Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnniebaby

Turntable choices, comments please.

95 posts in this topic

The Kuzma disappeared off Max's website about a week ago, I was considering it as my first decent turntable.

I've just bought the Vpi that had been on the Audio Destination website but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't give you my thoughts.

There is a private 2nd hand one on ebay at the moment as there are P9 and Hyper.

There's a Clearaudio Satisfy/Solution that's been on HiFiForsale/PinkFish/ZeroGain for a while at what appears a bargain £775.

The Acoustic Signature Challenger has a lot of positive press, but it's £1300 without arm and I haven't seen any 2nd hand or ex-demo on my searches.

On the subject of NA decks, another one to consider is the Interspace Junior, which lookslike a very neat package for the price and includes an Interspace Arm (also a uni-pivot) as standard. Noteworthy Audio sell and highly recommend this deckand when I last visited I recall them telling me that they rate it even higher than the Rega P7, which they also sell.

Gromit wrote:

As to the OL arm - yup, I've no doubt the Silver is very good but for the money it just doesn't seem to offer much. The finish isn't particularly impressive (imho) plus why buy one when as you rightly say the Tecno offers so much for less? A friend of mine uses a Tecno on a (shock horror!) LP12 which sounds just fabulous - blew the Akito into next week. A typical Michell product - beautifully engineered and executed. And it works bloody well. :)

Hmmm........really?

Interesting......

stickman wrote:

There's a Clearaudio Satisfy/Solution that's been on HiFiForsale/PinkFish/ZeroGain for a while at what appears a bargain £775.

:^

Otherwise, the Kuzma (if you can find one!), or there's a Clearaudio Champion Level 2 turntable, clear perspex,with Unify 9" tonearm direct wired with Sixstream cable - box, manual - as new condition at Audio Consultants for £1800

JonR wrote:

Hmmm........really?

Interesting......

Does indeed Jon - despite the cries of 'heretic' from the cognescenti ;)

Seriously, it seems to be a good match - last time I heard it was sounding very nice indeed. :)

are you in the least bit DIY ?

if so a good Direct Drive would take you into another league

the DIY will allow your hadcock to be used - and you can set the plinth to perfection

if your interested theres a thread on the DIY section on my JVC creation.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=9805&forum_id=19&highlight=jvc+dd

it now has the decca cart which is just the dogs nuts

Liam

Gromit wrote:

JonR wrote:

Hmmm........really?

Interesting......

Does indeed Jon - despite the cries of 'heretic' from the cognescenti ;)

Seriously, it seems to be a good match - last time I heard it was sounding very nice indeed. :)

Thanks for that, Gromit.

That tells me all I need to know ;-]

JonR wrote:

Thanks for that, Gromit.

That tells me all I need to know ;-]

You're very welcome Jon - and I think I get your drift ;)

(or my ears have lost contact with reality!) :D

ClassikFan wrote:

Do Nottingham Analogue have a website yet?

I doubt if they even have a fax machine let alone a web site. This is probably the best source of info for NAS: http://www.signals.uk.com/nottinghamatsign.html

ray70 wrote:

ClassikFan wrote:

I doubt if they even have a fax machine let alone a web site. This is probably the best source of info for NAS: http://www.signals.uk.com/nottinghamatsign.html

Is he a member of the Plymouth Bretheren? They are funny about computers and fax machines.

ClassikFan wrote:

ray70 wrote:
ClassikFan wrote:

Is he a member of the Plymouth Bretheren? They are funny about computers and fax machines.

Stuart - this should tell you a fair bit about NAS and what they do.

I've visited the factory myself and foundthem a thoroughly nice bunch of people. When I say 'factory' it's more like an extended house - the tonearms are built by one man in what appears to be little more than aglorified shed. A true cottage industry and all the better for imo.

Even had a coffee in a chipped mug. :)

JonR wrote:

On the subject of NA decks, another one to consider is the Interspace Junior, which lookslike a very neat package for the price and includes an Interspace Arm (also a uni-pivot) as standard. Noteworthy Audio sell and highly recommend this deckand when I last visited I recall them telling me that they rate it even higher than the Rega P7, which they also sell.

Gromit wrote:

As to the OL arm - yup, I've no doubt the Silver is very good but for the money it just doesn't seem to offer much. The finish isn't particularly impressive (imho) plus why buy one when as you rightly say the Tecno offers so much for less? A friend of mine uses a Tecno on a (shock horror!) LP12 which sounds just fabulous - blew the Akito into next week. A typical Michell product - beautifully engineered and executed. And it works bloody well. :)

Hmmm........really?

Interesting......

I was wondering about the scope for using a Techno on a Xersis (merely out of passing interst you understand!!) - presumably it's a Rega plate so there would be little problem?

Strat

It is a Rega, full stop! Based on the RB250 but with Michells own fixing nut and (I think?) VTA adjuster. What am I doing on a TT thread?:shock: Especially a proper, all grown up big boys TT thread?:shock::shock:

Naahhh! It'll never happen!;)