Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinHead

Amp recommendations please!

23 posts in this topic

Had two Cambridge Audio 740A amps - the first I killed, the second failed. Moved to a 840A and love it - it sounds fantastic. Clarity and punch and everything. But this morning it failed on me again.

Richer Sounds have been fantastic and offered a full refund, no problem, which is really good.

So, with me £750 what would be a good replacement? If it's any help I hated the Pioneer A-A9-J I tried briefly - too harsh and screechy.

Music wise, I like rock (Pavement, Soungarden everything really), accoustic (guitar), some jazz-ey stuff (Weather report etc).

Room is about 5 or 6 meters long by about 4 wide ish. Other gear is Monitor Audio RS6 speakers and CA640v2 cdp.

Any help and advice welcome...

I seriously would consider valves with the Monitor Audio speakers.

OtherwiseDensen may be worth a bash.

I found MF worked very well with MA speakers. I doubt you'd do better than find a SH A308 integrated.

Thanks Papa - I was thinking valves might be interesting, but not sure what I could get for my budget. Sevenoaks suggested a Primare I20 (?) on the 'fone - is this good advice or way off the mark? Obviously they said to come in and listen, but wanna have lotsa help and advice before demo-ing stuff.

I know I'm sounding a bitlike a stuck record (remember those? :P)but I'dsuggest a trial with an NVA AP70 integrated amp. EBAY_LINK - £720 delivered. Or an NVA AP50 integratedHERE for £570.

If you need remote control of volume you'll have to add one of THESE - £135 delivered. (You might get a P&P discount if buying more than 1 item)

Or look up an NVA pre/power combo of your choice. Full list of eBay NVA kit HERE.

I really like this stuff - great sound - great vfm - and the NVA guy's a pleasure to deal with. 14 day money back trial period.

There's also a used P50 passive pre on auction at the moment. ;)

PinHead wrote:

Had two Cambridge Audio 740A amps - the first I killed, the second failed.  Moved to a 840A and love it - it sounds fantastic.  Clarity and punch and everything.  But this morning it failed on me again.

Troubling to learn that you've had 3 Cambridge Audio amps pack up you - something must be seriously wrong with their QC. I'm thinking of moving to a passive-pre/power combo and I'd pencilled in the forthcoming 840W as a possible power to audition, but on hearing your woes I'm becoming wary.

Musical Fidelity do a good job with MA speakers.

ultrawomble wrote:

PinHead wrote:
Had two Cambridge Audio 740A amps - the first I killed, the second failed. Moved to a 840A and love it - it sounds fantastic. Clarity and punch and everything. But this morning it failed on me again.

Troubling to learn that you've had 3 Cambridge Audio amps pack up you - something must be seriously wrong with their QC. I'm thinking of moving to a passive-pre/power combo and I'd pencilled in the forthcoming 840W as a possible power to audition, but on hearing your woes I'm becoming wary.

Musical Fidelity do a good job with MA speakers.

Bit of a shame really as I knew reliability was a big issue for their AV receivers but I hadn't known much go wrong with their audio ranges until now.

Another thought: The Australian importer of MA kit also imports Roksan electronics as the natural partner for the speakers. The Caspian integrated should be within your budget new and should work very well with your speakers.

I think you will need warm-ish amp to go with the MA so something like Myryad, Auidio Analog or Creek are my choices.

Admin

Audio Analogue

JANDL100 wrote:

I know I'm sounding a bitlike a stuck record (remember those? :P)but I'dsuggest a trial with an NVA AP70 integrated amp. EBAY_LINK - £720 delivered. Or an NVA AP50 integratedHERE for £570.

If you need remote control of volume you'll have to add one of THESE - £135 delivered. (You might get a P&P discount if buying more than 1 item)

Or look up an NVA pre/power combo of your choice. Full list of eBay NVA kit HERE.

I really like this stuff - great sound - great vfm - and the NVA guy's a pleasure to deal with. 14 day money back trial period.

There's also a used P50 passive pre on auction at the moment. ;)

You Jerry?

Never :D

If trying vales, you may be able to get a second hand, ex dem Pathos Classic Mk III (actually a hybrid - I found this excellent when I had MA Silver 9i)

Otherwise take a look at Prima Luna, Icon Audio, or the Puresound that has already been suggested