HiFi Lounge

HiFi Lounge - All Our Latest News + Reviews, PMC, Naim, Bryston, Rega amongst others!

213 posts in this topic

Dealer

Hi All,

Just a quick blog to say that we now have Chord Electronics new 2800 MKII Digital Integrated amplifier on demo. I think it is far to say that Chord really have stolen the DAC market lately, and rightly so, with their fantastic Hugo, TT, 2Qute and shortly to be released DAVE, now I am a big fan of these products so when I heard that Chord were releasing an digital integrated amp and the digital section is basically a Hugo, well I just could resist to get one for demo.

With 120 watts on tap, Bluetooth and a Hugo lurking beneath the beautiful casework this really is an amp worth listening to and at a price of £6690 I would say that seems pretty fair, especially when you see it in the flesh, one thing is for sure, no one makes electronics like Chord :-)

If you would like to pop in for a listen please let me know, below is a link to it on our website and a few pictures -

http://hifilounge.co.uk/chord-cpm-2800-MKII-digital-integrated-amp

IMG_2569_zpsylfeptq5.jpg

IMG_2570_zpsffmxgzkh.jpg

IMG_2571_zpsmmfun4qz.jpg

IMG_2578_zpsrfxmfakt.jpg

IMG_2572_zpsj9w3gquy.jpg

Partnered with the DSX1000 Reference Network Player, Beautiful.

IMG_2599_zpsrmoiozfc.jpg

IMG_2604_zps6mmlstba.jpg

IMG_2605_zps9szuubks.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Dealer

banner-hfl-3rd-4_3_zpsfrv3wdda.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Well as we are fast approaching the 3rd anniversary of HiFi Lounge, it is time to hold the open day I have been waiting for, we have had a few music events at HFL, like our Led Zeppelin day, Bruce Springsteen day, 70’s rock day, but this is the big one for me, the one we have been building up to, an 80’s music day :-)

Being a teenager in the early to mid 80’s means that this is my era really, and ok the late 80’s really weren’t up to much once Stock, Aitken and Waterman started to ruin things, but the early to mid 80’s created some excellent music, for me it was a real golden era, looking back probably the last memorable era of music. Frankie Goes To Hollywood were my band that I really got behind, even dressing like Holly Johnson, better keep that quiet though :-) Every Saturday I would be down the local record shop in Hertford ‘Tracks’ to see what new remix Frankie had released to add to my collection.

So basically on October 24th we are going to celebrate the best of 80’s music, so please do bring along any of your favourite 80’s songs to play on a top end hifi, I was going to do an 80’s vinyl day, vinyl will still play a big part of the day but if you have any classic 80’s on CD then please feel free to bring that along also.

Another great part of this era was the 12” single and the extended remix, a real lost art nowadays, a couple of my favourites were ‘Our House’ by Madness and ’19’ by Paul Hardcastle, not to mention all the Springsteen 12” I’ve got from Born in the USA, so if you have any really great 12” mixes please feel free to bring them along also.

As every year we are hoping to have vinyl for sale on the day, just finalising the details, this is always extremely popular as people get in to a vinyl buying frenzy, me and Wendy included :-)

So if you were into Duran Duran, Culture Club, Frankie Foes To Hollywood, Wham, New Order, Spandau Ballet, Human League, Adam and the Ants, Madness or any other 80’s music please come along to help us celebrate our 3rd Anniversary but more importantly 80’s music, the only thing I will say is that Jason and Kylie will not be tolerated :-)

A small trivia fact, in Back to the Future II, October 21st 2015 is the future day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly visit to prevent Marty Jr. from going to jail, so this is going to be a big 80’s week and I suppose we are now living in that future, bizarre, anyway we’ll have to dig out some Huey Lewis and the News to commemorate this occasion :-)

I’m going to spend the next 2 weeks sorting out all my 80’s 7” and 12” singles and hope to see you on October 24th for some 80’s fun :-) Needless to say that there will be refreshments on the day.

f78b385ccf4df818a48757f0d4408d6a-d4wd1et_zpsl78lpzir.jpg

Other 2015 Open Day News!

