Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leonard Smalls

Imaginary Changes?

26 posts in this topic

Papa Lazarou wrote:

PARAGON wrote:
As you say, there were maybe no changes at all, and you had simply unconsciously tried to convince yourself there would be, and reality won over...this may be the same syndrome that convinces people that there hifi sounds so bad the only way to sort it out is to spend £5k on a CD or £500 on a mains lead.

Maybe they do thisbecause they can afford to and want to.

Do you have an issue with that?

I have no issue with that, obviously you do..?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PARAGON wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:
PARAGON wrote:
As you say, there were maybe no changes at all, and you had simply unconsciously tried to convince yourself there would be, and reality won over...this may be the same syndrome that convinces people that there hifi sounds so bad the only way to sort it out is to spend £5k on a CD or £500 on a mains lead.

Maybe they do thisbecause they can afford to and want to.

Do you have an issue with that?

I have no issue with that, obviously you do..?

No - I believe in cables and have invested as such.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papa Lazarou wrote:

PARAGON wrote:
Papa Lazarou wrote:
PARAGON wrote:
As you say, there were maybe no changes at all, and you had simply unconsciously tried to convince yourself there would be, and reality won over...this may be the same syndrome that convinces people that there hifi sounds so bad the only way to sort it out is to spend £5k on a CD or £500 on a mains lead.

Maybe they do thisbecause they can afford to and want to.

Do you have an issue with that?

I have no issue with that, obviously you do..?

No - I believe in cables and have invested as such.

Exactly! some believe, some don't. the world would be a dull place (especially some of the threads here recently) if we all agreed on everything.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My silly take...

At the end of the day Idon't go home, hook up a suite of test instruments, and listen to sweep tones through my hi-fi. I listen to musicthat moves me somehow...an emotional experience. How can emotion thenbe discounted as motivating factor in me choosing one item of kit over another?

I've grown increasingly sceptical of some manufacturer's claims and don't hear some of the differences I used to hear:?At the same time, that doesn't give me the right to rain on someone else's parade. Maybe folks are imagining what they hear, but no one has to justify their experience to me or anyone else. If its all"fantasy" so what?

I can't see why some get their panties in a knot abouthow others spend their money.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow how many timeshas a cable thread gone tits up?Cabling and systemtweaks really do seem to getpeople hot under the collar! :grrr:

Wouldn't a simple solution be to have a section perhaps titled Cables, Cords, and Contraptions where all believers in these sort of things could worship in peace? Those that don't (and we all pretty much by now knowwhos who)could stay well away and read less about it in the general 2 channel debate.

just a thought............

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

speaker jumpers, gold plated brass, new wires copper with higher conductivity.

it can't do any harm....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sq225917 wrote:

speaker jumpers, gold plated brass, new wires copper with higher conductivity.

it can't do any harm....

That's what I thought!

However we're talking a difference of tinyfractions of an ohm..

One day I may try some WankyWireThatCostsLots, but it's difficult to justify £hundreds over £40/50m especially with a quoted resistance of around2 ohms/kilometre, and conservatively rated at around 1500amps@230V!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sq225917 wrote:

speaker jumpers, gold plated brass, new wires copper with higher conductivity.

it can't do any harm....

Don't underestimate those little brass plates across the speaker terminals, as I recently had an interesting experience when I bought a pair of Lake Audio speakers. Read what I said HERE

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who use Dynaudio wouldn't even have a chance to find out whether 5cm of jumpers can make them sound better or not!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well last night we had a long session of vinyl and even though nothing had been changed the system sounded better than it ever has;dunno what it was;could have been anything,mains?better weather?bottle of South African Chardonnay? who knows?:dunno:.

I suppose what I'm getting is that sometimes things sound good and sometimes bad wether you change anything or not.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.