• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Philv

Vdh orchid interconnect?

14 posts in this topic

Hi

any experiences of he vdj orchid rca analogue interconnect?

thinking of using from cdp to amps.

thanks

I found it to be extremely musical with tight lean bass...overall presentation was just a little too lean for my liking...acoustic guitars for example lost some of their harmonic tonal richness and tended to sound more like Banjos ( not that extreme but by way of tonal description ) . They were more energetic and exciting than the VDH 1st ultimates which tend to be very smooth and relaxed sounding.

All system dependent of course.

regards meek

Hum

cant use the first ultimate as not suitable for power amps etc

maybe the second which is similar i think with additional shielding

yes thats about it, i also sometimes use a vdh gold xlr which is excellent , smooth and detailed [ can`t use at moment as no xlr sockets!!]

Hum

cant use the first ultimate as not suitable for power amps etc

maybe the second which is similar i think with additional shielding

Any idea why?

Why is The FIRST ® Ultimate equipped with a heavier shield?

With our classic The FIRST ® connecting to some brands of tube amplifiers in very rare occasions a slight background hum is audible. This weak hum is caused by excessive ground currents flowing through the (unbalanced) cable’s resistive shield, adding up to the audio signal. The FIRST ® Ultimate’s heavier shield exhibits a much reduced electrical series resistance, thus minimizing the risk of experiencing hum problems.

What are these so called “ground currents”?

Due to the fact that most audio equipment in your installation is powered by the mains voltage, an unavoidable hum voltage residual is induced on all cabinets and audio grounds. At all audio devices these residual voltages are of different magnitude (or phase) and will balance out by means of ground currents flowing through the shields of your interconnecting cables. Generally, these ground currents are in the same order of magnitude as the audio signal currents being transferred (microAmperes); When using unbalanced interconnects they are likely to interfere, thereby reducing transparency and imaging.

What can be done?

With the Van Den Hul POLARITY CHECKER , you can simply fine-tune your audio system to eliminate, or at least strongly reduce, these residual ground currents and thus improve your system’s performance.

In persistent hum situations one can bypass the shield of The FIRST ® or even The FIRST ® Ultimate with a metal wire, or switch to our Linear Structured Carbon ® cables: The FIRST ® Metal Screen or The SECOND ® which have a metal shield of their own.

The reality is that ground current "hum" is rarely a problem on any well designed and made unbalanced interconnects which for most domestic lengths exhibit as low a background noise (if audible at all) as most balanced cables IME. Where chassis ground current potential is high between connected pieces of kit, the above statement from VDH is not entirely true. It is the inductive coupling of excessive ground current noise into the SIGNAL conductor that results in the hum, and not the presence of ground current noise in the shield or ground return per-se that causes the problem. Any decent RCA interconnect should have a lower impedance ground return (shield) than signal conductor so that induced noise (if present) is reduced to all but inaudible levels. More often than not, it's EMI that proves more problematical with poorly shielded unbalanced interconnects or ground loop problems often associated with connected kit. IC's do not have to be any more complicated than a good quality coaxial cable design or overall shielded pair (shield connected to source end) to perform at the highest performance levels needed.

:hash:

I tried VDH First ultimate between pre and a Leak amp. Yep, they hummed in that position but not elsewhere. Interesting sound but they can be bettered for less.

Well im using chord chameleon silver plus at the moment

but not convinced by them - though my previous ai700 sounded better before changing to the chord.

now considering solid silver as possibly smoother?

very confusing - nedd to buy secondhand as funds dont permit 250 on interconnects.

but going my reviews on the net very difficult

i just want a detailed neutral cable that is also smooth without sacrificing the dynamics of my systemlol

any ideas?

on onevretailer site it explicitely said the first ultimate was not suitable for my purposes - and said to use the second ultimate

Amongst those who believe that cables make a difference (quite a few people here think that there is no difference between correctly made cables), I don't think many would characterize silver as smooth. Unless they're well made, they tend towards the bright and you can get a rough treble if anything in your system is not right. Basically, the polar opposite of VDH First Ultimate. If I were looking for an alternative to the VDH, I would probably do something like this http://www.hificables.co.uk/11730/Atlas-Hyper-MKII-Symmetrical-Interconnect-.html