Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enbee23

Speaker terminal help please!

9 posts in this topic

Popped into my local Maplins today to pick up some of these:

jk24b.jpg

I only actually need the screw down "nut" part of these terminals to replace ones with missing plastic shrouds on an amp of mine. Tried to check for thread compatibility in the shop where we discovered that the nuts are captive on the posts.

Any ideas who sells a similar thing but with fully removable nuts? I need four sets and I really don't want to have to replace the complete assemblies.

Thank you.

I think you will find that if you anchor the body in a vice and apply a bit of pressure to the "nut" they will come off anticlockwise. Mind you dont split the plastic.

Any reason why you can'r just replace the binding posts complete? Seems like a good opportunity to go to something like:

n46aq.jpg

On a quality amp if it's the Electrocompaniet you list in what you own,Id opt for getting rid of those generic brass cheapo things and get some Eichman cable pods£33 2 pairsfrom missing link will make your amp sound much better ;)

Otherwise if not try getting some nuts to fit the threads most must be 8mm or see if somone witha lathe could make you some copper ones.

enbee23 wrote:

Popped into my local Maplins today to pick up some of these:

jk24b.jpg

I only actually need the screw down "nut" part of these terminals to replace ones with missing plastic shrouds on an amp of mine. Tried to check for thread compatibility in the shop where we discovered that the nuts are captive on the posts.

Any ideas who sells a similar thing but with fully removable nuts? I need four sets and I really don't want to have to replace the complete assemblies.

Thank you.

Do you absolutely need the plastic shrouds? I guess, what I'm asking is: is it just a cosmetic thing? Or are they broken?

Thanks for all the replies.

The terminals on my amp are still electrically functional but the red & black plastic shrouds have become brittle and split. Thing is, this is an amp I want to sell so I want it to look right as well as work right. I also don't want to spend large amounts of money sorting it so Eichmans, WBTs etc are out. Ideally, I just want to buy terminals like in the pic that I can swap the nuts off.

:)

Bloke in Maplins tried that and it just turned the whole stud in the plastic base plate. I dare say I could buy them and apply tools that would stop that happening :)

Watch this space...