dantheman91

Sony TA-F450ESD

13 posts in this topic

HI

Any good for £30 seen one this morning in my local charity..is it worth it..

Compared to what, I'd say

If you really need an integrated with DAC then you won't find anything else at that price.

However .... I had one a few years ago and it did not stay long. Am sure it get's better higher up the Sony ladder but my TA-F450ESD was thin and brittle.

Dan, Craig is not the only person I have seen say that about the 450ESD. But for £30 buy and if you do not like sell to me for £50! For £150-200 you can many Sony ES amps that are a league above the 450. My advice is always aim for a ES with 90-120W/8 ohms. There was a big differential cost wise from a 450ESD to the TOTR the 630ESD. In the same lineage. Gramophone had an excellent article in their archives but it has disappeared.

If it works for 30 notes you got nothing to loose as you could sell it on if you dont like it Dan. I would take a punt if I were you.

Hoping its still there..as its nice to revist old gear you have had..but i admit its a very slim chance of either being there as its on a main high street..i did'nt think at the time walked away and rememberd halfway through the day..Doh...

Will update this page later with how i get on...

The Sony TA-F540E has landed in excellent condition with the manuel too..It likes my celestion ditton 44 speakers..

Will update later

For £30 it is well worth a try over a 540.

Wouldn't be so sure. The 540/542 were basically rebadged ES amps for the UK market. The 542 I had recently was everything I remembered of my old 500ES.