• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darrenm

iPod haters

82 posts in this topic

Whenever I'm with my friends I seem to get in arguments about iPods - most likely because I have a reputation as a hater!

Anyway, my basis revolves around:

a) inflexibility when using Apple software?

b) I've know people who have had many break?

I seem to get frustated that the product is triumph for the marketing department and are bought blindly. Also things like line to phono leads being branded as iPod leads and bumped up in price.

Please tell me everything bad about them to substantiate my defence.

Thanks!

darrenm wrote:

Whenever I'm with my friends I seem to get in arguments about iPods - most likely because I have a reputation as a hater!

Anyway, my basis revolves around:

a) inflexibility when using Apple software?

b) I've know people who have had many break?

I seem to get frustated that the product is triumph for the marketing department and are bought blindly. Also things like line to phono leads being branded as iPod leads and bumped up in price.

Please tell me everything bad about them to substantiate my defence.

Thanks!

Ive alreay ribbed you in your other thread.. ;) but if you want more here goes!

a) whats the problem with the apple software? iTunes is bloody easy to use... you'll say its inflexible, i'll say so what!? its just an mp3 player, and the software lets you copy cds in either MP3 or AAC. AAC at 320 bits sounds great (in the context of an MP3 player) what use is more flexibilty if it already does more than enough for purpose?

b) Lots of things break. you get a warranty... on the other hand ive never been let down by an ipod... touch wood :D

Why is it a triumph for the marketing dept? I didn't buy mine blindly. They have a supremely good UI. They were sucessful in the first place because they were a well designed easy to use product.

as for the cables... go to maplins if it bothers you..

They're fucking shit.

I shall spend my night at work generating a long and comprehensive list of reasons why.

... they really are cuncing crap though.

Oh noes. Hawk this is a haters only thread. Someone go make an ipod bummers thread :)

darrenm wrote:

That's fair enough, but I'm looking for negatives ;)

What about music downloaded from iTunes - is that restricted?

Can you drag and drop mp3 files, or must you use iTunes?

Can the iPod support lossless files?

Is the music restricted? if you go for the higher quality download then no its not. If you buy the cheaper one you can only copy it to 5 different computers...

You can drag and drop mp3 files no problem. You use iTunes to do it though. Open itunes and just drag any music file into the window and bobs your uncle.

Yes it supports lossless files. if you get the 160GB iPod it will carry plenty of them too ;)

Put Rockbox on it, and all is well - drag & drop, lossless (FLAC) etc etc.

iTunes is horrid, and don't buy from their online store - but the hardware is fine.

Not the best sounding though...

Hawk wrote:

darrenm wrote:

Is the music restricted? if you go for the higher quality download then no its not. If you buy the cheaper one you can only copy it to 5 different computers...

You can drag and drop mp3 files no problem. You use iTunes to do it though. Open itunes and just drag any music file into the window and bobs your uncle.

Yes it supports lossless files. if you get the 160GB iPod it will carry plenty of them too ;)

5 computers?? If I buy a CD I can play it where I like! ;)

And drag and drop? It's not drag and drop - i.e. in terms of external harddrive - if you have to open iTunes aka RAM-hogger ;)

Does it support WAV and FLAC? Any format I like?

:) :)

darrenm wrote:

Thanks, Hawk.

And Alex... I want a long list.

I'm thinking inability to use those silly AAC from iTunes on other players?

And the inherently flawed non-replaceable battery?

:)

LOL, you can hate it if you want... but at the end of the day its just an MP3 player.. if you dont like the better sounding AAC files you can always either import them as MP3 in the first place, or use iTunes to convert them from AAC to MP3.

the battery has long since been sorted. Mind you if 15-20 hours playtime between charges is a problem then yep look elsewhere...

Seriously though, the iPod is no better or worse than other stuff out there.. its trendy to hate it I guess, bit like that musical fidelity and Chord crap eh Alex ;):P

darrenm wrote:

Hawk wrote:
darrenm wrote:

5 computers?? If I buy a CD I can play it where I like! ;)

And drag and drop? It's not drag and drop - i.e. in terms of external harddrive - if you have to open iTunes aka RAM-hogger ;)

Does it support WAV and FLAC? Any format I like?

:) :)

Then do what I do... stick to buying CD's.. you can still play them where you like and copy them as many times as you like, and play them on your MP3 player.

Im not getting yer drift re drag and drop... I had loads of wav files on a hard drive, I just dragged them into the iTunes window and it copied them onto the iPod. WAV, MP3, AAC, AIFF and lossless are all supported. Whay would I need anything else? its just an MP3 player...