Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman

Turntable / Phono stage query

12 posts in this topic

If you were wanting to add a turntable into your system, to play predominantly 2nd hand vinyl (jazz, soul, folk, 70s rock), what would be the best way to split a budget of £1000? ie what percentage on the turntable and on the phono-stage?

(note : I already have a wall-shelf and spare DL-110, so just need to cost turntable, arm and phono-stage)

Would it be sensible to buy a CA640P and spend the rest on turntable/arm?

Or, spend £500 on a better phono-stage and £500 on a lesser deck/arm? etc

2nd hand is always my preference :D

I would say the 640P, especially with a Denon DL110, they blend very well. Being a Rega nut I would suggest a ex dem P5 and power supply if you can find one.

dudywoxer wrote:

I would say the 640P, especially with a Denon DL110, they blend very well. Being a Rega nut I would suggest a ex dem P5 and power supply if you can find one.

This would be my choice too.

Jim

£150 gets you a Creek OBH (-17 I think) which is a perfectly decent soundstage and leaves enough for a really primo turntable (new or second hand frankly!

I'd get solid but easily upgradeable TT (nottingham allows various power supply and platter upgrades) with a reasonably budget tonearm (rega rb250 - 2nd hand even). that way you get the basics in place and the bits you'll want to upgrade are all the slightly cheaper ones...

Rega P5 and a Puresound P10 phono amp if you want new.

Or as Al said, a used Sondek (with a decent arm)and a Puresound P10

I've been using a loaned P10 for the past 5 days and it's fabulous - a decent upgrade from a P75 imho (although it's MM only which won't be a prob with the DL110).

For a £1,000 budget you could probably get away with a Rega P5, Denen 110 and CA 640p as has been suggested above, and with the change I would also add the external Rega PSU which is meant to significantly boost the performance of a P5.