Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hifistudent

Isolation........

39 posts in this topic

I am in a slight dilemma. As a poor student I am unable to currently justify spending £150 on an isolation platform for my Cyrus CD6 :x

I was thinking of a cheap/temporary solution as it is currently sitting on the floor (tragic!). I did wonder about a granite/marble tile as they are only about £10. :D

Any one have any ideas/tried, cheap solutions or general feedback.

Cheers :cool:

The Earl will be along in a minute to tell you you need to visit 3 shoppes:

1. Argos

2. Your local sports shoppe ( a propper one. Not one of those places on trading estates where Chavs go clothes shopping.)

3. A furniture or hardware shoppe.

Just you wait.. he will honest. ;)

Admin

hifistudent wrote:

I am in a slight dilemma. As a poor student I am unable to currently justify spending £150 on an isolation platform for my Cyrus CD6 :x

I was thinking of a cheap/temporary solution as it is currently sitting on the floor (tragic!). I did wonder about a granite/marble tile as they are only about £10. :D

Any one have any ideas/tried, cheap solutions or general feedback.

Cheers :cool:

As a student if you spend £150 on and islation platform you'll be isolated as well. Follow Jammy's advice and spend therest on boozing and sex.

... so what you want is:

1 stone chopping board from either Asda or Argos - about 12 quid. Pause toeyeball the bling in Lizzie Duke section - raw class!

4 whole (not halved or chopped) squash balls from your localEmprio Chavmani (sports shop)

4 castor cups from a vast, depressing, soulless Church of Mammon (DIY superstore)

Pop yer squash balls in yer castor cups, top with yer stone slab, and there yer have it: yer actual bargain DIY isolation platform - not available in Burberry

God knows what the Chav theme's all about, probably senility... :Not Sure:

Alternative to the above. Use a Bicycle inner tube partially inflated under the slab or a pice of medite cut to size and sprayed/painted desired colour.

Cheap Townshend Seismic jobbie fo a fiver. Then spend the rest on sex and booze anyway :djermaica: or other exotica

:force:

Different ways to approach this.

One is isolation to avoid unwanted vibrations from reaching your CD player -cones, spikes, squash balls etc will do the job

The other is vibration absorption - convert the inherent (acquired) vibration energy to heat hence dissipating it.

The best is perhaps a combination of the two.

You can take it a step furher by determining the fundamental inherent frequency of the vibration in your CD player and cater your design to cover this band of frequency - just to be 100% sure that you are dealing with it.

Chezi

Nice pics is that yer shite lp12 off to the left .

That amp looks the biz.

Just got hold of a couple of one inch thick rubber absorbtion tiles, normally used in childrens play areas. They are spongy, andlook like they might be a good material for absorbing vibration! I may try themwith a piece of marble, either underneath, or sitting on top of the marble (could even try sticking it between two pieces of marble). Has anyone had any experience of experimenting with this sort of material, and if so, how were the results? :Not Sure:

hifistudent wrote:

Chezi,

Cheers for the pics.

I will do that. However, where did you get the wooden cones from?

Mike

Made them myself at work (I'm a Centre-lathe Turner to trade).

You can buy them from Russ Andrews but not cheap.:shock:

Try the squash balls and cups with one slab of granite first.

chezi.