All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Durrr... forgot about the good old hi fi engine. Cheers Wiz!
  3. parcelmonkey

Jokes, old or new

I can't believe how ungrateful my wife is. I go to the trouble of buying her a birthday present and she just shouts at me because it's not what she wanted and I haven't even wrapped it myself. I thought she liked fish and chips!
  4. parcelmonkey

Jokes, old or new

If God moves in mysterious ways... How come he has never been in the final of the World Break Dancing Championships?
  5. ESK

Valve amp suggestions for Harbeth 40.1

I used to have the Mastersound 845's and they really are superb. I sold them to fund the purchase of my Conrad Johnson 350. It was an itch I had to scratch but I would be more than happy if I still had the Mastersounds. Personally I found the combination of them with the matching preamp a bit too cosy for my tastes but partnered with a CJ pre (which is a bit leaner) they were fantastic. The 300b monos are meant to be pretty special too. Euan
  6. parcelmonkey

Jokes, old or new

As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Parking Officers funeral a voice was heard yelling - "I'm not dead! I'm not dead yet, let me out!" It was at that moment that the Priest leant forward, sucking air through his teeth and muttered... "Too fudging late pal, I've already done the paperwork!"
  7. Chivas

Thanks for the reply Richard. As above, the Puresound 845 is in the same price league as the Icon mk2, provided you can find a pair like you mentioned. Do you think they will be an improvement on the Icons and more importantly, be able to drive the Harbeth 40.1’s with grip? The interstage design will be a massive plus as I’ve had my issues with the capacitor coupling as you know Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Chivas

It’s a good shout and something that I have considered. The issue though is that if you go up to the latest mk2, there is also a massive jump in price, which opens up other possibilities, for instance the Pure Sounds. The Icon mk2’s are on the shortlist though, so thanks for the recommendation Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Electric Cafe

boenicke Owners Club

@peachathome Have you thought about W8s? Their footprint is small.
  10. Olive201

For Sale - Musical Fidelity 3A preamp and MA50 monos

Hi Still available ? Olivier
  11. whitehart

Gato Audio Owners Club

@Cno, looking forward to your thoughts on your new Gato, is it a home demo, or have you bought it? Mac
  12. Today
  13. Hi Tim_,

A very warm welcome to THE WAM - MUSIC & HIFI FORUM, you are now part of a fantastic group of music lovers and HiFi enthusiasts.

We are very excited that you have decided to join us. It is packed full of interesting reviews, news and pictures of great HiFi systems and other tech gadgets for your enjoyment.

Our members know just about everything there is to know about amps, speakers, turntables and all things music so feel free to introduce yourself and ask them!

SPECIAL 10 MINUTE OFFER

MORE IMAGE AND VIDEO HOSTING
    200MB more space (Wammer 25MB)

MORE PRIVATE MESSAGES
    1000 messages (Wammer 25)

SELL YOUR HIFI
    Use our online Megastore to buy and sell your HiFi (Not Available To Wammers)

SAVE MONEY 
    10% Off Our New Vinyl Sales (Not Available To Wammers)

15% OFF Trade Deals From Our Selected Partners (Not Available To Wammers)

Discounts To BOTH Hifi Shows in Harrogate and Melton Mowbray

UPGRADE TO SUPER WAMMER MEMBERSHIP IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES AND SAVE £5

Upgrade Now To Super Wammer for Just £15 and SAVE Hundreds Over The Year

(Normal Super Wammer Price is £20)

14. Hi Olive201,

A very warm welcome to THE WAM - MUSIC & HIFI FORUM, you are now part of a fantastic group of music lovers and HiFi enthusiasts.

We are very excited that you have decided to join us. It is packed full of interesting reviews, news and pictures of great HiFi systems and other tech gadgets for your enjoyment.

Our members know just about everything there is to know about amps, speakers, turntables and all things music so feel free to introduce yourself and ask them!

SPECIAL 10 MINUTE OFFER

MORE IMAGE AND VIDEO HOSTING
    200MB more space (Wammer 25MB)

MORE PRIVATE MESSAGES
    1000 messages (Wammer 25)

SELL YOUR HIFI
    Use our online Megastore to buy and sell your HiFi (Not Available To Wammers)

SAVE MONEY 
    10% Off Our New Vinyl Sales (Not Available To Wammers)

15% OFF Trade Deals From Our Selected Partners (Not Available To Wammers)

Discounts To BOTH Hifi Shows in Harrogate and Melton Mowbray

UPGRADE TO SUPER WAMMER MEMBERSHIP IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES AND SAVE £5

Upgrade Now To Super Wammer for Just £15 and SAVE Hundreds Over The Year

(Normal Super Wammer Price is £20)

15. parcelmonkey

What are you listening to right now?

