Cables

30 posts in this topic

Cables make a huge difference, I've sold my kit and bought an entry level system with £20k worth of wire, wow

Discuss :?

at least it's wired correctly, nice wanky wire and in phase

Admin

Bit too early to light the fuse AK . CJ and Tones probably tucked up in bed now with a nice cup of Horlicks or Ovaltine reading the "The power of the mind and aural imaginations ;);)

you won't put Pirelli P6000s on a Ferrari so you don't wire up a good system with bellwire and freebies. If the tyres should need cryogenically treatment or other kind of treatment then so be it. Cables are an integral part of a system. Whatever makes the hifi portray music better. End of subject.

Rory wrote:

you won't put Pirelli P6000s on a Ferrari so you don't wire up a good system with bellwire and freebies. If the tyres should need cryogenically treatment or other kind of treatment then so be it. Cables are an integral part of a system. Whatever makes the hifi portray music better. End of subject.

I agree that cables are important. I can't help rolling my eyes at some of the prices charged though. FFS, how long can it really take to terminate some machine produced wire?

the profit margins on cables is typically 55-70% IME from working in retail. Thats not what the store sees- they have to deduct VAT from that.

Speakers on the other hand, are typically 35-50%. The VAT still applies to this.

Electronics are 'only' 25-35%. So thats why cables are more expensive. People make more money from them!

hifiwigwam wrote:

I agree that cables are important. I can't help rolling my eyes at some of the prices charged though. FFS, how long can it really take to terminate some machine produced wire?

Longer than you might think when done PROPERLY ;)

Had a set of Black Rhodium XLR's sent to me a while ago to be repaired cos they were decomposing and you shoulda seen the soldering in that :shock:

0.5m pair at £1200 too :?

Effem wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:

0.5m pair at £1200 too :?

£1200.00 0.5m Fer Fucks sake!

I know what you mean about doing it properly, but Frank your prices are quite sensible. And they suit a Market. Even Tony's cables (which are way out of my league) suit a market. But it is the £1200.00 rip off merchants that make me laugh.

they sound nice now though frank and thanks for that once again ;)

BR didn't terminate those though- i suspect the original purchaser bought one as a 1m digital interconnect and then got a 2nd hifi dealer to reterminate them as 2x xlr 0.5m leads so I wouldn't blame BR. Oh, and they were £1500 new :D

Hi Phil, never heard of them, happy with what I have, if it aint broke......

next time your down here, pop over, it's now less bright than the last time you heard it.

Frank. Tried your silver cable XLRs a couple of days ago and then swoppped back to my Atlas navigator RCAs. Sound was smoother with the RCAs (hmmm...might be a problem with my primare CD player balanced output as i had similar results with another pair of XLRs).

The plot thickens :?

Umberto Vanni wrote:

Frank. Tried your silver cable XLRs a couple of days ago and then swoppped back to my Atlas navigator RCAs. Sound was smoother with the RCAs (hmmm...might be a problem with my primare CD player balanced output as i had similar results with another pair of XLRs).

The plot thickens :?

I've been playing with silver speaker cables tonight and they are a lot more quicker and cleaner sounding than I'm used to with my copper jobs. Having said that, the slight bass boom with the Canton's thatI've had andI blamed the room for has also disappeared.

Will follow my own good advice and leave the seriouslistening now until tomorrow.