Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
George 47

Passive Pre-amp

21 posts in this topic

To get the best out of the Nuforce currently residing chez I need a passive pre-amp. But, because one of the TD12s is nearer one of the walls (domestic harmony) I need one with a simple balance control. At the moment I have only found the Promitheus, but there must be others, possibly cheaper, with resistive components.

It is a little odd listening to a one-sided set up direct from CD to power amps, and yes I have moved my chair.

Any suggestions??

Dealer

How cheap do you want george. the promethius is too cheap anyway.

I don't think you can get anything cheaper with that sort of quality.

Get a passive pre with dual volume controls like the Audio Synthesis Passion

hifi addict wrote:

How cheap do you want george. the promethius is too cheap anyway.

I don't think you can get anything cheaper with that sort of quality.

A bit of background: I am/was looking for a summer amp and liked the sound of chip amps and got tempted to try a Class D. After hearing one at Dana's I saw a 9.02 for sale and bought it. It cost about a bit above a grand.

Now I need a pre-amp with baalnce control. The Promethius offers TVCs so attracted my attention but their monos are $600 (without delivery + VAT + import duty). Now Creek do a remote control one at £399 but it is mono. NVA do a £150 one passive but again mono.

Interested by your second comment especially in view of the name of the company;)

So I am probably looking for 2 pots in box.

What a muppet (stop agreeing at the back there :cool:).

NVA sell a P90.

Sneaky being on e-bay though...

Dealer

Buy a pair of Stevens and Billington Attenuating transformers and stick them in a box. ot give them a call and see if they can build you a special one

Ant wrote:

+1 the S&Bs with two separate switches would do the trick.

that would certainly cost a bit more than the promitheus dual mono. S&B trannies are hefty today. glory days are over.

Dealer

Stevens and Billington Transformers are IMHO some of the best. Johnathan Billington Winds all the Atenuating transformers and tests them himself. Each one takes 6 hours to wind. These are definatly not mass produced.

A lot of care and attention is put into his transformers.

hifi addict wrote:

Stevens and Billington Transformers are IMHO some of the best. Johnathan Billington Winds all the Atenuating transformers and tests them himself. Each one takes 6 hours to wind. These are definatly not mass produced.

A lot of care and attention is put into his transformers.

...and lots of hype too. i don't want to repeat what i wrote at other forums, but S&B trannies - good as they are - could be much better if less of the production compromises were involved.

to sum it: you can't have the statement TVC product with an inferior core geometry, no matter what metalurgy tricks you call for. no alloy can substite rules of physics.

and that's also why prometheus TVC sounds too close to the S&B's. notsimilar but too close considering a 1:7 price ratio or so.

griffo104 wrote:

George/Ray,

Having read the ebay ads for these components it does state not to use vinyl unless you use his phono amps. Not sure if this is just scaring people in to purchasing more of his stuff or if there is actually a technical reason for doing it.

I saw that Simon,it could?also be read that you need a phonostage?

Jons P50did work ok with Danas phonostage.

They also state not to use lizt type cable,that is if you use their pre/power combo only.

Jons P50 did work ok with Danas phonostage.

Correct. All it means is that you need to use a phono stage of some sort, but obviously if you're going to use an NVA amp then NVA would prefer that you partner it with their own stage! I will shortly be trying out the P50 with my recently purchased Cambridge 640p in my second system.