Samantha

Formula 1 2015

1,328 posts in this topic

Seats could be tight next year. Potentially, 3 teams folding (Red Bullshit and Toro Rosemary have no engine deals and Renault taking over at Enstone is still fraught with difficulties) plus only 1 new one. I suspect that Magnussen has been released (at his management's request) to explore drives outside F1.

Seats could be tight next year. Potentially, 3 teams folding (Red Bullshit and Toro Rosemary have no engine deals and Renault taking over at Enstone is still fraught with difficulties) plus only 1 new one. I suspect that Magnussen has been released (at his management's request) to explore drives outside F1.

TBH I'm not sure why this 'released' things is news all of a sudden. His option was October 1st so as soon as Jenson - same date - got fluffed by Ron he was toast. Maybe he'd have survived had they taken a share of manor with Honda engines, but Homda seemed to nix that some months ago.

Stoffel seems more 'special' to me, so if Mc really rate him they'll pay for his Renault seat with all the money they're getting from their new Title Sponsor, who'll be signing next week. Or the week after. Eh, Ron?

TBH I'm not sure why this 'released' things is news all of a sudden. His option was October 1st so as soon as Jenson - same date - got fluffed by Ron he was toast. Maybe he'd have survived had they taken a share of manor with Honda engines, but Homda seemed to nix that some months ago.

Stoffel seems more 'special' to me, so if Mc really rate him they'll pay for his Renault seat with all the money they're getting from their new Title Sponsor, who'll be signing next week. Or the week after. Eh, Ron?

I agree with much of that Craig.

Vandoorne IS very special. Whether that translates to F1 is mostly moot as that is the case with ALL new drivers. From what I have seen so though, Vandoorne is more specialer than Kevin :^

More on the sad McLaren debacle - sorry, just realised that this might be subscriber content only:

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/6728/why-mclaren-risks-longterm-failure/?_ga=1.183748006.1007511075.1442501303

The basic story is that, taking Williams and its downs and ups as an example, if you've been down for a long time, the way back can be very long and very painful (and, for McLaren after this particularly dismal year, very expensive).

That is a fair summary.

To get out of the mess requires getting rid of the technical leadership that put them there. Williams did that after year after year of decline and they started to pick up. Currently I think Williams are punching above their weight (mainly due to the powerplant) and the comments regarding their low speed performance working party shows that they do not have the technical direction that they really need to go forwards.

Interestingly two of the three best F1 technical directors are not working in F1...

I watched the Russian GP on US TV (part of the basic satellite TV deal) and found the commentators to be as bad as ever. The ex Benetton mechanic said that he had a very good chat on twitter with the Ferrari female strategist, called Ruth. He said that she was doing a stunning job based on this conversation. Difficult to see how he could make any judgement of that sort given he had no idea as to how race strategy was determined in a team like Ferrari, or indeed any team where it is done to a high standard. I think I should just switch off the commentary and use the F1 timing app that Frank recommended and the TV footage to follow the race.

For those that are interested, they use extensive stochastic modelling and detailed statistical analysis to help them make strategic decisions based on the risk profile that they are comfortable with at that race event. As an example of the effectiveness of the approaches used, in 2012 (before Ruth started at Ferrari), Alonso gained on average 3 places between race start and race end. Part of that was due to his talents as a driver, but a large chunk of it was due to clever use of the strategy toolset.

It would appear to be spectacularly wet in Texas at the moment:

https://instagram.com/p/9MQBKrLpVs/

https://twitter.com/Lotus_F1Team/status/657637987472289796

Understatement! Absolutely horrendous when the storms hit. Some pics here from our first day at the track.

I find the whole younger driver selection process a mystery, meaning that I haven't got a clue about how to select the best drivers, whereas many people seem to be able to do this well, and some team owners are very good at this.

It would be good to try to use a driver in the loop simulator to try to determine aspects of a driver's performance that identifies whether they would be quick in other racing series.

At a very basic level, one of the areas that set Senna apart from all other drivers that I saw on car logged data for was the ability to drive the car out into combined lateral and longitudinal acceleration areas. The combined area was where other drivers rarely got into and clearly there is lap time to be gained if you can drive the car out there (aim to maximise vehicle acceleration at all times).

4 wheel drive and wet/winter tyres needed?