir

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Previously owned 1.3se, Special 25 and currently the Heritage Special‘s driven by a Luxman L-509x. However, if I had to chose between the 3 would be the 1.3se in a heartbeat they literally encapsulated all the qualities of the other two - selling them was my biggest regret.

Reactions: Blodger

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Previously owned 1.3se, Special 25 and currently the Heritage Special‘s driven by a Luxman L-509x. However, if I had to chose between the 3 would be the 1.3se in a heartbeat they literally encapsulated all the qualities of the other two - selling them was my biggest regret.
Interesting given they were much the cheapest of the three.
Nice pair of 1.3se in the classifieds here:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/dynaudio-contour-1-3se-rosewood-bookshelf-speakers.119790/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online