All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to show with this one Keith. If it is that they both sound the same, then it sort of goes against your argument, because they don't measure the same. Amir himself says of the Benchmark: "Even in high gain, the AHB2 easily outperforms the DIY Hypex NC400 I had tested before which used to be the best amp I had tested". So one "easily outperforms" the other, but they both sound the same? If you're suggesting that both have measurements of specific things that are differences below the level that would be discernable, you are probably correct. However, it just all seems to reinforce that measurements are a complete waste of time without context. Like statistics, they can be easily manipulated to show pretty much what you want. I could easily give you a measurement of distortion from my 845SET that would be incredibly low. Of course, it would be at specific frequencies and comparatively very low power, but I can get well under 0.05%. Not at a realistic listening level, but it illustrates my point. The vast majority of specifications about performance do not necessarily reflect real-world use. As it happens, I agree with you about 'synergy'. Virtually all of this 'black art' is simply matching things correctly in electrical terms. Funny then, that whilst they all throw distortion measurements around like they're going out of fashion, I've seen more than one or two examples of things like preamplifiers not quoting figures for input or output impedance.
  3. [1983] Genesis ‎– Genesis [2007 SACD]
  4. The rest of the LP12 is Keel, Ekos SE, and Urika II. I currently have the Akurate Radikal and Krystal. I'd love to compare the two setups. Does anyone out there have some insight as to which would sound better?
  5. If you can find one, a vintage Pioneer A-09 class A monster integrated would float your boat.
  6. The more you pay the better you get! The Hypex modules measures excellently and yet are relatively inexpensive. (your ears really aren’t) Keith
  7. The most enjoyable CD player I ever heard was an Audia Flight, it was played after a DCS something or other and it made the DCS sound like a bag of nails. Really beautiful stuff but very little known about in the U.K. if I was in the market I’d buy it in a flash....
  8. We (my colleagues and I) consistently remind our aspiring Ph.D. students or even HS grads, that all of the machines used to measure all of the stuff we claim is true was invented by many of the same scientists to help "prove" the very theories we purported in the first place.
  9. I have one. It will just about drive my speakers, but I would be afraid to push it for fear of damage. The specifications on these things are often just lies. Fine if you have £50 speakers that you don't care about, but otherwise best avoided. Anyway, even Class D amps costing thousands sound dreadful. What hope for one costing £10?
  10. Still if it had 80watt pr channel in 4 ohm with less than 1% thd would for the price and size be really good Almost perfect for a small pc setup if you only need 1 input and have 88db and more sensitive speakers (even lower should be okay) https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/tda7498e.pdf
  11. A quick Google for TDA7498E suggests that THD figure is a lie.
  12. I use a smsl sa50 in my workshop and it does a sterling job for less than £50. Works well for me as dust would wreck most open chassis equipment.
  13. We owners like to think so! Both of us...
  14. Audia Flight clearly refreshes the parts other amps cannot reach!
  15. Today
  16. I had a brief play with a DF shortly after its release - had a D700 at the time so all things Nikon were on my radar. I so wanted to like it, and whilst its IQ would no doubt be superb, it just didn't feel special. The styling (surely important in such a retro-centric design) was a mess, and the button lay out was just chaotic. It was an over-baked caricature of its older brethren, not a respectful nod. Shame, could've been brilliant.
  17. Just look at this amp Specs Fosi Audio TDA7498E 160W X 2(4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.04% THD) nothing indicates small about that amp and distortion is low https://www.amazon.com/TDA7498E-Audio-Amplifier-Receiver-Integrated/dp/B077GWVHHN?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_17411185011
  18. Something different but nonetheless a great vibe. 60's & 70's throwback to heavy sounds... Via Bandcamp & cheap too Acid Alice - The Road
  19. I posted that but it was a much cheaper amp than those posted above to be fair. My comment about distortion was with these in mind too a actually.
  20. Another VOC for Tim. Hope you’re enjoying the dac sir. Is it me or do these seem really cheap? I’ve never seen this level of ARC kit at this price before.
  1. Load more activity