Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darrenm

Copland amps

50 posts in this topic

Wammers,

I want to try a Copland amp as I like my CDP and I'm into a warm and smooth sound this month, although I'm sure I was liking PRaT in May. Anyway...

There's a CSA8 on eBay. Priced at £550? I thought this is a bit high? Does this preceed the CSA28?

Who uses a Copland amp? Which one? And with what other bits and what music?

Which are the good models and what should I pay second hand?

Any comments welcome!

There may be a CSA-8 in the classifieds soon and it would be a bit less than 550 ;)

The CSA-8 is a feature-stripped, all solid state version of the CSA-14. Sounds a fucking treat to be honest. Copland is not warm but it is smooth, refined and punchy with great texture to instruments. Great with electronic music and jazz.

had a csa 14 for years (valve hybrid, 60wpc)...excellent little amp, smooth, detailed, plenty of music. Beware tho, not HUGE amount of drive and grip so didnt get on well with big and inefficient floorstanders with loose bass. Everything else fine tho.

I'm using a csa 14 into focal 1007s and as the Meister has said, there isn't enough drive, it's ok on vocals and instrumentals but rock, it loses it.. though funnily Pink Floyds Animals works great on the TT but sucks on the CD.

Your Dyns are I think even harder to drive, so my guess is that if you want the Copland sound you need at least 100 watts.

Cheers

Geo.

P.S. I paid 400 for mine last year.

Yes I used a CSA-8 with my 1.3 SE's and it has trouble keeping the bass tight, still it did other things very well. Strangely I found it to be very good with rockmusic but only problem was keeping the bass tight with difficult speakers. The Primare is more refined(but is a bit less exciting then the Copland) and has good control of the low frequencies the csa-8 lacked. I think that the Copland may be good with the 1.1 Dyn's though as they should be a lot easier to drive then the 1.3SE. CSA-8 doesn't have remote control though and first versions(like mine) only have 3 inputs and no tapeloop so keep an eye out for that. Also think that 550 is way to mutch money.

Heard Dannish's CSA-28 valve hybrid integrated recently and was Very impressed :^

I had a CTA520 (125Wpc) Power Amp on home audition for a week and hated it, after 4 days I switched it off and put my Rega integrated back into service and started listening to music again.

Edit : Got model no wrong :oops:

As an addendum, It transformed the Tannoy R3's I had, the Copland made them sing, and the sound they make on stuff like Ray Lamontagne, with the Focals.......MMMMMMMM fabulous...

G.

unintended1 wrote:

Nice 1. How do the 2 Coplands sound with the Dyn's? Do they tame rough recordings like the Arctic Monkeys at all?

It's interesting how the presentation differs.

I've listened to Bloc Party just now, which is also compressed Indie.

I'll listen to the Arctic M's later on, but I'm popping out now.

I'm sure I'll write a review by next week :)