Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enjoy_the_music

Tube selection??? Upgrading the Berning....also spot the Foo

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

Can you recommend a supplier of tubes for my Berning amp?

I would like to upgrade from the stock tubes to something...well, worth upgrading to.

Tube compliment is:

4 x 6JN6 tubes

4 x 12AT7 / ECC81

2 x 12AV7

I was considering Brimar, RCA or GE 12AT7 or Mullard....and maybe Mullard 12AV7's.

I checked tubedepot and they are offering cryo'd 'Black Sable' tubes..check it out. I think cryo is foo..but has anyone tried them?

http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct.html

They certainly cost a pretty penny!!!!!

I've thought carefully about this and here is my advice for upgrading your Berning:

Swap it for my pile of vintage Accuphase you admired in another thread. Maybe wouldn't be much of an improvement for you but it sure as hell would work for me.

:D

I would need 4 of these for my pre

http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct-6922-mullard.html

I bought 4 of those mullards NOS, not gold pin version for about £75.00 recently and they sound great!

But the thought of investing $800 dollars is nuts!

I would put that toward some new speakers!

Have you considered going the Telefunken route with the 12AT7 and 12AV7- ECC801S and 5965 respectively? They are very clear sounding.

Although pricey, they can be cheaper from an ebay auction than a dealer IME and will last a long time in the ZH.

Not sure if the output tube quality (6JN6) is as crucial as the 12AT7s/12AV7s. That said, I wonder if my stock cryo'd Sylvanias could be bettered?

I'll have a look. Best probably is to buy in a few types for trial.

Today i spotted some nice ECC801S tubes by telefunken.

A guy in the USA has quoted around $300 for the 6 tubes. RCA's and Brimar.

Yo.

Well personnally I prefer the pot. The pot is very well manufactured and provides more volume flexibility.

As for overall sound quality maybe there might be the tiniest bit less noise on truly sensitive speakers...but on mine, even at 96db sensitivity I heard nothing.

I thought I heard somewhere that the pot sounded better. But you think it just provides better volume flexiblity and not much else. :)

Have you tried omitting the preamp? I have with the CD player, which is great, but not tried the record deck yet- but I don't see how there's going to be enough volume from the phono stage anyway.

Hi,

I do prefer the pot. To be honest I havent got two Berning's here to test side by side. A friend says that the pot makes the Berning sound more 'soulful'...take from that what you will...to me that means slightly more noise.

Anyway I bought the first load of tubes. Very nice ones too from a guy nearby in germany. Apparently these are rated with the very top 12AT7's and ECC801S's..transparent and punchy. We'll see.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190122375077

Bought 5 even though i need 4 only...always good to have a spare.

Now on to the 12AV7's.

Just bought 12AV7's.

http://cgi.ebay.de/5965-12AV7-RCA-4-DUAL-AUDIO-TRIODES-TUBES-VALVES_W0QQitemZ260156146430QQihZ016QQcategoryZ113168QQcmdZViewItem

Good price 41 euros shipped for 4! :)

I think 12AV7s are probably less sought after?

David Hi, hope you are well, are you going to Heathrow, perhaps I might see you there? How's the Berning compare to your Cary? Very best wishes,keith.