Dipstick

First speaker build begins

152 posts in this topic

I've just ordered the drivers and electronics to build a set of Bastani Wildhorn speakers. Reason for choosing them is reputation, the way the owner has answered my endless questions and the simplicity of the cabinet.

Even a bumpy like myself can manage these and make them look decent. It also makes building my own valve amp (future project) easier as they are 100dBm and 8 ohm so can be driven by low powered see valve amps

Cool Des, looking forward to following your journey:^.

Well I'll do pictures and eventually a mini review, and it's an excuse for a new year bakeoff 😄

2016 New Year then? In Rabski mode......(-:

Does your Room look like this?!!!!

Nah much bigger

Hi,

Good luck with the project.

I have the " Wildhorn`s" myself. The finishing is not done but i´m playing with them as it is.

Pre-burn period of the driver is crucial. They require a very long time to get the supension loosen.

The sound and soundstage is very lively/open and neutral.

Regards

Michael

Thanks for the info Michael, Robert has suggested running the widebands in by using a 30hz tone facing each other and one out of phase. Somewhere around a 1.5 to 2cm excursion to loosen them up and then it should just need normal use to finish running them in. Not sure how long the initial break in takes but I plan on running them 24/7 until it's done.

"Lively/open and neutral" could you expand on that? I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the range, the Matterhorns are well reviewed and what stands out for me in the descriptions is the openness of the sound and dynamics.

Hi,

I´m using a sin15Hz signal and movment of the cone of aprox. +- 1cm. So far i have 200h on them as break in time and i will add more pre-burn hours during the finishing work of the cabinets.

The sound and the midrange is very life-like and realistic,resolving and detailed. Therefore i found them sensitive upon what you feed them with. Records with bad production will sound bad but records with high quality will sound VERY good.

You need to feed them with high quality gear since Bastanis will let you know otherwise. I have the same experences with Bastanis open baffles.

/Michael

Well initially I'll be using the puesound a30 but plan on building something single ended and lower powered, maybe an EL84 based amp (Decware zen stereo kit) or a 300b amp (tubelab look ok) to feed it, quite happy with my sources.

Thanks for the extra input, can't wait to get them going....

Nothing to photo yet, be patient my young paduan

That would be most excellent Michael

Yes it would Michael as Des's photos are rubbish;-).