Another couple of dates that may be worth marking on the calendar for the last 2 open days of 2105, more details to follow nearer the time

November 28th - Arcam Day. A chance to see and hear Arcam’s new range of Home Cinema receiver’s + the return of Solo Music and Solo Movie, this will be one of only a couple of occasions to see and hear these new products.

Chord Electronics Day - December 5th. I am a huge fan of Chord’s Dac’s and am starting to play around with their amps so I am really looking forward to this day where you will have a chance to hear their new Super £8000 DAC ‘DAVE’ amongst many other things including their top secret new product which we are going to the Shard on October 14th for the launch, we will also be running a Chord HiFi Setup.

Anyway first things first, time to see if I can still fit into my New Romantics clothes from the early 80’s :-) Hope to see you on October 24th.

Cheers,

Paul.

Dealer

Hi All,

Plans are steaming ahead for our 80′s day on Saturday, Barry will be coming along with his vinyl for sale + he will be bringing along his record cleaner, this proved very popular last time.

I have been having great fun going through all my 80′s 7″ and 12″ singles, I just can’t wait to hear some of these classics again on Saturday :-)

But first we have to celebrate Back To The Future Day today as October 21st 2015 is the future day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly visit to prevent Marty Jr. from going to jail.

Now all I need is a Delorean and some Huey Lewis and the News :-)

12109098_10153720891946079_1049561640265737999_n_zpsbidcwrn9.png

Look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday,

Cheers,

Paul.

Dealer

Hi All,

We all know that sales of CD’s and CD Players have taken a bit of a dive lately but we all have a lot of CD’s and I really believe that there will always be a demand for CD Players, particularly at the higher end, at HFL we have seen that there is definitely a case of people buying one last CD Player, so when Musical Fidelity announced that they were going to do a CD Player to join the awesome NuVista 800 amp I was keen to take it on and earlier this week we took delivery, I have to say that it certainly looks the part.

As well as a CD Player it can be used as a DAC as it has digital inputs, what is cool though is that the DAC section can be replaced so if in a few years there is a new DAC technology then the current DAC section can be swapped out for the latest spec, a very good idea.

I had a good listen yesterday with it hooked up to our NuVista 800 amp and it really does sound stunning, almost not sounding like a CD as you get that wonderful warmth of the valves but being a Musical Fidelity product it is also very neutral and honest and although the combination of the NuVista amp and CD Player are not cheap, for the level of performance and build I feel it is excellent value, once you see and hear a NuVista product you’ll see what I mean.

Musical Fidelity are running a trade in promotion at the moment, so if you have a MF CD Player or another brand of CD player please give me a ring and I will run through the options as you may be surprised at how competitive the deals are and it may not cost you as much as you think to own a Musical Fidelity NuVista CD Player.

As ever there is a link below to the NuVista CD Player on our website and a few unboxing pictures below.

http://hifilounge.co.uk/nuvista-by-musical-fidelity

IMG_2699_zpsmfruabkq.jpg

IMG_2702_zps22xmwmh8.jpg

IMG_2704_zpstf19ivps.jpg

IMG_2706_zpsg8vqxj9d.jpg

IMG_2708_zpsfnudmoqf.jpg

IMG_2726_zpsh1cklax5.jpg

IMG_2710_zpsb4mml4rd.jpg

IMG_2718_zpse4ebpbic.jpg

IMG_2716_zps8ceta1rv.jpg

IMG_2720_zps5nyo3h8j.jpg

IMG_2723_zpsi5kgquhi.jpg

Thanks,

Paul.

Dealer

Nearly Ready To Go Back To The 80's Tomorrow!

Hi All again,

Well it’s been a manic day in here today but we are nearly ready to go back to the 80′s tomorrow, really can’t wait, writing this listening to some Adam Ant, fantastic, we’ve got the PMC MB2 SE’s ready along with the Michell GyroDec, Wendy’s busy blowing up balloons and then will be getting the 80′s food prepared, should be a lot of fun tomorrow, look forward to seeing everyone :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

IMG_2730_zpst2z4afw6.jpg

IMG_2732_zpsa9zcm5wu.jpg

Dealer

Arcam%20Banner_zpss1iyavkj.jpg

Hi All,

I just wanted to write a quick blog to highlight our next open day held in conjunctions with Arcam, I have always been a big Arcam fan after falling in love with the AVR600 a few years back, yes it had its faults but it just sounded so musical, anyway Arcam have some great new products being released over the next month or so and this event will be the first opportunity to really see and listen to them.

