crimsondonkey

FS: Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier

29 posts in this topic

An opportunity to upgrade has come rather out of the blue so I am going to offer my recent purchase of an Ayre K-5exmp preamplifier for sale.

It is in mint condition, and comes with original box, manual and remote control. It is approx 2 years old.

Its a stunning low noise and high resolution performer, fully deserving of its 2012 Stereophile Recommended Products Class A rating -

Ayre Acoustics K-5xeMP: $3500 ✩

Like all of Ayre’s 5-series products, the K-5xe uses the Ayre Conditioner, a built-in RFI filter that works in parallel with the AC line to reduce background noise, grain, and hash. The original K-5xe added nothing to the original signal and had no sonic signature of its own. ST: “It just got out of the way” subsequently adding that this “superb solid state line-stage preamp is everything you could ask for: neutral, detailed, dynamic, exceptionally low noise, fun to use.” JA felt high Class B was a fair rating for the original version; the Maximum Performance (MP) version incorporates rare, low-noise Toshiba J-FETs for the output buffer stage. The K-5xeMP had dynamics equal to that of the original K-5xe, but produced quieter backgrounds and had a friendlier, more accurate overall balance, with better delineation of images within a wide, deep soundstage. Though it lacked the top-end air of the Parasound Halo JC 2, the Ayre sounded warmer overall, with a fleshier lower midrange. Its measured performance was “about as good as it gets for a solid-state preamplifier,” said JA. Black finish adds $250. (Vol.29 No.5 original version; Vol.34 No.6 MP version Read Review Online)

Review here -

http://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-k-5xesupmpsup-line-preamplifier

Here's a stock picture for now - can supply pics on request.

611ayre.promo_.jpg

I am based in Stourport on Severn, and also travel around the UK with my work so meet up etc is also possible depending on location/ timing etc.

Price - £1400

Pictures of actual unit

P1010007.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Hi-res and dynamic beast this one, beautiful preamp, my brother had one for a fair while which he sold to Def (Dan)

Bloody good price also!

Good luck with the sale CD :^

Bump
Possibly interested... Send me a PM...

Bump

CrimsonDonkey - nice piece, great price. I live in the US but get to the UK (and Redditch) quite often. Does this have a switching power supply or will it only work on 240V? I also have a friend moving to London and is looking for equipment, so I will forward this his way as well.

True gent to deal with and when amplifier is described as mint then it genuinely will be.