Newbie Wammer
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

17 Good

About Nifkin

  • Rank
    Junior Wammer

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Not wanting to take this thread off track, but with all this talk of Arcam amps I'm intrigued: with the A39 being a class G amp primarily, what class are the earlier amps, including the OP's, the A65/75/85, and the A38? Is it only from A39 onwards that Arcam use Class G tech? There's not much info I can find about earlier models. I've got an A65 plus and it's lovely and warm: Perhaps the OP wants to check out models from the Arcam's DiVA range of amps to replace an Alpha: would be a bit newer but would sound similar enough.
  2. That's not what I found last night.
  3. And all I asked is where can I get my hand some spongy bungs!
  4. That's as good an explanation as required: the reason I'm looking at open celled foam is because I want to further dampen the output and reduce the amplitude of the low frequencies a bit, not to create a sealed enclosure. And thanks everyone else for you views on this.
  5. The image above pretty much spells out my understanding of how the bungs are supposed to attenuate low frequencies, with the graph comparison demonstrating how bass roll-off is extended when bungs are used.
  6. Nobody here has said conclusively whether a port bung is meant to block or meant to absorb...
  7. Good find, but when I spoke to Tannoy's customer care, despite having an article on their website saying that they can supply them, they've denied all knowledge. Tannoy are part of a group of companies now, and their customer service is handled as a group concern, so it isn't as good as it could be.
  8. But if a port bungs can attenuate bass frequencies (as I've read), surely that can described as the bung absorbing some of the sound? Many speaker manufacturers do appear to supply port bungs with their speakers, and they seem to be made out of acoustic foam.
  9. As already mentioned in my OP, Tannoy weren't any help.
  10. On the matter of closed vs open cell foam: my understanding is acoustic foam, which is used in recording studios, speaker grills etc is open celled. This is what I'm after as open cell foam allows for airflow, i.e. it prevents the pressure inside the enclosure building up, but at the right thickness, can also attenuate the lowest frequencies and provide for a more shallow roll-off curve for those frequencies: therefore you don't lose any bass, just that it's volume is reduce by 2 or 3db, which just may help with the issue I've got. Or it might not: but if I can get hold of a pair of acoustic foam bungs for little cost, there's no hard in giving them a go.
  11. Yeah saw those. Too small unfortunately. Thanks for researching though!
  12. Unless I just don't need the EQ in the new place? Ideally I'm looking for an inexpensive quick fix for a few months only without investing in additional kit that I don't need.
  13. Hmm, I don't think a loosely balled trainer sock is anything like sealing the port with wood and glue. All I'm after is a two suitably shaped bits of acoustic foam to see what difference it can make: from what I've read it may well work with my design of speaker. As before it's a lot less expensive than going down the EQ/room treatment route for a room that I'm not going to be occupying in 6 months time. Just surprised no one knows where foam bungs can be acquired: I like to use my socks as socks
  14. Hi Keith, I may be prepared to do that if there turns out to be issues with our new home, but, as I already said, I'm not prepared to fanny around with the room acoustics when we have six months at the most left in this current place. Software, EQ etc all cost money for an issue that can be effectively attenuated in the short term (which is all that's needed) by some acoustic foam bungs.
  15. Hello, I know this question comes up from time to time, but I haven't found a conclusive answer: I have my lovely new Tannoy XTs set up in the lounge of my loft apartment. As great as they sound, the acoustics of the space are terrible, as the space is about 20sqm and pretty much all the walls are stud walls. What this has resulted in is quite a pronounced drum effect at certain midbass frequencies. Now, I haven't got time to fanny around with the room's acoustics, due to the fact that we shall be moving into somewhere bigger (with real walls!) by the end of the year, so I want to get my hands on some acoustic foam bungs for the downward firing ports of my speakers: this is will help attenuate the bass frequencies that need tightening up. I've already tried this using balled up socks, and it has worked to a degree, but would rather find a tidier solution which allows for decent airflow from the ports whilst reducing the amplitude of the bass. I have tried asking a couple of foam companies, who sell acoustic foam, if they can make a couple of bungs to specification, but, despite having foam size calculators on their sites, they can't make anything as small as 6cm by 5 cm. Does anyone know where I can find the kind of acoustic bungs I'm after? Even Tannoy, whose website claims they can supply them for customers, then say that they don't provide them when asked! Is more than a little bit frustrating and a bit odd: surely I'm not the only person who has wanted these little bits of foam to help customise speaker output? Any useful advice appreciated! Cheers Nifkin