We will have representative here from Arcam to discuss these products and we will have our upstairs demo room turned over to a cinema setup for most of the day using a PMC Speaker setup comprising of the Twenty.26’s, Twenty.C and Wafer 2’s for rears with a REL S5 for that .1 action. I may also have a SIM2 projector running if I can get it organised in time.

Arcam Solo and Movie are Back

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2015.34.45_zpsygqtga0l.png

First up Arcam are bringing back their ever popular Solo Movie and Music units, basically 2 products, one for the movie lover and another for music lover, both based on their excellent Class G amplification. The Solo Movie will have 5 x 60wpc to drive 5 speakers with a built in Blu Ray drive and will decode the HD movie formats and the Solo Music will have 2 x 80wpc for a stereo setup and will play CD’s and SACD’s as well as Network Streaming, the Movie will be priced at £2000 and the Music will be £1500, these will be on demo on the day.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2015.34.27_zps0ovp1woj.png

Introducing Arcam’s new AVR Receivers.

Arcam’s last range of receivers really did prove very popular thanks mainly to their superb sound quality, there really are not many manufacturers nowadays that make highend receivers that are also musical, this is an area where Arcam has always excelled.

With their new receivers Arcam are saying that they really have moved the bar up to another level so I can’t wait to hear these, the new models are called the AVR550 and AVR850, both units are Atmos compatible and will for the first time for Arcam have very in depth room EQ system, prices are £4,200 for the AVR850 and £2400 for the AVR550.

The Arcam SR250 Stereo Receiver

Another interesting product that Arcam are launching is a 2 channel movie receiver for people who want all the features of a receiver but don’t want loads of speakers around the room so it caters for just 2 channels but at a very high level, the SR250 will cost £2500 and I can see this being very popular indeed.

392_large_zpsgq0hh1pp.jpg

I do have more details on all these products but didn’t want to make the blog too long so please do call if you’d like more information on any of the above, alternatively please come to the open day on November 28th to see and hear these products and discuss with the Arcam representatives, as ever we will have refreshments on the day.

Arcam Promotions!

Finally Arcam have a couple of promotions running at the moment, firstly if you trade in any disc spinner from any manufacturer they will knock £395 off the price of the UDP411 making it a steal at £600, and they are also running a loyalty bonus for customers with an existing Arcam amp where you can trade it in and save against any of their new Class G amps, prices below -

• Purchase an A29 Class G amplifier for £845.00 (includes owners discount - £150.00)
  • Purchase an A39 Class G amplifier for £1,2950.00 (includes owners discount - £300.00)
  • Purchase an A49 Class G amplifier for £3,395.00 (includes owners discount - £600.00)

Anyway back to the open day, It has been a long time since we have done a movie event at HiFi Lounge so I am really looking forward to this one and to see and hear how the new Arcam products stack up.

Hope to see you on the 28th,

Cheers,

Paul.

Dealer

banner-hfl-chord-openday-2a_zpsva2fcjx5.jpg

Hi All,

Well we are definitely going out with a bang for 2015 with 2 open days over 2 weekends, you could argue though that we have saved the best for last with our Chord Electronics Day on December 5th as we will be showing the most hotly anticipated DAC that I have ever known, Chord Electronics DAVE.

Hear DAVE in 2 Setups!

chorddavefront_zpsmcyneufw.jpg

We will not just have one DAVE on demo though but 2, one in HiFi Lounge at the heart of a HiFi setup and another in Highend Headphones in a top end headphone rig, so 2 DAVE’s for the price of one, can’t be bad :-)

I am a huge fan of Chord’s DAC’s, well just like everyone else to be fair and it really is no surprise that they cleaned up at the What HiFi awards a couple of weeks ago winning best DAC at different price points for the Mojo, 2Qute and Hugo. I now have a Hugo TT at home which is superb but I must admit I think that my favourite product of 2015 has to be the Mojo, basically for its size, price and performance it really is a phenomenal piece of HiFi, I use mine daily running Tidal into it from my phone and it will drive any headphone which really is saying something.

