There are some great replies here.
Some (unbiased) input from me:
I originally went to a streamer/renderer/DAC all in one because I lost patience with IT stuff I didn’t really understand and (more importantly)didn’t take the time to understand.
My first foray into all this started years ago using a Pioneer Blu-ray player with early version DLNA, streaming MP3s wirelessly from a PC in a different room. It was woeful, sounded dire and dropped out every 20 seconds...
I moved onto WD Live boxes, various Slim devices /Logitech boxes ending with a Touch some years ago. I still had issues. I still couldn’t understand 90% of the advice I was given. I slowly lost the will to live having to add plug in, soft through 3rd partly apps and software and lots of other stuff I, didn’t, understand. A pattern was forming.
I swapped to a Marantz streamer. A bit dull sounding. Then a Pioneer N50. A bit sharp sounding. A nightmare with gapless tracks unless you used the (shite) Pioneer app.
I then ripped CDs to a Synology NAS. Ran out of room so upgraded the NAS to a more powerful version with bigger drives and moved to a CA SM6 Streamer - now we were getting somewhere. Decent app/control point, wired so robust and reliable and the best sound yet. I sold my AudioSector NOS DAC as it was now surplus.
Then I went to Richer Sounds to buy a TV but listened to an 851N system they had running - whoa....
Kept the old TV, sourced an 851N and used it without issue streaming my own CD and DSD rips, streamed from Spotify, Tidal (Masters using MconnectHD to feed HD to the 851) and latterly Qobuz hi-res integrated into the much better CA app. I use my CD player as a transport into the 851 DAC, family use their phones to airplay or blutooth (aptX) playlists to it, Inoccasionally use the internet radio options. It’s been a simple, elegant and fine sounding solution for a fellow Luddite. One box fed with a single Ethernet from my router covers 99% of my listening. The digital inputs cover the other 1%.
Well, they did until I heard a mates Naim NDX/XPS.
It never bloody ends does it?
Thats my objective journey so far. The 851N is for sale but if you find a better fit, a better solution then I’ll be pleased for you. Genuinely.
Good luck with it all.
Im just about to check if bubble server on the NAS is transcoding from FLAC to WAV to feed the NDX and, if so, which sounds better.....