Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest A.N.

most treasured bit of hifi/music

38 posts in this topic

following on from the best bargain of the year thread, whats your most treasured or lusted after bit of music or hifithat you have bought this year?

for me, it has to be my vinyl copy of Roger Waters Amused To Death.

waited for years til i could really afford or was brave enough to buy a copy.

brilliant on cd, but sublime on vinyl. :cool:

second place would be the recent ear 834p sigpurchase. wanted one for ages, and finally got a s/h mint example for a very nice price.

61Ht3wr6dHL._AA240_.jpg

The War of the Worlds [7-disc Collector's Edition] [CD+DVD] [box set]

Just recieved an e-mail informing me that my 47Labs Shigaraki transport is badly backordered:(And am I ever lusting after it!!!!!

Borats Baby wrote:

Just this year ?

for you rikki, anytime :)

album_pic.php?pic_id=2335

Picked up a CD of this in the Oxfam music shop in Byres Road for 4 quid. I have had the vinyl version since the early 70s but although it looks in good nick it is a bit groove worn. It went to few parties and was played on Dansettes with John Deer agricultural implements for cartridges. :( Still plays ok but a bit crackley in places so a CD copy will help preserve it. The Byres Road Oxfam is a treasure trove btw. Loads of vinyl at sensible prices. Actually my album cover is in better nick than this one though.

The hifi is a commodity - not something I treasure, despite the pleasure it gives me. If it got nicked, I'd be dead happy to claim on the insurance and get similar stuff. The music is more meaningful, although similarly replaceable.

My favourite buy of the year is probably Stephen Isserlis's Bach Cello Suites - I think it's the best around, and it's one of my favourite pieces. I think Julia Fischer's Violin Sonatas and Partitas may come close, but that's too recent a buy to tell!

Adam

I bought a box of classical albums of ebay - 50 in total but contained in there were some lovely mono LXT and Columbia editions which sound fantastic and have really opened my ears to the beauty of old mono recordings.

Total cost of the box of records - £5, p+p £7, best £12 I've spent all year (and possibly ever, there really are some jewles in there and according to the price guide some of the monos could have fetched over £100 if she had sold listed the items).

The plan for the next couple of months is to try and get a step-up transformer to have a play with which I'm hoping will be my next bargain :D, although I also have my eyes on another phono amp but a bit undecided at the moment.

jkbmusic wrote:

61Ht3wr6dHL._AA240_.jpg

The War of the Worlds [7-disc Collector's Edition] [CD+DVD] [box set]

:love: i want :notworthy:

My vinyl collection is something I treasure, particularly the Hip Hop and Electro Funk 12" section which has taken many years to assemble, particularly giventhe fact that I will not buy recordsthat have writing on the label and have to be (at a minimum) graded EX. Mint or sealed is always preferrable.

155:)