Chord Electronics HiFi System

7e9ee04d2477bb999803f9623a9f443b_zpsv5valh1q.jpeg

What I am really looking forward to on the day though is hearing what a full Chord Electronics HiFi system sounds like as I know their DAC’s very well but I have yet to hear a higher end full Chord setup so I can’t wait for this. The idea is to still keep it quite simple, maybe we’ll do a Chord Reference day sometime next year, but for this open day we are going to run an Aurender W20, basically a £13,000 server / player, into DAVE which is also a Pre as well as a DAC then into a Chord SPM 1200 MKII stereo power amp, so a 3 box system which admittedly adds up to around £30k, but in HiFI terms is a reasonably small system, regarding speakers, I am looking to run the PMC MB2 SE’s so we can really hear the Chord Equipment at its best.

Chord Headphone Setup

For the headphone system I was hoping to have the new Audeze LCD-4’s running from another Aurender / DAVE setup, I’m hoping this is still a possibility but the LCD-4’s may have been delayed a little but fingers crossed, if not we will either use the excellent HiFi man HE-1000 or will use DAVE to feed a Stax SR-009 system, now that I can’t wait to hear.

900x900px-LL-49012a16_2_zpsrgsocwqq.jpeg

We will also be running the new Chord CPM 2800 MKII integrated digital amp in our downstairs demo room, this is a special amp as the digital section is basically a Hugo, we will pair this with Chords DSX1000 Reference Streamer, also we will have the Hugo, Hugo TT and 2Qute on display.

ChordCPM%202800%20MkII-2902frontWeb_zpsmh0ergqg.jpg

We will have Chord representatives here on the day to help answer any questions you may have and also as usual we will be offering refreshment throughout the day.

For any Chord Electronics products purchased on the day there will be a special promotion, please get in touch for more information.

So if like me you are curious to hear a full Chord Electronics HiFI setup with DAVE at its heart or would like to hear the best a headphone system can give then please feel free to come along on December 5th.

http://hifilounge.co.uk/chord-electronics

chord-electronics-mojo_zpsacdag7ak.jpg

chord_hugott_zpsktjpjzuf.jpg

chord_2qute_zpsb6io1pdw.jpg

916562a2fa1de0a9_org_zpsuncozrmo.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Dealer

Arcam%20Banner_zpsmmevskwa.jpg

Hi All,

I just wanted to update this quickly to just let everyone know that at our Arcam event this weekend we will be running a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup in our main demo room with a JVC projector and PMC speaker setup :-)

I have never experienced Atmos before so along with this and being able to experience Dirac Live room correction for the first time, well personally I can’t wait for Saturday. Our demo AVR850 arrived yesterday, this is a bang up to date receiver which is fully 4K ready with Atmos and DTS X on board, and our SR250 has just arrived also, this is going to be a really interesting product as there are not many 2 channel products out there with quality room correction built in.

Arcam are coming in tomorrow to help get everything all setup and will be on hand to answer any questions on Saturday so if you would like to come in to experience Arcam’s new products then please feel free to come in anytime.

Hope to see you on Saturday,

Cheers,

Paul

Dealer

Thanks to Everyone who Came to Our Arcam Event, How good was Dirac and Atmos :-)

Hi All,

I just wanted to say a really quick thanks to everyone who came along to our Arcam open day on Saturday and helped make it such a success.

The undoubted star of the show was the new Arcam AVR850 with Dirac and Atmos on board. Since starting HFL 3 years ago I don’t think I have known a product to get so much interest as the AVR850, it really does look like Arcam have something quite special on their hands here, thanks mainly to Dirac.

In the past I have to say that I have always really struggled with room eq for one reason or another but with Dirac enabled it is amazing how it really does help focus the sound giving more apparent detail and an extra level of clarity, this was really noticeable in the downstairs demo room with Dirac running on the SR250, it almost sounded muffled with Dirac off, it really can’t be underestimated the effect a room has on the overall presentation and this is Where Dirac really does work it’s magic by really helping sort those issue out.

