Dipstick

First speaker build begins

152 posts in this topic

I've got the Naim Nait 1 out and plug it into the cd player and leave something on repeat for 8-10 hours each day, hopefully will speed up the process.

They are certainly still improving, there's been a big change in sound recently, more bass, smoother mids and a wider soundstage. Highs don't quite match up yet but they had no break in before being installed and they are smoother, still not quite getting the depth I expected but I'm going to start messing with positioning soon which may soet that out.

They do sound more cohesive than others I've tried and give a big wall of sound effect even at lower volumes, female vocals are stunning, acoustic stringed instruments have a real body and presence about them, all in all it's looking good so far :D

Nope mate, not possible.....

They are certainly still improving, there's been a big change in sound recently, more bass, smoother mids and a wider soundstage. Highs don't quite match up yet but they had no break in before being installed and they are smoother, still not quite getting the depth I expected but I'm going to start messing with positioning soon which may soet that out.

They do sound more cohesive than others I've tried and give a big wall of sound effect even at lower volumes, female vocals are stunning, acoustic stringed instruments have a real body and presence about them, all in all it's looking good so far :D

Woooah! They look v purposeful Des . Well done . Those big stiff cones must engage the room space v good from front wave and the harnessed back wave too.

I wondered how much watts they accept?Valve power gives the amperes they crave?

I'm told there are tricks to running in like putting one speaker out of phase so inroom cancellation occurs for overnite playing!

Peak power handling 800w continuous max power 400w!

Here's a pic of them in situ and getting closer to their final position, still a bit of tinkering to do with distance from the wall and toe in. Still smoothing out and improving tonally (richer, fuller sounding) but the process has slowed down considerably.

15992005237_66c7b28147_o.jpg

16177798395_518bb09d6a_o.jpg

15555440994_575afc097c_o.jpg

Valve, nait is just for running in....

Looking good Des. :^

Do you feel extra satisfaction through having made them yourself?

Yes Steve, making them from a kit put them into the "just about affordable" range for me, I'm absolutely certain they are better, for me, than any sub £2k speaker I've heard.

I'll have a couple of bakeoffs later in the year and do Scalford (if funds allow) and let other people have a listen. Might be hard hearing criticism of them ;) but I am interested in what other people think of them.

Yes Steve, making them from a kit put them into the "just about affordable" range for me, I'm absolutely certain they are better, for me, than any sub £2k speaker I've heard.

I'll have a couple of bakeoffs later in the year and do Scalford (if funds allow) and let other people have a listen. Might be hard hearing criticism of them ;) but I am interested in what other people think of them.

Ultimately it's what you think of them what matters Des, your ears, your money, but I am looking forward to hearing them. :)

Ultimately it's what you think of them what matters Des, your ears, your money, but I am looking forward to hearing them. :)

Tis true but don't we all, deep down, like to have other opinions on our choices, especially from people who's view we respect? I wouldn't and haven't got rid of kit because other people thought it was poor and won't start now....Unless of course this ear infection clears up and suddenly I go "WTF have I done!" :D

Here's a pair that I made earlier.

As the Bastanis dealer in the UK I have the full range on demo - if anyone would like to hear them.

- - - Updated - - -

And the rest of the Bastanis family.[ATTACH]12536[/ATTACH]

What's your location?