Emily Barker - Photos. Fires. Fables
  16. mikeyb

Recording a voicemail? Please can you help.

Play them on phone with speaker on and record on to another phone using recorder app. Or connect phone to speaker/HiFi and record on another phone using a recorder app. I'm sure someone else will come up with more professional suggestions but those would be the easiest and quickest.
  17. Ian

The most wonderful sound I've had from my P3ESRs is with a Croft 25R pre and Radford STA25. Within your budget, even if you go for a Radford Revival one. Different speakers I appreciate but wished to throw this in the mix ! Having said this a well fettled Quad 303 is hard to beat for a beautiful balance of smooth and detailed. There's plenty of room in your budget for a back up one from Amplabs ;-).
  18. Tarzan

Twitchers Thread

Keep the piccies coming lads they are brilliant - well done.
  19. gonzalo1004es

Project Pre Box RS Preamplifier

I tried different amps, and the noise was always there, very soft, but there. The Freya's manual also mentions that as normal, so it was the nature of it. In my case, listening only to classica music was annoying, every time you had a pianissimo passage you heard it...
  20. Tarzan

Audia Flight Owner's Club

It comes with a Pallet people.
  21. LONG POST AHEAD - Much to say... Excellent news: the best bit of advice is go sit on some and see how they feel to you and your body frame. Dependent on your torso, the reach to the handlebars will either feel too much of a stretch or not. Some further news, belt drives are quieter in operation and of course cleaner. However, they are not completely maintenance free, requiring perfect set up to run true and not slightly twisted, otherwise they can and do snap. The bottom brackets do wear out over time, especially if someone has over tensioned the belt. If you are dynamic with pedalling this can also cause some issues with belts snapping, however you'd have to be pushing hard. They are not that great in muddy or dusty conditions as this can cause issues with clogging. The other downside is gear ratios, very little choice, so ensure the ratios are right for you and the terrain you'll be travelling on. The upside to hub gears, you can change gears at the lights without moving, derailleurs need you to be pedaling to change gears and I've seen people in the wrong chainset cog and rear cogs often, which causes chains to wear prematurely. 700C wheels are less compliant on the road, compared to 29'ers which roll better and absorb bumps better but are slightly slower to get up to speed. Bigger more cushioned tyres which means you don't require suspension forks. Marin bikes have always had a name & prices to match, nice looking bikes, good frames, comfortable rides but normally cheaper components. Cannondale, excellent rides, creaky frames always, ride one to see what I mean, the lefty fork can be off-putting to some as it's a single fork to the left side, can be expensive in parts. Unless you're spending more money, at your lower price points, chain derailleurs (messy) and cable operated hydraulic brakes, not as good as hydraulic and will need adjusting more regularly. You either love 'em or hate them. Always look like cool rides. Been around forever, they know how to build rides. The Cube looks more like the value for money bike. A good mix of nice frames, average mix of lower end high quality pieces and mid range components. Good hydraulic brakes, Shimano hubs and gears (good) not sure about cranksets, you'll need to find out about availability and price there, as already stated, these chainsets & bottom brackets do wear out in a couple of thousand miles dependent on use. If it was me, draw up a list of what you'll want the bike for and where you will use it, around how many miles you'll use it per year and how much is your top end. Also factor in the possibility you'll enjoy it and wouldn't then have to upgrade to better as this will lose you money in the longer term. Do look at the rims are they double walled, what size are the wheel spokes as they need to be thicker too; in case you are an animal and will be bumping up and off curbs! Naughty... Remember: Strong - Light - Cheap. You can only ever choose 2... e.g Strong & light, means it ain't cheap! If you are going to use a bike for 90% road, with occasional green lanes, I'd go for a Trekking bike like this Try and get the 29'er version for a softer ride if available and affordable, it comes fitted with all weather protection and carriers so you could attach panniers. Giant Bicycles used to do an excellent version of this, very comfortable. Do invest in some wet weather gear, Endura cycling gear is good quality and most importantly breathable. All bike shops are on around 30% mark ups for bicycles; some up to 45%, best bet for negotiations, negotiate hard on accessories, that's where retailers make big margins, we used to make up to 150% on certain items... Finally, find a dealer that listens to your questions, plenty don't, find one you feel you can trust and take one for a test drive. Happy wobbling riding! P.S. - Bag yourself a great package and cycle happy. On the above model, definitely negotiate replacement of seat post for a suspension model: like this... It takes the sting out of your bum when hitting bumps! This might be useful reading too: If not already seen? https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/round-ups/round-up-hub-geared-hybrids
  1. Load more activity