Below is a pic of the Dirac graph for our downstairs demo room, the light blue sweep is before Dirac, the orange is the perfect response curve and the green line is what Dirac achieved which is almost bang on and you can really hear the difference, and the real beauty is if you want more bass or less treble you can alter the projected curve and Dirac will match your preferred curve, very clever stuff indeed.

Hifi%20Lounge%20SR250_1_zpsog2whb2e.png

The other great feature of the latest Arcam receivers is Atmos, again something I had never experienced before but I am well and truly converted now and hopefully by the end of this week we will have a full Atmos 5.1.4 system up and running on permanent demonstration. We had a Dolby Atmos demo disc here and the most impressive demo was an audio clip of a 747 taking off and flying overhead, I have to say that was the very first time that I had encountered audio where I couldn’t pin point where the sound was coming from, it was a real wall of sound, quite spectacular.

I am planning to set up our demo AVR850 with a P49 for the front left + right speakers to give us the 9 channels of amplification needed, also got the new JVC X5000 Projector coming in tomorrow for some more cinema goodness :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

Good to see manufacturers are now including Dirac,the software makes a huge difference to my 2 channel set up.

Dealer

Hi Everyone,

Well with only one day left to our last open day of 2015 I just thought I would update this with all the latest news regarding our Chord Electronics open day, this really should be a good one and a fitting end to 2015.

So basically all the kit arrived today other than the 2 DAVE’s, but don’t worry they will be arriving tomorrow with the bang up to date code running on them which apparently sounds a lot better than the version I heard a couple of months ago, this is the final version and the great news is that DAVE is now on the production line so those lucky guys that have placed their orders the wait is almost over, as planned we will be running 1 x DAVE in HiFi Lounge and another DAVE in Highend Headphones.

So as part of the HiFi Rig, we will be running a DAVE into a pair of SPM 1400 MKII Mono’s as well as having a SPM 1200 MKII stereo amp here if required, these will be run into the awesome PMC MB2 SE’s. The source for this rig is very special indeed, as a big fan of Aurender I am really pleased that I have managed to blag their top of the range player, the £12, 999 W20, this fed into DAVE really should be as good as it can get, I can’t wait to find out.

As for the headphone rig, unfortunately the LCD-4′s still haven’t materialised so we will run a selection of other top end headphones including the LCD-3′s, HiFiMan HE-1000′s and the Limited Ultrasone Edition 5′s + anything else that anyone wants to try. We will have DAVE setup as well at the Hugo TT and Hugo, DAVE will be fed by the Aurender N100H so still a very potent headphone rig.

So 2 nice highend setups to see out the end of the year, tomorrow will be a busy day of setting up but look forward to hopefully sitting back a little on Saturday have enjoying some real top end kit, hope to see you there :-)

Managed to get the amps out of the box!

http://hifilounge.co.uk/chord-dave-dac

http://hifilounge.co.uk/chord-lectronics-spm-1400-mkii

IMG_3017_zpsuqhdsqjr.jpg

IMG_3023_zps2saiorac.jpg

IMG_3024_zpsm3fnw0xx.jpg

The mighty Aurender W20, this thing weighs a tonne!

http://hifilounge.co.uk/aurender-w20

IMG_3022_zpstahcf4sd.jpg

IMG_3018_zpsw718d16u.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Dealer

Hi All,

Spent all day yesterday getting everything setup and nicely warmed up, sounding great this morning :-)

The headphone shop is looking particularly good with Mojo, Hugo, Hugo TT and Dave all running so if you'd like to come in today please feel free.

Cheers,

Paul.

IMG_3031_zps01ofsd43.jpg

IMG_3037_zpsdsbbygug.jpg

IMG_3038_zpsa3n1jbde.jpg

IMG_3034_zpsc8fb3ja9.jpg

IMG_3040_zpsywgjsdyx.jpg

IMG_3044_zpstjnnpiof.jpg

Dealer

Below are a few pictures from the headphones shop setup for our Chord Day today.

Cheers,

Paul.

IMG_3045_zpsr6qbgnt1.jpg

IMG_3048_zpslfonqzbk.jpg

IMG_3047_zpsvntmo9hi.jpg

IMG_3049_zpsgxd2jkrb.jpg

Super Wammer

paul, slightly out of my price range most of it, but a great post, well done

Pete

Dealer

Thanks Pete :-)