Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enjoy_the_music

Tube selection??? Upgrading the Berning....also spot the Foo

18 posts in this topic

The Siemens E80C have added incredible punch and clarity to the sound. Mucho recommendedido. This triple mica version is a really nice tube.

I emailed David about the tubes and he said the following:

''The tubes to the rear are input, left and right; the middle ones are amplifiers, the front ones are drivers.''

At the moment I am pondering whether I have too much gain. My volume settings are mainly between 9pm and 10pm...hence my thinking I may not be getting the best out of things, although the sound is still fwarckin excellent.

The 4 Siemens 12at7's are in the rear input channels and the amplifier channels. The RCA 12AV7's are in the front driver channels.

Got my eye on some brimar 12at7's, which everyone harps on about. Also some GE 5-star 12av7 tubes as drivers.

enjoy_the_music wrote:

At the moment I am pondering whether I have too much gain. My volume settings are mainly between 9pm and 10pm...hence my thinking I may not be getting the best out of things, although the sound is still fwarckin excellent.

might be worth checking if a lower 'mu' tube with the same characteristics could be substituted for the 12AT7's to lower the overall gain. Is there room inside for something twice the height of the standard tube? Might be worth exploring the likes of an E180CC/7062 which is a wonderful tube, or indeed replace the AT7's with all AV7's. But as always check with the designer for likely issues. Over the years there have been quite a few instances of things like 5965 (computer rated 12AV7's) re-branded as 12AT7's. I've got a set of 6414's reprinted by the manufacturer as 12AT7's which is again a low gain tube closer to the 12AV7 than 12AT7 it's supposed to be - sounds very nice all the same. Just wondered why when I put them in I had to turn the volume up higher so did some research and found the above story!

Hi,

Yes there is room for a taller tube.

I'll try swapping the 12AV7's out for some other types. Better than spending a load of 4 x 12AT7's when I know what i have are fantastic.

Spoke to another user about this and he said he had no problem with too much gain - although he admitted to running the Berning in Normal mode. I prefer Low feedback mode which matches well with my speakers :P

Thanks for the response!

R